Herbalism Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

caldura firebourne

Herbalism Feedback

Post by caldura firebourne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:21 am

herbalism requires a huge investment for several of the endgame products that can be created, but has quite a few drawbacks that make it fairly unworthwhile to take making it rather lackluster in comparison to other trade skills, some of the problems I see with this one are

1. healing kits are costly to make crafting point wise, there's almost no way to make enough to properly stock a shop for any extended period of time, and even supplementing stock with healing kits requires quite alot of dedication to gather the ingredients just to keep up with demand and keep prices competitive

some healing kits, for example the +3 kits, require rare ingredients "mintspear" that are simply too difficult to gather in the underdark, sure Mintspear can be grown, but there is literally 4 places in the UD that they can be planted.
1. Zurkwhood grove, which requires class levels to enter. And access to one of the druid only caves
2.The Sharps District House, which requires permission to enter from the owner
3.Ogre Caves which requires ownership of the quarter or keys from the owner.
4.or the Spore farms, which requires citizenship in whatever district owns it this period and the hope that the district considers it a worthwhile enough investment to continue bidding on it
This isn't even considering that the Mintspear plant cannot even be grown by UD races, which makes acquiring one substantially more difficult.

2. there is no more market for seeds, which are very costly to produce, because they can only be planted in certain areas, and some seeds can only be planted in certain certain areas, which means nobody is buying them, this could be fixed by allowing "nature walker" classes the ability to plant anywhere, perhaps with a separate fixture limitation IE; 6 plant fixtures per map tile, to prevent farms where farms don't belong, perhaps also a requirement that plants outside of the farms need be "Tended" by druid/ranger/greenfingers at least 1/X days or the plant withers and dies, to prevent private gardens

3. potion brewing is a cool feature for the herbalists, and likely the staple of every herbalist's market viability, the problem here being the potions brewed are readily available by NPC merchant everywhere which makes it very difficult to compete with a literally inexhaustible and cheap market, perhaps adding more potions to the herbalists crafting menu could fix this, especially potions that aren't as easily bought en masse from NPC's, or increase the CL of potions brewed through herbalism

4. Mojo is made with entirely mundane ingredients, with a description detailing the extent of it's mundanity, and yet, it is not mundane. mostly a pet peeve of mine this could change, or not, it likely won't effect the market for this item because nobody buys it for it's remove curse property anyway, but rather as a material for attunement potions or Heal potions

(Edit)
5. there are several plant seeds that cannot be grown by UD races, but there are none that cannot be grown by Surface races, another pet peeve, seeing as these seeds are already limited in where they can be planted and how much can be planted in an area, why the need for further restriction?
Plays as the monster in your closet

Astral

Re: Herbalism Feedback

Post by Astral » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

I've played several characters with Herbalism as their main trade and I agree with most of the OPs feedback.

1. Potions and healings beyond the +1 kit are too common and cheap and there's no reason to craft them. Specially invisibility potions who have mojo in their recipe.
I like the OP's idea to increase the CL for potions made from 'materialistic' brewed substance.

2. I made almost all poisons in the menu and most of them have pretty low usability. By the time you can make them their DCs are at "target has to roll 1 zone". I would like to point out that 2 certain poisons are completely awesome from RP standpoint and I'd hope to see more poisons of the "RP" sort. Lastly, I take it their duration on a weapon is fixed on 6 IG hours like temporary essences? For me they last roughly half of that.

3. 100% agree about the Seeds market.

4. Only healing kits I ever made on a herbalist were occasional +10 kits I would gift or save for mid-fight healing. Never found myself making any of the rest at all.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 am

Just adding another herbalist player's agreement to all this. It's pretty demoralising to see every craftable potion dropped in spades by mobs or purchasable for pennies in Cordor.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:27 am

I'd like to see less potions from mobs/NPCs in general, so that people are more inclined to seek out players who can make them. Chest loot is fine.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

Agreed with OP, plus having separate vials jars and bottles is so pointless and annoying.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:56 pm

I would like to see more of the potions that can be made be like the giant strength potions. These require some specific ingredients which have to be sought after and gathered, but provide a level 15 bulls strength. So it is well worth it to buy as opposed to the standard level 3 potions which you have to reapply several times a journey.

Being able to create all the zoo spells like the giant strength potions which require specific ingredients would be an excellent boost to the herbalism skill.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Being able to make level 15 pots reasonable would be a great buff for herbalists. Honestly, I think any PC crafted consumable should always be better than the equivalent NPC buyable one.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:57 am

Astral wrote:Lastly, I take it their duration on a weapon is fixed on 6 IG hours like temporary essences? For me they last roughly half of that.
It's 10 minutes iirc