New Game! Looks meh. Just me?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Drake Strongfist

New Game! Looks meh. Just me?

Post by Drake Strongfist » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:07 am

So purchased and downloaded the new enhanced edition. Got me keys copied over, got logged in and.....

Underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong. The textures look good, the interiors definitely look more immersive with the "warm" candle light. However....

Is it just me or does it look blurry to you guys? Have I missed a setting?

cptcuddlepants

Re: New Game! Looks meh. Just me?

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:08 am

Try turning off Depth of Field. That makes things very blurry.

It's under Options, Video Options, Advanced Frame-Buffer Effects
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:19 am

Thanks! That's a huge help!

Don't get me wrong. Its still a little blurry but now I can look at it without wanting to stab my own eyes out and I don't feel like I've wasted money. I feel like the blur is unavoidable. The detail is much more crisp overall its just the edges that blur for me.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 am

Try turning off Ambiet Occlusion and Anti-Aliasing, see if that helps.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 am

Try changing your resolution.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:19 am

Try understand that Enhanced Edition doesn't just mean visual improvements :P

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 am

Try using Symphony's shader from here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17414&p=146403&hilit=gamma#p145943

The default high contrast shader looks atrocious and the default DoF shader looks pretty meh. Symphony has significant improved the high contrast shader so it actually looks really pretty now.

Here's a shot I just took comparing the same scene between 1.69 and 1.74 (with Symphony's high contrast shader, plus AO and vibrance from the base game, no DoF). 1.74 looks significantly better IMO. It's especially great in forest/snow scenes or when casting magic because the colours really pop out in a great way.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm

I was wondering why things looked so blurry.

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Orian_666 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:19 am
Try posting something of substance? Or maybe something useful? Maybe even offer your own opinion on how EE is visually speaking, since that would at least be on topic?

Everyone else, thank you! I had considered the shader before I'll definately give it a shot. I'll also try tweaking with the other settings too when I have time. As it is I'm a bit busy today what with it being praise a zombie day and all.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Drake Strongfist wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm
Orian_666 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:19 am
Try posting something of substance? Or maybe something useful? Maybe even offer your own opinion on how EE is visually speaking, since that would at least be on topic?

Everyone else, thank you! I had considered the shader before I'll definately give it a shot. I'll also try tweaking with the other settings too when I have time. As it is I'm a bit busy today what with it being praise a zombie day and all.
Relax dude, it was only a joke, no need to get so uppity over it... :|

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:55 pm

I disable everything for best results, there were some NWShader tweaks if you want to root them out - but I don't think anyone's really playing for the AAA-Graphics and ultimately you can only go so far with old textures and models.

Ambient Occlusion is really buggy on tilesets or objects that have a lot of edges (Beholder caves, for example, lots of ikky dots splurging around).

High contrast is too high.

Vibrance is too bright and headache inducing.

DoF makes everything blurry.

It is a very lackluster, rushed release, especially with all the crashes. But, it at least took away a significant amount of exploits.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 am

Felt the release was a bit rushed as well but I guess they didn't get the player numbers (And testing) they wanted with Head Start, just see all the bug reports that has poured in now lol they are gonna be plenty busy now.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:13 am

Yeah, a lot of the starting settings...

like why is the blur and field of vision a thing? It's specifically inconvenient.

But still, we can appreciate EE for the fact that all the things that are still broken will get actively released once the game is stable

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Still trying to figure out how to make it so when I move my mouse I don't feel like I'm about to have a seizure. It's like there is a delay with everything and then it happens at once. Really messes with your eyes.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 pm

If they removed the weapon switch exploit, can we remove that obnoxious weapon switch script now?

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Still trying to figure out how to make it so when I move my mouse I don't feel like I'm about to have a seizure. It's like there is a delay with everything and then it happens at once. Really messes with your eyes.
You can try and enable VSync in video options -> advanced video options and see if it helps. If it's off there can be visible tearing as the camera moves about, which can cause a bit of strain over time.

If you mean something goes wrong when moving the mouse but without the character/camera moving, I'm not sure whats happening on your screen.

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Update!

Still haven't messed with the shader. Still intend to eventually. Field of vision and contrast thingy were they two big issues. Everything else is alright (so-so), with the exception of.........!

For some reason I have to enable high resolution font ever. single. damn. time. The setting turns itself off everytime I exit the game. I've tried enabling it both in the main menu and while IG (but only online, now that I think about it.)