"a monster cast a spell, and now i can't play for 30 minutes"

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: "a monster cast a spell, and now i can't play for 30 minutes"

Post by Morderon » Tue May 29, 2018 1:50 pm

I support treating every spell from a hostile mage that says *casting unknown spell* as the one that's going to kill you or force you to use resources better to just avoid no matter what it is.

I enjoy slamming doors in monster faces .

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm

So I still disagree with the assertion that Storm of Vengeance presents an insurmountable or overly difficult challenge to low-level characters. As has been pointed out, there are a number of ways to handle it which are available even at low levels, such as disrupting the caster or running away. The counterpoint that OP's character doesn't know these options doesn't really hold up for me - not because I support metagaming, but because not knowing how to counter a threat will increase the difficulty of ANY dungeon or encounter far beyond what it is otherwise. That doesn't seem like a good reason to remove the threat, but rather for your character to adopt a more cautious style, perhaps researching the dangers of a dungeon before going there so that they CAN be prepared.

I've been assuming this whole time that we're talking about the Umberlee Priest boss in the pirate lair along the shore of the Dark Heart, by the way. If it is him, the one bit of feedback I would give is that his room could stand to have a bit more signalling. It's fairly easily to stumble into it with no idea that you're walking into a boss fight.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 am

I still don't understand why it's metagaming to have your character run in fear from the massive green storm cloud.
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Wed May 30, 2018 9:29 am

if you think that's metagame you need to reconsider your life choices lmao

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 am

To be honest there are some places in game that can result in pretty cheap deaths if you don't metagame. For example the sonic trap leading to the Charnel House boss, the trap doesn't disappear even after it's triggered, most likely stuns your character and the boss has nasty aoe spells as well.