Starting in Sencliff

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tourmaline

Starting in Sencliff

Post by Tourmaline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm having some trouble with a new character in Sencliff, which is a place I'd never explored on any of my others. Is it really meant for low level characters, is it possible to actually level up there, or are you expected to go elsewhere immediately (with a pirate tattoo at level 3 which I am not sure is a good idea?) Is this a place only for people who know what they're doing, or is it at all welcoming to someone experienced with Arelith but never the pirate thing?

Without any spoilers, I am just wondering what the general vibe is, as I've spent over an hour now running around big empty areas with no other PCs in sight or clear path as to where to go to get started.

(I don't want to sound negative BTW, I do like the area and possibilities, but maybe a push in a direction would be helpful)

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Starting in Sencliff

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Sencliff start is pretty much the hardest place you could possibly choose to start a character.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:29 pm

If you speak with the main NPC in the Feasthall he gives you tips.

Sencliff pirates gain immediate travel to and from Cordor, and I believe one of the 'starter' NPCs in Sencliff advises you to make use of the registry agent in the Nomad.

While Sencliff has limited starter dungeon content, it really serves as underworld start location for much of the module. Just be certain to read all dialog pertaining to that start.

I think it will liven up in terms of player numbers before long.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm

I guess that is one question I was not clear on, if you could return once you'd left for the Crow's Nest or Cordor.

Thanks, that clears it up pretty well.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Doesn't the smuggler from Sencliff drop you off on Laurick's dock? Maybe he should be changed to drop you off in front of the smuggler who takes you back TO Sencliff, so that it's a bit more obvious how to return.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:36 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 pm
Doesn't the smuggler from Sencliff drop you off on Laurick's dock? Maybe he should be changed to drop you off in front of the smuggler who takes you back TO Sencliff, so that it's a bit more obvious how to return.
You get taken to Laurick, if I remember right, and there is no option to return in his dialog. I thought the character would have to find a portal since I did stumble across the destination. (Keep in mind I mostly play underdarkers and the occasional earthkin so I don't know all the Wharfton/Cordor stuff even though I have a good bit of Arelith experience)

The smuggler who sends you there could be a little more clear on how to get back, maybe?

I know it's a work in progress, but it does seem like you need an experienced guide there. Not a terrible thing and I'll probably keep at it but I had envisioned something like Skal with low level sailor or pirate oriented quests when I started, not a way to become a pirate who goes back to level in Cordor.

(And to be fair to the devs I haven't spent more than 2 hours there yet, but I did try to hit every NPC and landmark.)