Reward Change

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Reward Change

Post by Barradoor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Reward Change:
- The planetouched subraces of aasimar and tieflings are now available as Major rewards. They were previously Greater rewards.

For those of us who have rolled, let's say.. 25 level 26's, with several 1 million gold + aretefact rolls, in hopes of one day playing a tiefling or something that isn't the same pale human girl again with a new build

Nice Change

Greater Rewards are now limited to the following...

-2 ECL - Copy from Normal
Access to the Ogre race, equivalent to humans in power, and goblins in seriousness.
Access to the Deep Imaskari subrace. While neat, they're literally just cave humans.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

TimeAdept

Re: Reward Change

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:48 pm

alas there were just too many no bio Uninjured neutral tieflings.

Good change.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 pm

honestly i must admit that my hopes of playing a horny half-goat tiefling barbarian lesbian were brutally murdered by this change, but with every fourth PC being a planetouched i think this was a good change. here are some things to consider when it comes to tiefling/aasimar, however:

whether the team intends to give them buffs or not to keep them in par with vampires, for example, the banishment/dismissal thing should be looked into (perhaps for the 5% tieflings/aasimar if not the old ones). it is a huge weakness for a race which is supposed to be played as a reward, and something should be done about that ECL reward for people who don't want to play ogres or deep imaskari as good friend bardor has explained in his post

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Being a reward shouldn't let you bypass weaknesses for the race.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:01 am

ok, sure, that is a good point, although I had hoped for the weakness of playing these planetouched races to come in different form, one where which they would be looked down upon by the society, for example but i won't fault anyone for roleplaying in the game however they prefer. vampires are weak to sunlight, for example, but powerful in other regards. and i mean... really powerful.

+2 to one stat and -2 to other ( or two stats in some case ) aren't a worthy investment speaking from a simple logical perspective. sure, you also get some damage immunities and skills on the side but it's still nothing to make up for a MASSIVE weakness that a banishment can inflict upon your character. if someone with a major reward wanted to play something similar to a tiefling or aasimar, i'm sure they would come up with something else.

like umm... big boy half-demons/angels, for example. i'm sure there's a lot of crazy things out there in dnd similar to these races. if anything, the races should at least be made more appealing to those that do want to play them.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 am

Barradoor wrote:Reward Change:
- The planetouched subraces of aasimar and tieflings are now available as Major rewards. They were previously Greater rewards.

For those of us who have rolled, let's say.. 25 level 26's, with several 1 million gold + aretefact rolls, in hopes of one day playing a tiefling or something that isn't the same pale human girl again with a new build

Nice Change
I mean, you'd just be playing the same pale human girl with that 5%. She'd just have horns this time.

Not convinced an opportunity of value has been lost.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:08 am

I'm sure there's a possibility of adding new interesting rewards to the tier!

I think it's too soon to be moaning, it'll fix the large amount of planetouched which is great.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:10 am

Now to hope they move both imps and fey to take their place on the greater reward tier.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am

I'm glad this change went in, it's still the best race, but now there should be less of them.
\

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am

Scurvy Cur wrote:I mean, you'd just be playing the same pale human girl with that 5%. She'd just have horns this time..

:^]
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 am

cant you just make a character with the horns head w/o being a planetouched

it's an option you can select
\

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 am

You can select it if you want a DM to teleport you.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:31 am

"But grumpy cat you don't like my horn hat???"
\

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 am

What You See is What You Get.

Off hand I cannot think of a none 5% race that has horns. So no, you cannot provide such a change.

EDIT

So no, BegoneTruth. No I don't. *grumps*
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 am

Minotaurs plz.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:45 am

It's only natural that you'd have a lot of outsiders, and this was a design failure:
The Greater Award is at 20%, which mathematically should mean that one out of every five players that roll, at least, should get one.

Now, the options to using it were:
Deep Imaskari, which doesn't seem particularly interesting (I'd play one, but I'm a little, pretty snowflake-born)
Ogre, which is even less compelling due to the race seeming to have a very limited kind of roleplay.
Outsiders, which could be meshed into nearly any concept, any place, and seem to be generally more powerful than their base race.

If you had to choose, which one would you choose?
Tieflings and aasimars are amazing, but they suffered from being the only real choice in the greater award tier.

I suggested to push them down to Greater again, but to make them request-only so that there are no times of overpopulation.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Rags

Post by Rags » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:48 am

Much agreed with the change, but those reward options need to be filled out. I've four normals sitting on me, with very little seeing like a fun option.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 am

There were more tieflings in Cordor than the RPR 30 days. This was absolutely necessary.

edit: put in genasi as Greater Rewards.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Astral

Post by Astral » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 am

Not sure if it's going to make any sense or be entirely tied to the topic but I'll give it a shot.

The real aspect who makes a character special (to you and to those around you) is how long you've been playing it for the most part. You feel it with the characters you play and I promise you that others feel it too. The "same old pale girl but with horns this time" is exactly why I only rolled epic characters I lvled fast and I still keep some lvl 30 toons I will never be brave enough to roll.

After so many years I can play anything (in that my lore is pretty decent and ability to direct my character's personality) but I fear my characters all speak and behave somewhat alike by this point. I dont feel like playing a different race each time will affect this, as all races in Arelith have settlements and 'western' mind set from what I see around me.

I guess my bottom line is I actually understand why people use rewards for a snowflake with horns. It makes things easier in blending in, ironically.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 am

Most of the reward races are just plain niche rp, or plain bad mechanically. There was nothing of worthwhile note on the entire list except "Greater reward" for Planetouched and generally the "5% Snowflake reward".

Now, only the Snowflake roll is worth to get. Folks, everyone grab your goblin warlock farmers we're gonna start cultivating exp circles, again. Is that what we want...What we really, really want? Probably not.

I agree that maybe the reward tiers need to be filled out a bit more, no clue how though.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 am

How about to make a list of these races and let them randomly generate list each week?

So you can make tiefling once per half year? And limit them by numbers? First ten? First five?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 am

I've always found that a lot of 'special' characters use their 'specialness' as a crutch.

That said, I believe it was intended to have taken out planetouched a while back to add other stuff, but then bigger stuff happened (see: EE).

Edit: Races should never get the shifter treatment, in the sense they're gated behind numbers. That is too much of an arbitrary system for a number that flunctuates according to activity of the player/character.
Last edited by Cortex on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:)

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 am

Yeah I was under the impression that there would be some rotation among what reward races were available, now that you mention it.
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Imperatrix

Post by Imperatrix » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 am

I don't feel particularly strongly about the change, but I think all that needed to be done is to apply some appearance rules to planetouched, since that's really what was making everyone angry. They're supposed to have one or two minor appearance traits, but a lot of them are walking around looking like half-fiends for some reason.

More selection at the greater level would also have helped. Bring on minotaurs. :-)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:02 am

Imperatrix wrote:I don't feel particularly strongly about the change, but I think all that needed to be done is to apply some appearance rules to planetouched.
I agree.
\