Open Lock

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Open Lock

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Sab1 wrote:This to me always seemed like trying to find a problem where there isn't much of a problem. If someone can't break into a house is that really devastating to rp?

Lockpickers who can get dungeon chests already have a nice advantage from either just sneaking by everything to get a chest or being the one in the group to open chests thus able to quickly grab nice items out first.
"I can pick into the doors at the depths of hell, but for some reason this farmers lock still can't be opened!"

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Sab1 wrote:This to me always seemed like trying to find a problem where there isn't much of a problem. If someone can't break into a house is that really devastating to rp?

Lockpickers who can get dungeon chests already have a nice advantage from either just sneaking by everything to get a chest or being the one in the group to open chests thus able to quickly grab nice items out first.
"I can pick into the doors at the depths of hell, but for some reason this farmers lock still can't be opened!"
Yeah... in multiplayer games it's like that, unless someone is fighting for the rights of the NPC. lol

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:45 pm

I think there could be ways to allow lockpicking player houses, you just need to get past the NWN problem of "if you can do it once, you can do it a million times."

Like if the rogue "studies" a single lock they slowly get plusses towards opening it. Investing enough RL time in front of the lock itself would allow you to finally beat the DC on that particular lock. If the owner changes the lock you have to start over.

I think there's a lot that could be done to make traps more fun too. More variety of and more effective disabling traps would be great, especially since damage traps don't give XP. I don't know if it's possible but traps that could trigger a magical effect from a placed scroll when crossed would be fun (e.g. enemy crosses, darkness triggers.)

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 pm

That trap notion sounds awesome! Though I've no idea if it's even possible. Might be cool to see it ascribed some UMD check, to pull it off, and rogues of higher level, given innate bonuses to their UMD.

Maybe some daily uses of Rogue's Cunning, from the radial menu, too. X Uses / Per Day, at key levels.