Isle of Sencliff

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Baseili

Isle of Sencliff

Post by Baseili » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm

After spending a decent amount of time on the new and improved Sencliff I've noticed a few things that struck me as odd, or are outright missing.

Purchasable ships - While the rentable ships are good its hard to form crews around them, a few ships would be a welcome addition (one per dock pier maybe?) with a suitable rank requirement.

Secure Pirate Areas - For a pirate island its unnervingly open to everyone, there are no secure areas to talk away from any visitors that wander through and nothing to prevent any ship from docking. Making the docks and feasthall only accessable to those with the tattoo would be ideal, though it would require locating of all the shops, smuggler, tattoo-giver outside and any visiting skiffs to the beach.

Increased Security - The isle feels a bit too lightly guarded for what it is, as the number of pirates increase so to do the chances of the islanding being raided by lawfuls. Anyone doing so now will land smack bang in the middle of an unguarded dock with nothing to stop them.

White_935

Re: Isle of Sencliff

Post by White_935 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:34 pm

I agree with all of your previous statements, i would suggest having quite a few rentable ship thou due to population, Since ships are in itself a pretty copy and paste, (they can in principle look exactly the same). I would recommend there being more of a Dock-master or a Shipmaster where you can but your own ship, once you earn enough, and we all use the same "skiff" to access your personal boat, the early one being a small dingy (for 1-3 players) to the larger ships as your rank and coin allows it.

The bigger the boat, the more cost.. but since we don't actually need the space beyond the zone for the actual ship i imagine they don't have to be as limited as houses currently allowing those who want as ship to have one.

I would also recommend fixing the housing on Sencliff, it's already all taken, and houses should be only available for purchasing if you have a pirate with the correct rank, similar to boats. The inn rooms should be rentable by anyone.

For the boat system, if you can somehow remember fixture positions and such, you could even re-use the maps for different peoples ship.. and just make a excuse if "all" boat maps are currently in use.. ..that way saving the need for the server having individual maps for everyone's individual boat/ship etc.

Baseili

Re: Isle of Sencliff

Post by Baseili » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:34 am

Its an interesting idea though doing something like it could trivialise actual ownership and creation of crews. Ideally we need to find a happy medium where ship owners are encourage to build up a crew whilst individual pirates also have the option for shorter voyages on rented ships. The downside is that people tend to sit on properity, especially ships.

In an effort to solve several issues in one solution, what would people think about having ships linked to their own separate purchasable dock/warehouse? Somewhere with a shared storage, individual vaults, bunks and a sitting area in which to meet (tagged as a bar to prevent food/water drain). It would give crews a sense of community, free up housing on the isle and allow crews to meet away from wandering visitors.