"a monster cast a spell, and now i can't play for 30 minutes"

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

thingsicantdo

"a monster cast a spell, and now i can't play for 30 minutes"

Post by thingsicantdo » Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

i really thing low level areas with monsters who cast storm of vengence are a bad idea...

telmarael

Re: "a monster cast a spell, and now i can't play for 30 minutes"

Post by telmarael » Sat May 26, 2018 3:27 pm

thingsicantdo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm
i really thing low level areas with monsters who cast storm of vengence are a bad idea...
Hello! Ahaha, I understand your frustration :) Just carefully pull the monster, wait for it to cast the spell. DONT RUN OFF WHEN HE IS STILL CASTING, because the spell drops right at your head, or you'll interrupt the cast and the monster will have to cast it again, then you might have no room to escape the effect. And then leave the spell effect area. That's all! Good luck
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat May 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Yes, the spell requires strategy. You can nullify the stun effect, you can evade the area, you can disrupt the spell before it is casted. It's not as bad as a save or die spell, and has plenty of counters.

Treat it as a learning experience!
Please don't feed my sister.

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm

i know how to deal with it, but my level 8 fighter doesn't have enough ranks of spellcraft for me to justify roleplaying his understanding of the apex of clerical power.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat May 26, 2018 4:29 pm

thingsicantdo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm
i know how to deal with it, but my level 8 fighter doesn't have enough ranks of spellcraft for me to justify roleplaying his understanding of the apex of clerical power.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat May 26, 2018 4:56 pm

thingsicantdo wrote:
Big storm that is raining acid and shooting lightning over their heads and in a very defined area.
I mean, I'm all for knowing the limits of your character... but this doesn't sound like one of them.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Sat May 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:56 pm

I mean, I'm all for knowing the limits of your character... but this doesn't sound like one of them.
acid rain deals "meh" damage. less than a bullywug.

sudden lightning strike deals 50+ damage, and now i watch, literally stunned (the status condition) as i die.

we're talking about blatant metagaming, which is ok, i guess. the DM came in and gave the go-ahead

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Sat May 26, 2018 7:27 pm

My first reaction to a cleric casting something with so much pomp (and the spell has a bright and loud effect) would be to run, like the guys on a gif above do.
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 pm

telmarael wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:27 pm
My first reaction to a cleric casting something with so much pomp (and the spell has a bright and loud effect) would be to run, like the guys on a gif above do.
sure. i know a SoV when i see it. i can conveniently explain it away, too. (my character didn't know what the spell was. he suddenly had to go to the bathroom).

but we're digressing a lot, here. either a.) low level dungeons shouldn't have party wipe spells (particularly in a dungeon where it's literally the first mob you see there), or b.) low level characters shouldn't be slapped with a 30+ minute wait, just for not knowing the server and/or metagaming the mobs.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

I think it's fair to say your character knows what lightning is, and knows that when the green rain hits him it hurts. So just move.
\

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat May 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Unless you're on a DM-run quest I don't think any DM will punish a player for properly preparing for whatever they're going to face in PVE. Even if the character has never been there before, which isn't a thing DMs would even keep track of.

If you choose to stand there and take a Storm of Vengeance because your character doesn't know what it is and you consider it metagaming to prepare or run, that's admirable I guess but it's also a bit beyond what is necessary or expected. I don't think this is a thing that would affect RP rating or even be noticed.

The game mechanics are going to be at odds with RP a lot of the time and you have to know when to let it go. I don't think monsters should be planned with the idea that players are actively trying not to metagame (since in reality, this would make things too easy for those who don't have that standard.)

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm

IC excuse #1 not to have metagamed the spell.....

OH DAMN...THAT THINGS CASTING A SPELL AT ME...RUUUUUN!!!

Void

Post by Void » Sat May 26, 2018 10:10 pm

thingsicantdo wrote:
I think if the fighter has a brain, after getting hit with this thing couple of times he or she will start recognizing the pattern and effects of this spell. It is always the same words, same effects, and it always starts raining ... meaning RUN. Doesn't mean the fighter will know what spell it is, what it is called, and what level/circle it is. Just "bad things happen when they start doing that, so RUN".

