True Seeing

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Wordless Truth

Re: True Seeing

Post by Wordless Truth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 pm

I play both stealthers and casters at the moment.

The TS nerf helps stealther classes (which is good), but it also helps your cookiecutter who just needs an invis potion and something to make you lose LOS.

Is it possible to change the way it currently works to only work like that against stealth?

I don't see how TS should be that bad against your everyday invisibility potion, when See Invis or Invis Purge are, in essence, cheaper and now more effective.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Maybe have TS also give you a lingering see invisibility, which lasts as long as TS lasts. The rest of it is as it is now, an instant sort of scan for stealth.

But why would you not have see invisibility up as well? They can easily work in tangent making the above criticism moot? They're available as wands, so if you can use one, you can use the other.

Plus having a second TS would also counter it?

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:44 pm

The lingering See Invis seems sensible in my opinion.

Why not just cast TS and See Invis OR TS twice? Because you don't have time to cast two spells just to see a hasted WM charging at you. Granted, See Invis would suffice in that case.

TS is a 5th circle spell, as opposed to See Invis (2nd), and Purge Invis (3rd). I feel it should pay off if you block that spellslot.

But yeah, in general I'm happy that stealth-types got it better now.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:38 am

flower wrote:Does TS -spot- hidden person?

In deep past, once TS was out, the person became hidden again. Did something change?
If the hidden person is under the effects of Invisibility, then they will vanish when TS falls.

If the hidden person is in stealth, they will remain visible when TS falls. As a general rule, once a stealther is seen by any means (not heard through the listen skill), they remain visible until LoS is broken somehow.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 am

With TS change, what with HIPS now active IG? Is not HIPsing with current true seeing a bit overshoot?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am

flower wrote:With TS change, what with HIPS now active IG? Is not HIPsing with current true seeing a bit overshoot?
HiPS only fires when you enter stealth, and is on a 12s delay after you leave stealth, so the caster had that amount of time seeing the stealther at least.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I'd prefer an hours a level see invis vs the +10 spot.

Mostly because the sudden +10 spot will beat disguises that wern't able to be beaten earlier, and that whole situation is just going to be a headache for anyone unfortunate enough to be involved.
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

At least you can see people with the SFX.
:)

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I don't think any stealth mechanics, or true seeing mechanics have changed at all.

If you've detected a sneaker, through whatever method, they'll be visible until they break line of sight or HIPS (although on Arelith you won't be able to HIPS until you leave stealth and wait for the CD). This is regardless of whether your detection skill changes, or you lose True Seeing. (So polymorphing in and out of umberhulk shape, for example, is fine!)

If you've detected someone with True seeing they're seen (for all intents and purposes it'll be as if you've spotted them, as opposed to 'listened' them).
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Extended Spell metamagic doesn't seem to affect duration of the TS effect of the TS spell

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 am

CragOrion wrote:Extended Spell metamagic doesn't seem to affect duration of the TS effect of the TS spell
Metamagic will only affect the +Spot effect of the spell.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 am

BegoneThoth wrote:I'd prefer an hours a level see invis vs the +10 spot.

Mostly because the sudden +10 spot will beat disguises that wern't able to be beaten earlier, and that whole situation is just going to be a headache for anyone unfortunate enough to be involved.
Worry not.
They code it not to include disguise checks when they add it to stuff, like the Kensai +10 spot who doesnt effect breaking disguises.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Astral wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:I'd prefer an hours a level see invis vs the +10 spot.

Worry not.
They code it not to include disguise checks when they add it to stuff, like the Kensai +10 spot who doesnt effect breaking disguises.
Can I get this one confirmed by a dev?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

The Truesight bonus to Spot is applicable to disguises.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm

I actually really like that part, since it finally gives us a longer-lasting buff for penetrating disguises that isn't quite as metagamey as popping a clairaudience/clairvoyance before examining dudes since you get the truesight boost for way longer so you can just leave it on.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:The Truesight bonus to Spot is applicable to disguises.
Really? But it ~is~ possible to code a Spot bonus not to effect disguise checks right? Pretty sure my kensai never broke any disguise. Either way, I think including disguises in this Spot bonuses is actually legit and fits the idea of the spell.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Yes, the kensai Spot bonus does work differently in that it does not affect disguise-breaking.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Metamagic will only affect the +Spot effect of the spell.

Clearly. Can we fix that please?

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 pm

It's not a bug.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:30 am

Can we fix it anyway?

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:16 am

yellowcateyes wrote:It's not a bug.
1) That's pretty counter-intuitive
2) Seems a little like overkill

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Well, it all comes down to stacking. As a spell that gives +10 to spot and listen already exists. Do people forget that Clairaudience/Clairvoyance is a thing? But to get back on point, if the bonus from this spell and the bonus from TS stack. I can see that it might need a bit of work.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:48 pm

It's an interesting balance choice I can understand. If literally a second of True Seeing is enough to ruin a stealther's approach, then two rounds is just a nightmare.

Red Sunset

Post by Red Sunset » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Ramza wrote:Well, it all comes down to stacking. As a spell that gives +10 to spot and listen already exists. Do people forget that Clairaudience/Clairvoyance is a thing? But to get back on point, if the bonus from this spell and the bonus from TS stack. I can see that it might need a bit of work.
Well it would take a round or two to stack though, but interesting that you mention clairaudience. I was pondering on this spell myself. I seem to recall arguments that +10 spot -and- listen on clairaudiance was not very useful because one it was round based duration (so is true seeing) and two because +10 wasn't all that much in the scheme of things

I'm real curious why I read that +15 spot on a round based spell doesn't run afoul of the same round based worries. That +15 just like the +10 (and you're only getting +5 more for a sixth level spell versus a third) isn't even close to the +20 you get for amplify (first level spell) which is now a much longer duration than round based if I'm recalling the updates right.

Now granted listen only helps with stealth and spot breaks disguises too, but my point is more if a round based +20 listen wasn't useful enough why would any round base spot spell be much different?

Also if true seeing isn't going to provide some sort of round based see invisibility after the initial first round, would it make sense to take a look at invisibility purge? The spell description says it lasts turns per level, but last I used it it only purges the area of affect on casting. I suppose that could be related to the same issue that battletide has where it gets wonky if you move after casting it. However I have noticed that any monsters casting invisibility purge seem to have turn based duration. You could cast improved invisibility after the initial purge and a round later the spell will fire again and remove concealment.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 pm

I've never used Invis purge as a PC but Crinti mobs use it and it strips invis after the initial firing.