Increase rewards on aligment related choices in dialugues

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

flower

Increase rewards on aligment related choices in dialugues

Post by flower » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Okay so. I play good aligned monster in UD. I spent normal hit to be allowed to play it.

It regularly joins evil guys with full knowledge of me as player it would lead to clash within party....

...until you figure out, no matter he dungeon, place. No matter what race has an NPC prisoner. Those supposed evil guys rush to them to save them asking no award, no blackmailing no hurting prisoners.

It never matters who is in party. Outcast, duergar, orog, half orcs, drow...everyone just dashs ahead to save poor prisoner from suffering.

Either every is CN and good aligned or my drow has some aura of goodness forcing others to act like HER aligment.

Same thing happens when you cross some unknown dead denizen of UD many race who would save poor chap lol ( but towards PCs I would understand it).

How about to multiple xp award if evil aligned character hurts prisoner? And when good one saves it. It is irritating when everyone around acts like charity and you had to spent normal roll to be allowed actually play that...

Cortex

Re: Increase rewards on aligment related choices in dialugues

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Not every evil character would hurt a prisoner because "im evil lmao", especially when they're out somewhere adventuring, why even the sadists would stop to do that? Even banites would avoid killing them because it empowers Cyric, the god of murder.

Options are nice, but not limiting them.
:)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm

How about simply offering the same xp award if the character kills the prisoner? So that it's just a steady 'reward'?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm
Not every evil character would hurt a prisoner because "im evil lmao", especially when they're out somewhere adventuring, why even the sadists would stop to do that? Even banites would avoid killing them because it empowers Cyric, the god of murder.

Ironically, (something thats kinda funny knowing current UD things) Bhaal is the god of murder. Cyric is only a god of strive and trickery, mainly, with a little murder sprinkled on top.

But back to topic, evil does not equal evil. People only free the prisoners because it gives xp. And even then it's only 25xp, so most people don't even make a big deal out of it. Giving exp for the "You die now" option would be fun though.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Cortex I did not write take away choices.

I wrote increase award if people act according to aligment.

Why would chaotic evil character even stop to bother with saving someone especially in company of others who are slavers murderers and killers and would not quirk a brow if he just sliced the throath of prisoner?

Why would such person run to a prisoner (even a lowly goblin or human) and tell them no worries I am here run way is safe save yourself lol. It is so ridiculous that even 25 XPS make players act against their own characters.

That's why I say there should be positive motivations like if you are evil and select evil option you get multiple bonus to base award.

It is simplified , all evil aligments would act n different manner but least this, let people pick their answer they want and if it gets along with aligment award them. Not choosing to be saving suffering people just because they get 25 xps over none in evil choice.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Nor did I imply that.

I'm saying choices should not be limited to alignment, or more/less rewarding.
:)

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Letting a weak and hungry prisoner loose inside a dungeon in the Underdark to fend for themselves can be seen as a sadistic and evil act too, hehe.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 pm

As absurdum:
I spent normal award to get monster PC helping to others. But any other monstrum PC joining my party acts like lg helper. I feel cheated lol.

Now jokes aside. It is insignificant thing with little to no impact but it is immersion breaking.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 pm

There's plenty of reasons for evil characters of both the lawful and chaotic alignments might want to free prisoners or slaves for. They might simply be opposed to slavery, maybe they think letting those slaves loose in the harsh underdark is a far more cruel and entertaining fate than slaying them on the spot, perhaps they're looking for easy converts to their dark god/cult and so on. No character is an open book committed to an alignment, rather their alignment is a result of their actions. Evil people do good stuff and good people do evil stuff, they just tend to usually do way more of one than the other.

If people were rewarded for killing slaves as an evil alignment, it'd just shift to every evil guy doing that. All options having the same reward seems the best because then everyone has the same options.
Xanos950 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 pm
Ironically, (something thats kinda funny knowing current UD things) Bhaal is the god of murder. Cyric is only a god of strive and trickery, mainly, with a little murder sprinkled on top.
On the time of Arelith, Bhaal is supposed to be a dead deity, and Cyric holding the murder portfolio squarely in his hands. Some of the novels of the era even reveal that the remaining Bhaal cults are actually feeding cyrics divinity as he's absorbed the dead gods domains in their entirety, and being the god of lies, is perfectly fine with masquerading as a dead god.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:16 am

There are plenty of reasons even the most evil of characters would free a prisoner, if you use your imagination and roleplay. Don't assume other people are 'doing it wrong', because you can't read their mind and you don't know the depth of their character.

Arguably a chaotic person of any alignment has even more reason to do so.

System is fine as it is.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 am

Yeah plenty of reasons, like the 25 exp helps him kill different people in different places.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 am

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 am
Yeah plenty of reasons, like the 25 exp helps him kill different people in different places.
Lol.

I am really curious how many evil doers would bother with prisoners if they weren't 25xps per release. 4 of them give 100... it imho this is all just an excuse why you reap these benefits nothing more. But this is my opinion and if you think it's okay I won't certainly force you.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Why not ask in character why they freed the slave? Just asking IC could give a whole bunch of RP on its own, and help prevent the immersion from breaking because now you know /why/ they did it, even if you may not agree with the reasoning.

That said, the options should all have the same xp so that the choice is between "what would my character do?" and not "what would my character do, and can I get xp doing it?".
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Xanos950 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 pm
Cortex wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Cortex is correct; Cyric is the new Lord of Murder. Bhaal is canonically dead and his divine essence scattered, dissolved, and absorbed by other entities. Prayers to Bhaal end up empowering Cyric, who is happy to masquerade as other gods, doling out divine rewards and accepting worship in return.

All the Bhaal-worshipers IG, who have him selected in the deity book? Actually worshiping Cyric.