Damage Caps For Magic (Feedback and Discussion)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Damage Caps For Magic (Feedback and Discussion)

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 am

Chucky1234 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:00 am
Maybe have a boost to DPS at level 28 so those pure mages receive the bonus. Owing to most mages taking a dip for discipline this may limit the number of 'power casters' that you'd see - and it would only come into effect level 28 - 30 anyway.

I would have thought that a level 30 mage should have some pretty devastating versions of the basic spells.
Yeah, give me cookies! I love pure casters!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 am

you get 3 more CL ;D
:)

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:32 am

*sigh*

not compared to harper mage which also have discipline. why are u always noob?

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:18 pm

I used to think that wm was overpowered but the more I've played and the changes that have come changed my mind

not being able to do physical damage in time stop was huge

can wm do good damage? Yeah. That's their role. The ac is mediocre, their saves are bad, and their utility is nonexistent.

A cleric can give someone 6-15 ac. Sorc/wiz can keep an entire group perpetually mass hasted. A bard can do bard song/curse song and all the goodies that provides. Healer paths can give everyone in the group 100-150 more health.

I've long said that umd is the great equalizer, but umd doesn't account for the aforementioned buffs. Also? This game isn't balanced around 1v1, or 1vPVM
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 pm

I raised WM merely as a pinnacle of melee based DPS, not as a thread derail. But for all those saying WM ac, saves, etc. are terrible, this is highly debatable. Since most WMs have little incentive to take the class past 7th lvl, you haven't really told me anything until you tell me what classes you are pairing with it. I could easily pair it with paladin, BG, CoT and have a WM that's a save machine.

But back on point to the OP, I do think magic damage potential needs relooked. While I love 28th lvl perks, I would hate to see mages in a spot where most direct action spells are useless until end run. I would like something across the board.

Here's another thought, maybe count some casting feat progression toward countering damage avoidance? IMO, most of the problems with magic damage are that its too low (which we already talked about) and that there are easily available counters to either halve or or completely avoiding the damage (another real problem IMO). Maybe some casting feat progression could affect this, changing it from 50% -> 0% to something more reasonable like 75%->25%?

For example if you take spell penetration line (or whatever) this adjusts the save potential of the victim, even with things like evasion or improved evasion?

More spitballing here.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Please show me a Paladin/WM that gets bonus saves from CHA

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 am

JediMindTrix wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 pm
Please show me a Paladin/WM that gets bonus saves from CHA
Well you can get +9 Charisma from wands alone, so that'd be a net +4 at least...

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 am

10 CON.
:)

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 am

Basically what Cortex said. You'd have 10 CON.

If you want to play a character with virtually nil in the way of hit points, by all means. I don't think it's worth the save boost. But you do you.

Zed

Post by Zed » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:31 pm

A nice thing that could be done is have the feats in magic schools increase potential of spells more than they currently do.

IE evocation focus gives 10% more damage to all evocation schools for focus, 12% for advanced and 15% total for epic.

And then you could have anything 5th level and below increase by caster level of you have those focuses.

Like fireball getting extra damage would be nice

At the same time have any metamagic negate these increases to balance it out, so you dont have a maximized firebrand doing 200 something damage a hit.

Still though, even with no will saves, having 600 plus health can completely negate a wizardatleast until your 2 to 3 hundred damage crit weapons uterlly destory them