Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Xerah

Re: Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

Post by Xerah » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:03 pm

TimeAdept wrote:Please no don't remove the adventure XP that's more the point of the writs than the actual XP. Doing your 3 writs for 1 day fuels RP much longer than that and is actually the best part of the system.
Agreed. I’d honestly rather the instant exp go away if I was forced into a choice.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:
afreshstart wrote:The quests are great but they give too much incentive to grinding, rather than roleplaying, I think it'd be better if there were 1-2 quests avaible each day but they gave more xp.
I think they acrtually encourage more RP now since characters who dont have much of adventurer on their personalities at least have a better reason to go around places killing monsters and trying to find groups for it and finding grouos is easier now wich makes characters meeting more people.

EDIT:And i think on the topic about being to much AXP/XP ,if you think that is the case then the argument "just dont do all the three quests" is pretty solid for me after all the systems doesnt make you do three quests a day,you have the option to but dont have to ;)
I have met a lot more people now wanting to rp since it's easier to find people around their levels.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:59 am

Xerah wrote:
TimeAdept wrote:Please no don't remove the adventure XP that's more the point of the writs than the actual XP. Doing your 3 writs for 1 day fuels RP much longer than that and is actually the best part of the system.
Agreed. I’d honestly rather the instant exp go away if I was forced into a choice.
This is my opinion as well. Though in general, I think that how the quest system works currently is pretty ideal all around.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 am

ForgottenBhaal wrote:Did some testing. The adventure exp from quests could be lowered, or removed in my opinion, as you still get a flat exp bonus which is pretty damn nice.
I disagree strongly with this.
Quests do give a lot of adventure XP, that is true, but that is a short time that I just spend RPing the hunts with energetic people, instead of grinding my brains off on the floor every day, and all the spare time that I get I can use to further my plots or enjoy my RP knowing that I'm getting my max RPR bonus and I am not pressured to leave soon to raise the meter again.

And I think we want to promote that, not the other way around.

If I had to choose, I'd just lower the instant XP.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 am

Iceborn wrote:If I had to choose, I'd just lower the instant XP.
Same for me. XP for the quest, AXP for the revels.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 am

I'd rather not have to choose. The system is fine. Leave it.

I've also found it actually aids in at least low level RP and in making beginning connections. The phrase "I work for the Registry" has thrown together more diverse low level parties than Ive ever seen before, leading to a sort of lowbie renaissance IMO.

Don't flatten the tires on a good thing.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 pm

After three days of doing quests, im set at 17000 adventure exp. Thats why I belive the amount of exp should be lowered, that you get. If you make it about one third, or perhaps even a half, it would be alot better. And perhaps it might just be best to outright remove the "set" exp you get, and only grant adventure exp.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

ForgottenBhaal wrote:After three days of doing quests, im set at 17000 adventure exp. Thats why I belive the amount of exp should be lowered, that you get. If you make it about one third, or perhaps even a half, it would be alot better. And perhaps it might just be best to outright remove the "set" exp you get, and only grant adventure exp.
I can only assume that you're logging in, getting your quests, completing them pretty efficiently, and logging out for the day.

If so, that's a non-standard approach to playing and the fact that it seems a bit skewed to you probably isn't a major problem, imo.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

RedGiant wrote:I'd rather not have to choose. The system is fine. Leave it.

I've also found it actually aids in at least low level RP and in making beginning connections. The phrase "I work for the Registry" has thrown together more diverse low level parties than Ive ever seen before, leading to a sort of lowbie renaissance IMO.

Don't flatten the tires on a good thing.
this 100%
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm quite fond of the system as it is. It's wonderful to be able to remain reasonably on-par with folks, even while I've got limited play hours. Being able to reach the low epics and know I can sit back and RP and continue to make some progress off of the stored adventure RP goes a long way towards satisfying that little must progress imp screeching in the back of my head.
It's crooked, but it's the only game in town.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
ForgottenBhaal wrote:After three days of doing quests, im set at 17000 adventure exp. Thats why I belive the amount of exp should be lowered, that you get. If you make it about one third, or perhaps even a half, it would be alot better. And perhaps it might just be best to outright remove the "set" exp you get, and only grant adventure exp.
I can only assume that you're logging in, getting your quests, completing them pretty efficiently, and logging out for the day.

