Scouring the Seas

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
Ridiculously Circuitous Plans

Scouring the Seas

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:41 pm

While out on a ship Scouring the Seas, I've noticed an incredibly high instance of running into player ships. When there are a lot of ships about, I can see how that might be fun, but today it has seemingly just been myself in the Warship and someone in the Penny Rose sailing about.

I did about 10 locations before the server reset and found... a cove, an islet, an atoll, an ice flow... and the Penny Rose like 6 times. All within a fairly short period of time. I imagine that this was probably a bit frustrating for both of us. Would it be possible to tone this down a bit? Or perhaps have a toggleable mode to attempt to avoid other ships, which would lower the instance?

Cortex

Re: Scouring the Seas

Post by Cortex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm

It's a bug. If you run into a player ship, opt to head out to sea and await further orders, then scour the sea again.
:)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Its nog a bug, this is old behaviour and since we cranked up how ticks/updates are handled on ships it seems likely this happens frequently. Player ships are included in the Scouring the Seas; we could possibly add a option to avoid player ships though.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Its really annoying now, took us 4 tries to get to Skal. The first three times all ended with getting boarded by another players ship. I like a chance, but seems way too common now.

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Part of the problem seems that the meetings between two ships can result from either side getting it as a result of their scouring attempt. Several of the times I've had a player ship show up, it was just as I was being boarded by NPC enemies, which I assume was the result of the other ship finding me rather than the other way around.

Doing pirate quests can seem impossible when you already have to find one location among dozens, and constantly find player ships instead. It also does make it extremely difficult to actually travel anywhere via ship, since every time it happens, it seems to reset the trip time to the original destination when it is re-selected.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm

What Cortex said. I'm pretty sure you can just choose the option not to approach, and you carry on getting other encounters.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 am

Doesn't stop as in my case of three voyages in a row getting boarded. Just seems the odds have been greatly increased.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 am

The rate at which you encounter other PC ships is rather obnoxious. Although an option to just turn it off would be unfair for people actually hunting your ship down (especially for us privateers that may be lookin' to hunt ya!) but there should be something where you can not encounter a ship for a while after encountering it once.

This one time I was scouring the seas with some of the crew and we kept bumping into the Warship. Like we'd meet it, then I'd order the Timberfleet navigator to move on, and then the next thing we find is the Warship again. And we found it several times until eventually I decided to board it only to find there were no PCs aboard.

So it should be toned down at least.

Oh the year was 1778...

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 am

I think the Boatswain and the Navigator both says something along the lines of "We are alongside the Penny Rose" for instance and you can just skip it that way by putting out at sea again.

I guess what I am saying is that we can allow Ships to opt out for Searching of Player ships in Scouring the Seas but that is only for your ship; other ships cna still find yours.

I like Rockstar1984's idea of having a safe time after being boarded once; I think that is the most valid solution, like protected for 30-40 mins or so. Or at least make it more difficult to be boarded once it happened.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 am

Seems like cities need to start cleaning up piracy on their shores.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 pm

I would hate to see a ship be made totally immune from being boarded. But maybe any ship searching the open sea is fair game, while ones going to specific destinations the chance is reduced (logic being on well traveled sea lane so less chance of pirate attack). Something like that. Maybe an option to resist the grapple? But after three times in a row of you're being boarded, the increased chance does sort of sap the fun of sailing to places.

When searching you always have the option to ignore what you found. But when you're the one being boarded, well nothing you can do.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 pm
I would hate to see a ship be made totally immune from being boarded. But maybe any ship searching the open sea is fair game, while ones going to specific destinations the chance is reduced (logic being on well traveled sea lane so less chance of pirate attack). Something like that. Maybe an option to resist the grapple? But after three times in a row of you're being boarded, the increased chance does sort of sap the fun of sailing to places.

When searching you always have the option to ignore what you found. But when you're the one being boarded, well nothing you can do.
Yep, this is also good. I'll try and make something out of these suggestions.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's what I propose:

When two ships encounter each other at sea those two ships cannot encounter each other for 3 ig hours or possibly more but IMO 3 is enough time to discover a couple other things. That sounds simple enough to me. Having a chance to resist being boarded or to avoid ships entirely for a whole half hour sounds to me like it'll just hurt those of us doing pirate/privateer/naval rp and then open up a completely different thread of complaints.

Oh the year was 1778...

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am

Maybe this is just some intensely bad luck on my part, but I've been encountering another issue recently. After each reset, it seems that I only am able to hit 1 'landing spot' per area. I've been seeking islets for a quest, and the first time we went out, we landed on the northwest islet every time we hit that map. Now, on a second excursion tonight, I hit the islet map about 6 times, but each time it landed me on the southwest island.

I've noticed the same pattern with the abandoned ships, the ice flows, and the coves as well. Pretty much any map with multiple landing sights. Is this just me hitting terrible RNG luck? Or has anyone else experienced this?

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am

As I reported here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17981 I think there is also an BUG.

When the navigator on your ship tells you that there is an other (player) ship detected you can decide to 1) try to catch it or 2) better leave it and search for something else.

If you choose 2) you can set an other destination and the ship will "move". But the navigators dialog gets STUCK and everytime you will talk to the navigator he will ask you the same question over and over 1) or 2)? - Even if you found an other island or ship. You will only find out that you found something else if you talk to the NPC at the skiff.

It seems like you cant get away from the (player) ship you once found.

So: The ship actualy moves and find other places but the menue stucks.

This might open the possibility to raid an payership over and over again. (But I didn't test what happens after you have choosen option 1))

In addition to that the chance to find an other playership might be too high. Don't know.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:01 pm

nobs3 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am
As I reported here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17981 I think there is also an BUG.

When the navigator on your ship tells you that there is an other (player) ship detected you can decide to 1) try to catch it or 2) better leave it and search for something else.

If you choose 2) you can set an other destination and the ship will "move". But the navigators dialog gets STUCK and everytime you will talk to the navigator he will ask you the same question over and over 1) or 2)? - Even if you found an other island or ship. You will only find out that you found something else if you talk to the NPC at the skiff.

It seems like you cant get away from the (player) ship you once found.

So: The ship actualy moves and find other places but the menue stucks.

This might open the possibility to raid an payership over and over again. (But I didn't test what happens after you have choosen option 1))

In addition to that the chance to find an other playership might be too high. Don't know.

I already made a fix for this with the other bug fixes; get back to me if the problem persists.