NWN: EE

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

PenguinNinja

NWN: EE

Post by PenguinNinja » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:33 am

Okay so... It takes me 20-30 minutes to to finnick out actually being able to make a char, and then when I finally do, I crash on the first area going into the world. I kinda want my money back, not really sure why we had to go to the "Enhanced" edition

EDIT: Managed to get in, after crashing twice. Now my issue is any time I move the entire screen freezes for 10-15 seconds. This is really trashy, the graphics updates are barely noticeable and it's wrecking my system

Baron Saturday

Re: NWN: EE

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:49 am

Have you updated your GPU drivers? You may also consider turning off some/all of the graphical updates, as they're nothing special.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 am

Not really the point honestly, these people "enhanced" a game that didn't really need it, resold it to make a profit, and it was so poorly done that minor graphical "updates" are causing me to crash and freeze repeatedly on a system that handles far better graphics regularly

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 am

PenguinNinja wrote:Not really the point honestly, these people "enhanced" a game that didn't really need it, resold it to make a profit, and it was so poorly done that minor graphical "updates" are causing me to crash and freeze repeatedly on a system that handles far better graphics regularly
According to the devs during their launch stream, the majority of the "enhancement" was done on the back end to allow for easier modding. They will also be releasing additional graphics updates as they're developed.

I haven't played it too much yet, but I haven't noticed any issues at all. What graphics card are you using?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 am

The pros (and cons) of switching to EE have already been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on the forums, but PinataPlethora nicely sums it up. I'm sorry that you're having technical issues, but the fact that others have been running EE without problem suggest that the trouble may be client-side.

Regardless, the transition to EE is a done deal.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm

It's worth it if it gets rid of that annoying NWN stopped responding bug.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:52 pm

A few people have mentioned they've had some crashing issues - others, like myself, have logged 6+ hrs in NWN:EE without a single crash or issue but can't play NWN 1.69 without it crashing every 10-30 minutes. I have to wonder if there's some common thread between the two issues: do all the people having issues with NWN:EE have a similar graphics card or something?

A Streetcar Named Desire

Post by A Streetcar Named Desire » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm

I have to agree with everyone else.

I actually enjoy the graphic touches, bar depth of field, and the only issue I've had is lag increasing during falling particles (Snow). My game has been 100% stable with 0 crashes ever since I started trying EE out, so for me personally, it's a very smooth experience, while I will crash at least a couple of times a day on 1.69. My graphics card is very new though!

I do hope they add more content to EE as time goes on.
"Every performance is like a ghost -- it's there and then it's gone."

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:59 pm

the whole point for EE was to make it so modern machines didnt need 10 million work arounds to run the game, so it did need to be enhanced. I dont see many if any that are using a rig more than a few years old running win7 at worst.

What Beamdog has done is make it cleaner to run, more mod tools, and fixed alot of under the hood issues.
Yes I can sign

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:04 pm

I've tried over the last few days to log in here and other servers, I can get into small areas like the starting area, but as soon as I try to go IG every time I crash, no matter what my graphics are at, while my system handles giant areas with maxed graphics and 30+ people in them while dual or triple boxing on other servers just fine, on the non EE version.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:16 pm

PenguinNinja wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:04 pm
I've tried over the last few days to log in here and other servers, I can get into small areas like the starting area, but as soon as I try to go IG every time I crash, no matter what my graphics are at, while my system handles giant areas with maxed graphics and 30+ people in them while dual or triple boxing on other servers just fine, on the non EE version.
did you update all your drivers?

make sure you dont have EE blocked on your windows firewall
Yes I can sign

Taoen7

Post by Taoen7 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:30 pm

I had some wonky issues as well before the transfer. I am thinking they must have had a less powerful server before they transferred all the other stuff and made it live. Things seem to work fine now. I was even able to retrieve a toon that was trapped between worlds for the last 5 years.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm

PenguinNinja wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:04 pm
What have you done so far to troubleshoot? I would suggest dialing down all your video settings in the game and see how that affects it. If it runs smoothly on low settings, slowly bump up the settings until you find what is causing the performance issue.

