Elemental Resistance Spells

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

JediMindTrix

Elemental Resistance Spells

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Am I the only one who finds these exceedingly underwhelming? Even Energy Buffer?

Due to their limited nature and Vancian casting there's very little point to memorizing these spells over others of similar levels, that I'm aware of (especially since Hellball's change no longer gives Energy Buffer a niche-use), because most sources of elemental damage will chew through them very, very fast.

I think changing the flat, stoneskin like damage soak to a % damage immunity would make the spells more far useful without changing their flavor.

The 1st level spell grants 5% elemental resistance, then next grants 10%, until Energy Buffer where it is a flat 20% + 1%/2 caster level or something.
Last edited by JediMindTrix on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PinataPlethora

Re: Elemental Resistance Spells

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm

They're really designed for a setting where elemental damage primarily comes from spells, rather than being double stacked on every single melee hit. I usually don't bother, and just bring another healing kit.

I think the total damage absorption could be doubled or even tripled without breaking things. Not sure how much that would skew PvP, though.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm
They're really designed for a setting where elemental damage primarily comes from spells, rather than being double stacked on every single melee hit. I usually don't bother, and just bring another healing kit.
Yea, and it can come from environments too, like Minauros/Dis for example. Also, even a lot of elemental based dmg spells one-shot that dmg soak to oblivion.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm

They used to have a very specific use as a means to block the damage from a hellball. Now that hellball's been changed to mag/pos/div/neg it really doesn't have a purpose at all except to literally make my eyes bleed when a large group emerges from a transition with all their summons buffed to heck with it.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm

these spells should be like Regenerate, where they start with x amount of protection vs damage type, and regenerate that resistance back to x over time if they take damage. could even use the same metrics as regenerate to work out how fast it regens.

would also be good if the spell could be manipulated using -stream, to give double resistance against the -stream you set, and half as much to everything else.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Honestly, it's been years since I ever thought of them as anything but an RP tool to explain how everyone is able to constantly stand around in snowstorms chatting.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm

They used to be important when Hellball did elemental damage. After that, their usefulness fell off dramatically.
:)