I mean.... Running the hell away when a mage or cleric gets close and starts chanting and waving hands in your general direction is a very reasonable and sound strategy. Trying to knock them down is another possibility, although a much riskier one.

I kinda wonder which level 8 area has storm of vengeance. I only encountered it in one place and that was definitely not a level 8 zone.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm
so, do you run every time a monster priest begins casting "cure moderate wounds"?

this whole "you know what the spell does, so just metagame it because we think it's funny when newbies get hit for 50+ lightning damage and a DC28 reflex save to avoid it happening again every round until they die" thing is kind of grating, really. i don't have a hard time running away. i know how to deal with a caster. i just think it's a completely inappropriate thing to throw at a low level character.

i mean, if metagaming for XP gain is fine, then it's game on. i just thought that since it was against the spirit of the server, we should try to facilitate "proper" play, instead of punishing it with outrageous scenarios.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sun May 27, 2018 12:00 am

I would tend to run away as acid starts to rain from the sky. But that might just be me.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Sun May 27, 2018 12:22 am

It also doesn't mean you can not play for 30 minutes. Maybe you are hit with respawn sickness and the effects are so bad you can't hunt monsters for 30 minutes? If that is what you mean, then there is actual roleplay that can be done in that time.

"Wow, we got hit hard on that one. Let's take a break while we recuperate and talk about how we might do that better the next time." Or whatever strikes your fancy.

Just a thought. ;)

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 am

thingsicantdo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm
i mean, if metagaming for XP gain is fine, then it's game on. i just thought that since it was against the spirit of the server, we should try to facilitate "proper" play, instead of punishing it with outrageous scenarios.
Metagaming against another player, PVP or otherwise, is an awful thing to do and should be avoided at all costs.

Metagaming against PVE monsters is understandable as long as you stay creative and in character. Don't passive aggressively shame the rest of us for knowing OOC to prepare for things our characters might not know, it is still a video game.

I do agree with above that this probably isn't really a level 8 area.. Even if a writ for it is available at that level. Some writs do need to be looked at to see if they're really appropriate for the level they are available.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun May 27, 2018 12:32 am

thingsicantdo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm
Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm
so, do you run every time a monster priest begins casting "cure moderate wounds"?

this whole "you know what the spell does, so just metagame it because we think it's funny when newbies get hit for 50+ lightning damage and a DC28 reflex save to avoid it happening again every round until they die" thing is kind of grating, really. i don't have a hard time running away. i know how to deal with a caster. i just think it's a completely inappropriate thing to throw at a low level character.

Most idiots at the age of 5 know what a healing spell looks like in the realms since at SOME point in their life...they have SEEN a priest cast a healing spell...so...its NOT metagaming to realize HEY, HES CASTING SOMETHING HOSTILE AT ME!!!

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Sun May 27, 2018 12:41 am

local man thinks the game world should cater to characters that are too braindead to run away from the terrifying magic thunderstorm.
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun May 27, 2018 12:43 am

this is the most non discussion discussion of 2018 thus far
:)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 am

*i go to youtube and i upload a video*

*i post the video link here*

*the video shows my level 6 guy walking up to the sea bandit priest*

*he doesnt actually walk up to him because i dont wanna get con/str/whatever reduced from that trap, but with some '...smart' aggro maneuvering i get the priest and his goons to leave their little room that has a poison trap at the entrance*

*i know there's a trap in there because im a metagamer(1)*

*i get away with metagaming anyway*

*i dispose of the goons while the priest is busy being bugged. thanks beamdog*

*i use healing kits. i do this mid-combat as well*

*finally the priest decides to deal with me. he insta-buffs himself. thanks beamdog*

*i start hitting him. he starts casting some spell. i dont care which spell it is, i run into cover to break his line of sight so that his casting never completes*

*whoops. i messed up, he casted storm of vengance. i failed to get away from his los in time. I give him one last whack over the head before I start running away from the acid rain of death and suffering*

