a strong gust of wind

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

susitsu

a strong gust of wind

Post by susitsu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 am

Mighty man wanders the desert.

Somehow, every single path he takes delivers him to the same transition.

This transition is blocked by gust of wind.

Cease playing game for six minutes, make this post in the meantime.

Do not like gust of wind blocks your path mechanic. Lost Desert is unpleasant simply due to this. Otherwise love the area, doesn't get enough use because of this mechanic imo.

susitsu

Re: a strong gust of wind

Post by susitsu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 am

It happened again, I'm gonna scream

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 am

Should be in IC stories imo.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 am

You rp over mechanics that are fun.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 am

I've had a lot of fun with, in the right company .. but sometimes it can be very frustrating to just get 'stuck' after running out of transitions to go through!

Maybe something could be figured out so that there is at least always one way to get to the next area? I have no idea.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 am

We don't need to totally get rid of the windstorms, but we definitely need a script to ensure that there is at least one working transition on any map you wind up on. In fact, the storms are kind of necessary to prevent someone cheesing the system by constantly going back through the transition they just arrived at until they get to the map they want.

Creating a new windstorm by entering a map should clear all other windstorms on the map, for example, and we need a script to make sure you never go through a transition and wind up elsewhere on the same map. That would solve the most frustrating aspects of the system.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am

and we need a script to make sure you never go through a transition and wind up elsewhere on the same map
This would be sooooo nice.
I can't even count how many times I've had that happen, and generally for me, it's a large contributor to getting stuck on a map.

Personally, I don't mind getting stuck, but having to wait +/-6ish minutes is a bit extreme.
If it was dropped to 3ish, The issue would likely rarely be noticed, and not be a huge deal when it occurs.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Three times i had been trying to reach again that sunk city lcoation.

I never managed to make it there again. And after like 5hrs in total wasted on running across desert i gave up.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm

It's pretty easy to get hit with a tick just as you finally go to leave the area after exploring every little inch of it and suddenly be trapped. Several times in a row.

Regarding anecoctal stories of the Lost Desert? I actually have a pretty great account of my first time going out there, and without a lense. Amazing roleplay from the struggle in that desert.

But such a struggle became irrelevant the instant I actually had a good grasp of the game. That kind of story is literally born of mechanical ignorance alone

I'm really fine with what Lorkas suggests as well.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 am

This issue is exacerbated if there's more than one party traveling in the desert, as suddenly you find yourself with fewer and fewer options.

I just transitioned into the same area I was trying to leave three times in a row. Once I went to the transition I was trying to leave by.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain