Timezones?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Timezones?

Post by CragOrion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Why are we worrying about what timezones players are in? What's the point of this update?

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Void

Re: Timezones?

Post by Void » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Certain things happen at specific IRL time, like player-scheduled lectures.

Those times are specified in multitude of formats and trying to remember how does EST, PDT, CST or whatever else timezone relate to GMT is a major pain.

So, you specify what timezone you're in, and then feed the time specified in another format to the '-time' command, and it tells you when it happens in your timezone.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 pm

In the past we used google for that.
I agree with cragorion I realy dont see the point of this update. For 15 years we did without it.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Don’t use it?

Weird.

For a lot of people this is a problem. Not everyone is the same as you nor does every update need to apply to you.

I am sure the people who this helps are thankful.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm

oh so thats what it does

I was really confused about what it does, but it's a nice thing to have when you can't be assed doing google every other hour.
:)

Void

Post by Void » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:38 am

Cortex wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm
oh so thats what it does

I was really confused about what it does, but it's a nice thing to have when you can't be assed doing google every other hour.
It is convenient, and less distracting than having to pull out a phone or alt+enter and then alt+tab into a browser.

While it isn't a very big deal the server is volunteer based, and I can see why somebody could want something like that.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 am

I was kinda bothered at first actually, but someone enlightened me to the fact that a lot of the present issues are directly tied to NWNX, which is something the devs have to wait on Beamdog for. They're just doing what they can.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm
Certain things happen at specific IRL time, like player-scheduled lectures.

Those times are specified in multitude of formats and trying to remember how does EST, PDT, CST or whatever else timezone relate to GMT is a major pain.

So, you specify what timezone you're in, and then feed the time specified in another format to the '-time' command, and it tells you when it happens in your timezone.
Oh wow, that's pretty cool, thanks for the answer

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire