Remove Curse Scrolls & Clerics

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Fenguard

Remove Curse Scrolls & Clerics

Post by Fenguard » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Why this?
Image Image
Is it possible to have Cleric added to that list so those of us that make poor life choices can use the scrolls we craft ourselves?

Nitro

Re: Remove Curse Scrolls & Clerics

Post by Nitro » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am

It's one of several scrolls that bioware borked in the base game others such as Owl's Wisdom scroll excludes clerics, and the silence scroll excludes bards. Probably a bunch more obscure spell scroll/class combos that don't work too.

Fenguard

Post by Fenguard » Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am

Nitro wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am
It's one of several scrolls that bioware borked in the base game others such as Owl's Wisdom scroll excludes clerics, and the silence scroll excludes bards. Probably a bunch more obscure spell scroll/class combos that don't work too.
Ah, and given it's not fixed I'm guessing it's hardcoded and unmodifiable?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 am

clerics dont need to use the scrolls because they cast the spell
Yes I can sign

Fenguard

Post by Fenguard » Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 am
clerics dont need to use the scrolls because they cast the spell
That means preparing it in a spell slot constantly, not something preferable when I could have something more widely useful prepared. Clerics are not spontaneous. :P
Especially with limited resting on this here server.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Fenguard wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am
Nitro wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am
Ah, and given it's not fixed I'm guessing it's hardcoded and unmodifiable?
It's not that kind of hardcoded, the devs can create an exact copy with the same resref/tag with the corrected usability and it will override the resource that ships with the game.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm

afaik you can still make wands of remove curse, or use those wands crafted by other clerics.
JediMindTrix wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm
It's not that kind of hardcoded, the devs can create an exact copy with the same resref/tag with the corrected usability and it will override the resource that ships with the game.
If they can do that, can they change wands of endurance to be CL 15 akin to the other zoo spells?
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm

If it's handled by a script, yes. If it's handled by a .2da, probably. They changed the prices on wand crafting in a 2da so I assume so

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Given it's a base NWN thing, could push this for Beamdog to change.
Please don't feed my sister.

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm
If they can do that, can they change wands of endurance to be CL 15 akin to the other zoo spells?
this was a funny decision to me, especially when the gifts were new.

originally, the CL of endurance was set low, because having a constant CON buff was considered too powerful. i read somewhere that "people would just be walking around with extra hit points" or something of the such (it's been about a decade since i read that ruling, bear with me). then, the gifts came out, and having extra hit points was apparently not~ as strong as the other stats, and it had only a +.5ecl.

now, it's been changed to be in line with the other attributes, but the wand remains unchanged.

to be fair, though, i think the balance team involved with the gifts also did the super gold drops, dragon pcs, and weavemasters... all of which were awful ideas in retrospect. fun to remember, though

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu May 17, 2018 1:23 am

thingsicantdo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 pm
Wytchee wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm
this was a funny decision to me, especially when the gifts were new.

originally, the CL of endurance was set low, because having a constant CON buff was considered too powerful. i read somewhere that "people would just be walking around with extra hit points" or something of the such (it's been about a decade since i read that ruling, bear with me). then, the gifts came out, and having extra hit points was apparently not~ as strong as the other stats, and it had only a +.5ecl.

now, it's been changed to be in line with the other attributes, but the wand remains unchanged.

to be fair, though, i think the balance team involved with the gifts also did the super gold drops, dragon pcs, and weavemasters... all of which were awful ideas in retrospect. fun to remember, though
You got it backwards, it was never an Arelith specific change, it's in the base game.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Craft_wand
Scroll down to endurance, it's cast level is just 3 by default, nothing to do with people walking around with CON buffs anywhere.