If so, that's a non-standard approach to playing and the fact that it seems a bit skewed to you probably isn't a major problem, imo.
Not really. I've been playing quite activly over these three days, and yet I've got this amount of exp.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 pm

It does end eventually.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:26 pm

ForgottenBhaal wrote:
Cataclysm of Iron wrote:

Not really. I've been playing quite activly over these three days, and yet I've got this amount of exp.
Fair enough! :)
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

ForgottenBhaal wrote:
Cataclysm of Iron wrote:

I've been up to 25k adv exp doing quests, a little hunting, exploration, a lot of crafting and most of my time spent RPing in Andunor.
Twice I've floored down to negative. And this is not remotely as much experience as it sounds.
After all, to get from level 25 to 26 you need 25k.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 am

1) Since quests are limited to 3 per 24hr IRL day, I'm really not sure how your amassing that much at low level. I'm getting maybe 2-3k.

2) Assuming your claims are correct, and further assuming median RPR of 20, you will get 40xp of that back per in-game hour. That 17,000 will take you 425 in-game hours to utilize. Granted we operate on a very rough 10 to 1 time compression, so even with in-game hours taking 6.5 6 min IRL, this will take you 2,762.5 2,550 minutes of solid game play or roughly 46 42.5 hours to see the benefit of.

That is easily double to triple the play time for the entire game of say...Halo Reach or Dishonored (sorry showing my age here). If you are an energy-drink consuming, unmarried, college kid in-between semesters, I realize this is nothing for you. But much of our community falls into other demographics. If you are a working stiff who plays 1-2 hours a day if lucky, it will take you a solid month and a half to work this pool off.

3) And everything Iceborn said. This 46 42.5 hours of boosted gameplay doesn't even advance you one level in high epics. These numbers might post impressively, but as far as levelling speed, this only shifts the gears on the casual player's levelling lawnmower from the double-turtle setting to the turtle setting.

Ergo, I still think its fine.

*Edit: Math corrected thanks to Pinata
Last edited by RedGiant on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 am

RedGiant wrote:so even with in-game hours taking 6.5 min IRL
For reference, they're 6 minutes.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:13 am

Are quests no longer repeatable?
\

Tepes

Post by Tepes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:16 am

I believe there are level tiers now.
Which is sad, for now big characters can't help little characters out anymore. And we have nearly the same dynamic as before.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:56 am

BegoneThoth wrote:Are quests no longer repeatable?
They are, but each quest has an individual daily timer.

This was part of the original system, but wasn't functional until recently due to timestamp recording issues.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:58 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:Are quests no longer repeatable?
They are, but each quest has an individual daily timer.

This was part of the original system, but wasn't functional until recently due to timestamp recording issues.
Thanks for clarifying!
\

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:33 am

The quest xp is the only thing that makes leveling now at least bearable. Just leave it as is.

Now you can actually suffer through the process of leveling a rogue or monk, which was borderline masochistic before. It's still a pain, but the instant bonus exp helps enormous, and let's be honest the adventure exp is just the replacement for lassoing. Lassoing was annoying. Let's all be adventurers for once.

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

As someone who can only play on weekends really, quests are so nice! Please don't nerf them.

In terms of lassoing, it's still useful and fun. I think the issue with it is that due to Wharftown's destruction you are limited to bringing your captives across the server to Cordor (where you get no gold reward, cause Cordor sux) or all the way to Sibayad. I wish there was some place more convenient like Wharftown was.

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Love the quests how they are now.

I'd vamp up the difficulty however... the hard ones are the most fun. Make the supereasy ones go away and keep the difficulty at hard so the adventurers doing them can get whole stories out of the experience.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Skeletor wrote:Love the quests how they are now.

I'd vamp up the difficulty however... the hard ones are the most fun. Make the supereasy ones go away and keep the difficulty at hard so the adventurers doing them can get whole stories out of the experience.
That'd make it more difficult for people who are not particularly good/have a lot of time/have a weak build early on.

The hard quests are already more rewarding anyway.
:)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm

I like the variety. Some real hard some not. That way if I am a rogue built to openlocks and no one is around I am not stuck. I can still do some of the easier ones that might not give as much xp or gold but I can still do something.

I will say there are some I'll never do again, like the bugbear one where you have to run about everywhere to find them and then it seems as if Bugbear Shamans are super are. Ohhh that one is evil.