Resting Cancelation Gone?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Resting Cancelation Gone?

Post by Twily » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Recently, the ability to cancel resting was removed.

There's a lot of odd behavior surrounding mage's spells and transferring servers, and this results in having to rest, sometimes frequently.

From what I've seen, the server remembers what spells were cast before the character left the server, and after transferring areas upon returning it, it re-casts every spell.
Additionally, If you cast spells right after entering the server before transferring maps at all, it double casts all of the spells you cast upon entering.

Resting before leaving a server (every single time), as well as not casting upon entering a server until transferring maps at least once seems to be the only way around the spell slots getting wasted issue is the only solution that I've found.

Deaths raising rest to 25%, while also requiring the mage rests on respawn/raise to regain spells(seeing as every single buff just got removed) is equally a pain for them

To get to the point, behavior such as what's mentioned above can leave mages needing to rest rather often, or being unable to cast spells without losing two slots per cast.

Keeping the rest low enough to be able to adjust to the above issues, while keeping it high enough to not get rest debuffs every tick, is very difficult to do.
Being able to interrupt resting was a means of doing this without having to carry around ten pounds of alcohol and chugging it down frequently, something that is already almost forced upon many mages, especially so in lower levels.

The way it is now, even my epic level mage at times struggles with keeping their rest low enough to be able to rest at all, even when I do carry around alcohol.

A few ideas I've thought of that could solve this issue:
-Raising the rest outside tavern cap (My personal favorite, even 60% as the cap instead of 50 would make a notable difference)
-Making spell slots and server transfers function properly
-Making all spell slots not restore until fully rested, which should (as far as I know) remove the need for partial rests to be blocked

vaclavc

Re: Resting Cancelation Gone?

Post by vaclavc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 am

Removal of rest cancellation is rather annoying, but perhaps it is just a bug.
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 am

I agree with OP!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 am

Rest cancellation being removed is definitely annoying. Beamdog also made it so you can no longer cancel your uncontrollable actions after being feared/confused/charmed I noticed, which is good I guess lol.

Remember you can rest in fugue to reset your spell book before you respawn or get raised. 👌

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:30 am

Agreed. I used to take little 'naps' to keep the rest meter at an acceptable level, instead of getting the full 20% of sleep.
Seems I'll have to become a chronic drunk again.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pm

(coffe)

Rags

Post by Rags » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 am

It's a side-effect change as a result of Beamdog fixing an exploit that existed in the previous game versions.

Agreed that managing rest on a caster can be quite annoying. I manage to do it fine, but I imagine it's a large pain the rear for the majority of caster characters. Coffee and alcohol do make it a lot easier to manage, though.