Daily quests behind locked doors

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Daily quests behind locked doors

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Sorry, not everyone is a rogue and some of us have RP reasons for going solo.

The Vampire queen task is behind a locked door that cannot be bashed by reasonable means, meaning only a rogued-up (or finger wiggler with a pixie) party can attempt it.

That's a bit of an annoyance since i have to abandon the quest, using up one of my dailies and my extremely limited play time :(

Please unlock (or just make them bashable) the doors -required- to do the dailies.

Gnarh

Re: Daily quests behind locked doors

Post by Gnarh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Why? The writ quests are in game, and if you take one without being able to find a way to complete it, then the solution should be found IG as well.

It's your call to drop the writ-quest. You can also choose to leave it until later so you can hire a lockpick.

I would hate to see a WoW mentality set into Arelith were all quests are streamlined to always be completed. Doors should be randomly locked and there should be a level-appropriate amount of unreliability in the world. That's why it's a persistent world - things are happening why you aren't around.

If doors are locked while you aren't there - NPC's did it. If chests are refilled, an NPC came along and stored something in it. New books on a bookshelf? Your character had a bit more time to search everything on the shelf and found another item of value.

Think of it this way - in Arelith there is a definitive answer to the question "if a leaf drops in arelith forest and there's no one there to see it, does it still happen" - well yes, yes it does.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Sorry, not everyone is a rogue and some of us have RP reasons for going solo.
With all due respect, this is a roleplay server. A server that does and should encourage interactions between characters. Now I grant, it's good that not everything -depends- on multiple people walking around, but nor should everything be possible by one, single character.

You have chosen to make a character who wouldn't bring along others to dungeons. That's fine, I respect that as an rp decision, and an rp handicap. But it is a -chosen- handicap, and thus I do not think it reasonable to ask changes to the server, especialy when they go slightly against the severs ethos, to accomidate for it. It's not as if it prevents you from leveling at all, it just means you cannot do one part of the leveling with the same efficiency as others.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 pm

Alternatively, you could CC like 1 point into open lock and get some open lock gear.

There's options here that don't involve making the entire server easier to solo.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:04 am

well actually independant from the "this is a role play server" posts (because they're completely right) ive always wanted the locks to be removed because that is one of my favorite dungeons and it's a shame i cant visit it as much as id like to
:)

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 am

Yeah, you sold me. It's good the way it is.

It was just frustrating this morning to have used up so much time fruitlessly. First full day off in about 3 weeks. If there's anything i'd change here, it's that one should be able to drop an incomplete quest and pick a different one, but that's really REALLY minor.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Terminal_Templari wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 am

It was just frustrating this morning to have used up so much time fruitlessly. First full day off in about 3 weeks. If there's anything i'd change here, it's that one should be able to drop an incomplete quest and pick a different one, but that's really REALLY minor.
um you can
Yes I can sign

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Thu May 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm
Terminal_Templari wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 am

um you can
Hmm i dont think you can. I think (THINK) that even an abandoned quest counts toward the three per day limit.

However, you should only encounter this once - then have the sense to not accept that contract again. :P

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Thu May 03, 2018 5:06 pm

I think the solution is to probably include some kind of warning that there's locks in a given writ quest. "Kill x, located behind a secure vault door" or "we recommend bringing measures to deal with the high security on this quest" if you want to be more vague. As someone who only gets to play between baby naps, I completely understand the sense of disappointment and frustration that comes with wasting play time, so a small indication of what to expect would be nice.

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Miskol » Sat May 05, 2018 9:04 pm

I think the system is fine as is. Experiencing is learning, and your character will realize not to accept the writ if they are not properly prepared for it. The agent giving details such as locked doors and all that seems like too much information and would effectively baby step players into everything. This would, in turn, deny players the experience to explore and discover the living and breathing world of Arelith and dumb it down to an MMO experience.