Just from my own experience, I can tell you some of the major things that affect performance is the ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, advanced shading, and shiny water (though I've had 0 probems with shiny water on EE). On slower systems, skyboxes can cause major slowdown too. And even on decent systems, if you're using HD skyboxes like the ones available on steam, that can cause crashes and performance loss when entering external areas.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

JediZero

Post by JediZero » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm

So far what I'm thinking is that Arelith probably should not have aimed for a day one swap. As it is we're getting every teething problem that wasn't taken care of with the swap.

Ultimately I believe EE will be a good thing for Arelith. But not yet.

Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20, so we're kinda stuck here for now.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 pm

You'd have to troubleshoot the details anyway. Doesn't matter if we pull through it now, or in 5 months.

With The Sky Below My Feet

Post by With The Sky Below My Feet » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:43 am

Why post a complaint thread about NWN:EE on an Arelith forum.

Like Arelith staff can actually do something about the problems you're having with EE now.

If anything, Beamdog forums would have been the place for this.

If you're asking reasons for the switch to NWN:EE, that's been discussed excessively.

Here's your summary:

-Continued support, continued compatibility (even if you don't see it / don't want to see it, NWN1 was dying. Once you got your afaik isolated issues sorted out, you'll love the fact that everything simply -works-)
-Backend improvements
-Easier access to community content of any sort
-Easer access and more attention to the game and server, bringing new players to Arelith.

A better form than this thread would have been a post in the Q&A section, to solve your individual tech problems.
Suddenly everyone's smiling.

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 am

1. I've already tried this by turning everything all the way down/off, still crashed
2. I'm not complaining about NWN: EE beyond the obvious scummy Beamdog stuff, I'm just asking for (polite) advice on how to get this junk working

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 am

JediZero wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm
So far what I'm thinking is that Arelith probably should not have aimed for a day one swap. As it is we're getting every teething problem that wasn't taken care of with the swap.

Ultimately I believe EE will be a good thing for Arelith. But not yet.

Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20, so we're kinda stuck here for now.
Xanos950 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 pm
You'd have to troubleshoot the details anyway. Doesn't matter if we pull through it now, or in 5 months.
Exactly. (Though for the record, this was a Day 2 Swap).

Since the game is being actively supported, we're able to give all of the feedback that is out of our hands directly to Beamdog to handle, and right away which is a precious time table. Support is most active right after release as well.

A lot of the bugs would have happened regardless how long we waited since the big part of the merge was the move of the database, and reconfiguring that. The first few days will have their issues, but once they are over, they are over.
PenguinNinja wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 am
1. I've already tried this by turning everything all the way down/off, still crashed
1: Is this the same sort of results for all non-Arelith servers?
If not, which of the three servers have you tired logging into? The more information we have, the easier it is to assist.
Please don't feed my sister.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:16 am

Just recently got a new computer running Windows 10 and the original game runs more smoothly than it did on my much older Windows 7 machine.

I'm dubious about the claim that the advent of EE was necessary due to compatibility issues.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:23 pm

For original game I had to disable update on Nvidia drivers for like a year already.

Time to update them:)

So shining water does not cause crash's anymore? There are two areas it kept crashing. Bramble woods and near portal on vendor Dale road adjancented to the tower

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 pm

I see Beamdog decided to get rid of the gamma fader. Enhanced... Very enhanced. Being able to see the things on my screen is so primitive.

I'm also super into having to go in and edit nwnplayer.ini every time I want to switch from one login to the other. The old way of having the game prompt you for your login information like every other video-game and website in the known universe is soooo tacky and old-school.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:11 pm

You could use a different tone and ask for help rather than that.

There are solutions to both of those things.

An override shader:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... fblvls.shd

And leave the name blank in the ini file.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Invader_Nym wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 pm
I see Beamdog decided to get rid of the gamma fader. Enhanced... Very enhanced. Being able to see the things on my screen is so primitive.

I'm also super into having to go in and edit nwnplayer.ini every time I want to switch from one login to the other. The old way of having the game prompt you for your login information like every other video-game and website in the known universe is soooo tacky and old-school.
salty. if you leave it blank you do not have to type in any login once you populate your vault all will be there
Yes I can sign

Anthony_1486

Post by Anthony_1486 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 am

I'm only having problems on Arelith, and even at that it's only in certain areas like Cordor. My two main characters just happen to be there so playing them is not possible unless Beamdog or Arelith fix whatever is causing it.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 am

I crashed on a transition into Bendir Dale and now every time I attempt to enter the game I crash out. :O