Unique Weapons

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

JediMindTrix

Re: Unique Weapons

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:02 am
That's because a racial longbow + Arcane Archer might not be such a swell idea.
It'd end up Half-Orc only anyway with 99 UMD

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Richørd wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm
While this is still going on I will just post a small list with all the weapon types that dont have UWs :

- Greataxe
- Halberd
- Handaxe
- Kama
- Katana
- Kukri
- Scimitar
- Scythe
- Dagger
- Rapier
- Club
- Heavy Flail
- Light Flail
- Mace
- Morningstar
- Warhammer
- Quarterstaff

Especially bludgeoning weapons seem to have a lack of UWs ... and holy smokes, spears have 5 of them?!
To expand on what Cortex said, it's unlikely in the extreme that kamas, katanas, scythes, scimitars, rapiers, kukris, or quarterstaves will get a unique variant added. These weapons are already mechanically advantageous, and several (namely katanas and quarterstaves) have had changes made to their basic functionality to make them more attractive choices.

As for spears, the reason they have so many unique variants is because, up until the update that made them one-handed weapons, they ONLY had a bronze and an iron version. When the mechanical change was pushed, the unique spears were added in lieu of the standard weapon progression.

And there is a unique light flail for goblins.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

I'd like to see a Unique Longsword for Paladins that made it not dumb to use anything other than a Scimitar.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Rwby wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm
I'd like to see a Unique Longsword for Paladins that made it not dumb to use anything other than a Scimitar.
Instead of unique weapon i would give paladins feat proficiency with bastard swords. It is a knightly weapon. Without a need to waste a feat onto it, maybe more of them would be inclined to use it instead scimitar :D

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Rwby wrote:
Longswords are actually already fairly good for paladins, especially those who go deep into the class. If you can find a Blade of Roses (longsword with +3 charisma on it) then rune/enchant it to be keen, you've got a really solid weapon to throw an essence and a bless weapon on.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm
Rwby wrote:
Longswords are actually already fairly good for paladins, especially those who go deep into the class. If you can find a Blade of Roses (longsword with +3 charisma on it) then rune/enchant it to be keen, you've got a really solid weapon to throw an essence and a bless weapon on.
So, like having a unique weapon for Paladins, only requiring a % loot drop that will only be in the loot Matrix for a period of time?
;)

I'll stick with a craftable Blade of Roses, thanks!

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Rwby wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm
Hunter548 wrote:
Rwby wrote:
So, like having a unique weapon for Paladins, only requiring a % loot drop that will only be in the loot Matrix for a period of time?
;)

You realize that all of the unique craftable items require a %loot drop item plus a crafter, right? It's not a terribly different scenario.

Hell, some of them require several loot items to craft: Moonblade, and the Dale Sword, at least off the top of my head.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 pm
Rwby wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm
Hunter548 wrote:

;)

You realize that all of the unique craftable items require a %loot drop item plus a crafter, right? It's not a terribly different scenario.

Hell, some of them require several loot items to craft: Moonblade, and the Dale Sword, at least off the top of my head.
But those are ingredients, yes? The difference being that I assume [Maybe falsely] that components and base items will always be part of the drop system, where as specific items [Like the Ring of the Ram, etc] are rotated in, and out.

You'll always be able to craft a Moonblade. You might not always be able to get a Blade of Roses.
And who wants to build a Paladin, planning on finding a longsword to use, possibly taking Longsword related feats, to discover that by the time they're getting the proper level loot, it's been removed from the Matrix? Crafting representings consistancy and reliability.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Cortex wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm
I wouldn't hold my breath for unique weapons for each type, some do not even need it.
True. Just felt like pointing them out... and yeah, as was already pointed out by someone else there actually is a UW recipe for light flails. It's fixed.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Rwby wrote:
Or there is that longsword with d6 damage from all elements. Not bad, when you can add enchantment on it as paladin.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:15 am

That Light Flail actually only need a goblin to make it, any evil or 25 UMD can use it. Evil Light Flail WM ahoy!

(PLEASE DONT CHANGE THIS)

Post by Avatar-bob » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 am

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
Jagel wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:28 am
Also because

Things that would be awesome to have on the server > developer time.
"A more advanced tier of recipes is now available for Longbows, Shortbows, Light Crossbows, Heavy Crossbows, and Slings (Tailoring)."

You can't flash this in front of players not excite imaginations. Considering the Grand LB is req 16, unique variants seemed the next logical step (I was wrong apparently). Also, time be damned, I can dream! :D
flower wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am
Once again, unique weapons are not to serve as power creep but to make up for things lagging behind.

:? :roll:
I don't want power creep. I want variation. Also, I'd be curious to see what you considered as "lagging behind". From what I gather, ranged combat as a whole very undesirable; only seriously undertaken by a handful (currently). If you want to encourage build diversity, maybe we need to reasons to bring non-optimal ranged builds into practice (I'm thinking of Madawc from D3). :roll:
JediMindTrix wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 pm
Cerk Evermoore wrote:
It'd end up Half-Orc only anyway with 99 UMD
This man speaks truth... and it depresses me. :?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 am

Have some faith, I'd make it gnome only so it's fair.
:)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 am

Cortex wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 am
Have some faith, I'd make it gnome only so it's fair.
"Gnomish Longbow +5"
"UMD required 110"

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 am

Fey only Longbows, surely? ;)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Monk only Tower Shields.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:53 am

flower wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm
Rwby wrote:
Instead of a unique weapon i would give paladins feat proficiency with bastard swords. It is a knightly weapon. Without a need to waste a feat onto it, maybe more of them would be inclined to use it instead scimitar :D
Good ideas there on both account of unique longsword or paladins having feat proficiency with bastard sword. Maybe give paladins the same treatment as Rogues with Rapier/Dagger and Dwarves with Battleaxe/Dwarven Waraxe. Any weapon feats into Longsword will also be applied to Bastard Swords, as well.

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Astegard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Barbarian weapon:
Name: Big boulder
Type: Throwing axe
Model: the rock giants npcs throw
Weight: 100lbs a piece
Bonus: on hit earthquake lvl 1 something

Materials x marble