Alternative ways of raising piety for H&H and T&D

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Void

Alternative ways of raising piety for H&H and T&D

Post by Void » Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 pm

It would be nice to have alternative means of raising piety for those aspects.

I'm looking at a new character right now, and deities that thematically would fit have no altars on island, and are all T&D/H&H. The character has 0 bluff.

Basically, there doesn't seem to e ba way of raising H&H unless you're a cleric,
and T&D requires maxed bluff, probably with gift and ton of enchantments on top of that. It fits very small array of characters, unlike War.

Or, perhaps it would be a good idea to consider adding a third aspect? I don't know.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

ArcanaFTW

Re: Alternative ways of raising piety for H&H and T&D

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 pm

T&D doesn't need a huge bluff score. NPCs you pass will often make checks and fail, along with the occasional player.

H&H admittedly sucks, even for clerics/druids. No way around that one.

Void

Post by Void » Fri May 11, 2018 1:50 am

ArcanaFTW wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 pm
T&D doesn't need a huge bluff score. NPCs you pass will often make checks and fail, along with the occasional player.
It requires roughly 40 bluff to be consistent source of piety. Otherwise the deity might decide to intervene and "protect your privacy", eating 25% piety.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 am

I don't like that raising trickery requires you be in disguise when there's no other RP reason to be. Not every trickery worshipper is going to even be interested in using a fake name and walking around in a wig all the time, disguise should be a niche and situation thing.

Not to mention clerics who need it most don't have a lot of skill points for bluff, generally.

Void

Post by Void » Fri May 11, 2018 3:15 am

Tourmaline wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 am
I don't like that raising trickery requires you be in disguise when there's no other RP reason to be. Not every trickery worshipper is going to even be interested in using a fake name and walking around in a wig all the time, disguise should be a niche and situation thing.

Not to mention clerics who need it most don't have a lot of skill points for bluff, generally.
Yeah, that. If it worked for pickpocket and hide/move silently it would be great.

Speaking of clerics, clerics have advantage of being able to consecrate altars and holding ceremonies.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 am

It's known that some aspects are harder to deal with than others. Lemme just drop a quote from Xerah from the last time this came up:
Xerah wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm
Most of the suggestions here have already been scripted but the updates were on hold while the EE migration was ongoing. I plan to pick it up again shortly.

Unfortunately, I cannot give a definite timeline as the work that needs to be done mostly revolves around finding a system that most feel comfortable with. It’s not just as simple as adding more sources.

On a personal level, I’ve been playing characters who will be affected by any of these changes (divine classes) to insure that I have first had knowledge of what effect the changes will have on those most impacted. There has been a fairly significant QoL change since the dual aspect even as much to say my H&H + K&I Paladin keeps up piety most of the time without issues (unless raise scroll or god saves get used).

At any rate, I apperate insight, ideas, or just random thoughts. Feel free to share here, PM, or on Discord.
If you click through to that thread you can see some of the suggestions that have already been made.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Bounty Heads don't give a lot of gold, now in comparison to the writ system.

What about if you could sacrifice Bounty Heads directly to altars for piety gain?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Void

Post by Void » Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 pm
Bounty Heads don't give a lot of gold, now in comparison to the writ system.
They actually offer decent payoffs, but for high level monsters.
I think it is possible to get at least 800+ gold per head.
Also, there are no writs after level 20.
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 pm
What about if you could sacrifice Bounty Heads directly to altars for piety gain?
For which god?
"Dear Sune I present you twenty bandit heads to show how how much I appreciate love and passion!"

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Fri May 11, 2018 3:22 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 pm
"Dear Sune I present you twenty bandit heads to show how how much I appreciate love and passion!"

can make this work

"Behold how I have made the world a more BEAUTIFUL place by PASSIONATELY beheading these HIDEOUS FREAKS. The sun shines brighter, the and I see lighter smiles on the faces of the people I pass, because I have strenghtened LOVE and UNDERSTANDING in this world by erasing these shallow-brained criminals" ding +10piety

I'm suddenly exploring the concept of an extremist Sunite that KoSs everyone <10 cha
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Fri May 11, 2018 10:22 pm

If H&H could restore an increased amount of piety based on amount of HP healed it would be nice, similar to how you gain increased piety in Invention depenting on how many crafting points you spent. Right now, casting Heal uses more piety than it gains, which is really annoying.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

The dev's could ask Beamdog to create a script hook for healing kit use.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I can't wait for an update! Grinding piety or afk-praying is only slightly better than component grinding for a mage!
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.