New player perspective on Writs.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

SlugHole

New player perspective on Writs.

Post by SlugHole » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:48 pm

Hey guys, first time playing Neverwinter EE or Neverwinter to begin with. Played alot of icewindale, baldurs gate, and even newer games of this genre. I'd like to start by saying this server is amazing and has taken over as my main game to play. The constant roleplay and exploration keeps me occupied. Yet I have one critique of the writ system. This is my perspective from playing in Skal, not sure how mainland is yet keep this in mind.

When you spawn in you get 5 writs to choose from. The kill quests are always down near town so your only choice is to complete the goblins or the xvart mine. And even then those spawns are down. I think spawn timers for mobs in the first writs should be increased, and the ones in town almost instant when people leave. Multiple times I've found groups of people in town then went to complete a writ and ran into the people who finished in telling me its down. Which then takes 10-20 minutes (maybe?) for them to come back, which ruins the group and usually ends up in the group breaking up.

Also I don't think 3 writs is enough, I play alot of time and like to level up and explore but when I finish the 3 quests I have nothing really to do other than farm kill mobs for xp or passive roleplay in town (only so much fun for me imo i enjoy roleplaying and exploration moreso). Maybe allowing all quests from the mayor to be completed daily would stop people mob farming zones that people have quests in and instead joining groups or doing different dungeons rather than running the zones close to town over and over. If that would lead to too much xp or gold gain then just reduce the amount of each quest reward.

Just a few cents, thanks for reading.

Tourmaline

Re: New player perspective on Writs.

Post by Tourmaline » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 am

Just FYI, the writs increase in time required fairly quickly once you get more levels-- harder to do, more distance from the registry. In the teens it can take an hour or two just to do one quest some times unless you know the server well enough to maximize travel. Also, they'll be more difficult to do alone, depending on your class or build (and again, knowledge of the server.)

Making it so you can have more jobs at lowest levels may not be a bad idea though. Of course there is also nothing stopping you from hanging around and assisting others even if you aren't getting rewarded, the XP and gold is still pretty good (we didn't even have writs until last fall or so, after all, and people still managed to level at a good pace.)

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: New player perspective on Writs.

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 am

WinkinBlinkin wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:49 pm
I know that the suggestion topic is locked, but I feel the respawn timer really isn't working that well in low level areas with the volume of people we have starting characters at the moment. Unless my concept of how the mechanics works is completely wrong, it seems some areas just aren't staying empty long enough to allow respawn to happen over a reasonable time frame. I don't know if this could be changed for low level areas only, possibly temporarily, to ensure that people don't end up wandering round empty quest sites over and over hunting for things to kill. I imagine this could well be quite frustrating, and not at all representative of playing the game at higher levels, outside of one or two well visited areas that get overcrowded at peak times.
Dunshine wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am
We're going to improve this system a bit. Currently it's a serverwide setting. We're going to both lower that setting and make it area specific, so we have more control.

And we'll add some randomness.
Irongron wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm
To be clear the 'randomness' means the following:

The time it is going to take for an area to respawn will ALWAYS be lower than it is now, sometimes just a little, sometimes quite a lot.