*i do this because im a metagamer(1). my guy is literally a brick, wielding a sword, how could he know what the rain really does*

*i get away with it, again*

*priest runs to me again and i keep slapping him*

*he starts casting a hold spell, but i dont care. i try to get away from his line of sight, again, because im robust(2)*

*or maybe i drink a clarity potion to prevent the paralyze. who knows?*

*somehow, the priest is still alive and he even managed to get out his high level elemental summon*

*the summon kills me. im not quite sure what to do about that, it's a good summon*

*or I kill the priest just in time. this video is starting to get really confusing at this point...*

*anyway, i win, hooray*

*i do a little dance at the end as the camera zooms in on my guy's helmet for fun or something i dont Snuggle a Bugbear know*

(1)- I'm not actually metagaming here (or am I?). It's a joke. I don't really have much else to say about this,
(2)- Another 'joke'. Getting out of the line of sight is really simple, do it often in PvE ( and in PvP if you can ).

So should that priest in a level 6-10 dungeon have Storm of Vengeance, a level 9 cleric spell? Probably not. Arelith isn't the best when it comes to dungeon design ( that guy has a hold spell. god forbid you're playing a really tanky character, you'll be stuck in there for minutes ), but it does it's job decently enough for me to be able to get to level 30 without losing my mind. Here is an interesting thing about this specific dungeon. This boss is kind of 'optional'. You have to either bash down the door or unlock it, at least I can confirm this to be true about this boss in particular. But like you've seen in the video I uploaded, he's still doable at a lower level anyway if you play your cards right. This was done with a single character. Imagine what more people can do to him.

What does this all mean?

Learn the game! It's super fun when you can pull some slick moves. I love weapon masters! Have no friends? Neither do I. I also use forums to vent my frustrations. Will it get us anywhere? Any consolations? Probably not. Even though people aren't allowed to call you dumb and some might feel very tempted to, so it's unlikely you'll become furtherly agitated, you won't find much peace here. The key is not finding the solution and advocating that Arelith's poor choices be fixed ( or finding an ointment for the wounds sustained while playing it! ), but instead to adapt to them! Ever watched that movie with that boxer saying some inspirational stuff about never giving up no matter what? Yeah I don't know, it doesn't matter. Listen.

>> (a picture of me(*im very ugly in this picture))

THIS ugly Snuggybear is KDing Abazzur and criting her for like 1000 damage per round and basically you main rangers.
How?
Just watch this free video>> notavirus.url

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun May 27, 2018 3:40 am

Sometimes you worry me, Tarkus.

I suppose I should actually contribute something to this thread, so here goes:

You're holding yourself to a stricter standard of RP than the server requires of you. That's fine, you do you, etc. However, if I were you, I would not expect design decisions to be made with your RP standard in mind.

File this one under: Sometimes my character dies because they weren't prepared. Next time they will know better, because in this game your character can learn from their deaths. Not being able to grind for 30 minutes isn't the end of the world.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 am

I understand where you're coming from and wanting to 'not metagame' is really admirable and not something I'd want to poke fun at someone for. It's good to play every aspect of a character including their flaws, and metagaming is never appropriate even if it's just PvE.

Having said that though, I think there are some creative ways around the problem that don't involve metagaming. For example, your character may not have enough spellcraft/lore to recognise what spell is being cast, but now that they witnessed what 'some' spells can do, when they see the dark storm forming it would be a reasonable IC assumption that they should run away. Maybe because they don't understand spells, now they are just weary of most spells with a large AoE visual and refuses to be inside of them. Maybe a friendly character will cast one of these spells and something funny will happen.

I'm not saying metagame. Don't. But I'm sure you can come up with something that's true to your character and their stats.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun May 27, 2018 6:02 am

You don't need spellcraf tto identify the giant storm and the giant golden casting visual effect as something probably bad. We can presume casting effects reasonably have the appearance of the resulting spell, so SoV probably looks like it's calling a giant storm. You don't need spellcraft to know how to deal with that after the first time it happens to you.

Just run.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 am

However - Finger of Death in the driders, now that's a different matter.