Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cataclysm of Iron

Re: Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Beard Master Flex wrote:Ive been playing Arelith for years - I now have a wife, a child and a job that sees me in the field more often then not. Adventure XP and the questing has allowed me to start a new character and enjoy myself more then I think I would have been able to if things were left as they were.

To me the game gets fun levels 15+ when you’ve got your build taking shape and can reliably navigate the overworld to follow RP instead of having to choose between turning it down or dying to wyvryns and the like.

The new systems get you into the action more readily and reward you with character profession and fun. I’ve met way more characters on these quests then I used to trouncing the sewers.

I think it’s great!
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Seekeepeek wrote:The adventure xp is to much.
i have over 130k of it at lvl 20 (could only take quests to lvl 16). Without going out adventuring, it can get me to lvl 28 with a RPR of 20
That would take 9 days worth of staying online though, or 216 hours of playtime.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Yea people forget that the drip is actually a huge bottleneck on your xp gain from these quests.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm

I think that's fair. Our goal should be encouraging players to remain in character online for longer. It means more interactions, more RP potential, more opportunities for exciting stories. Despite all the feelings of gratitude, I know that it's human nature to see when I am not earning the most efficient amount of AXP, I am less likely to remain in lengthy roleplay and seek opportunities to correct my AXP total.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for the discussion! I think it's all very interesting. I suppose it's a new paradigm, and it just takes some adjustment getting used to it.

I do think some of the quests can be reworked. I also think quests should be adjusted so that there are 5x as many in the 1-10 levels than there in the 15-20 level bracket. But that'll be tweaked over time!

It certainly does some to make the -adventure obsolete. I wonder if we need to revisit the mode and provide more incentives. Or it's just totally useless. I was trying to think of a way to rework it, but everything I come up with seems to just make it more lucrative (which maybe isn't a bad thing). Like,

- give soft bonuses to Search at higher rest % cost
- give a higher % of gold when looting
- increase movement speed by 5% at higher rest %
- decrease the AXP bottleneck. I.e. if a RPR 20 max receives 40 XP pertick, AMode could increase it to 45xp or something
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Anything that gives you an incentive to go to other dungeons than those that currently offer the best XP/Hr ratio is a good thing IMHO.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Adventure mode has plenty of use after you get outside of quests; My most recent character ran out of adventure XP around level 22 or so, and kept toggling it on and off.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Beard Master Flex wrote:Ive been playing Arelith for years - I now have a wife, a child and a job that sees me in the field more often then not. Adventure XP and the questing has allowed me to start a new character and enjoy myself more then I think I would have been able to if things were left as they were.

To me the game gets fun levels 15+ when you’ve got your build taking shape and can reliably navigate the overworld to follow RP instead of having to choose between turning it down or dying to wyvryns and the like.

The new systems get you into the action more readily and reward you with character profession and fun. I’ve met way more characters on these quests then I used to trouncing the sewers.

I think it’s great!
Exactly how I feel.

Then once you're in epics you have a huge pool of adventure xp ticking away, so you don't feel like you're spinning your wheels XP wise when you get involved in RP, unlike the old (pre -adventure) system where it was really really hard to keep adventure XP up.
\

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:07 am

Nitro wrote:
Seekeepeek wrote:The adventure xp is to much.
i have over 130k of it at lvl 20 (could only take quests to lvl 16). Without going out adventuring, it can get me to lvl 28 with a RPR of 20
That would take 9 days worth of staying online though, or 216 hours of playtime.
True
A RPR 30 take 144 hours or 6 days.
A RPR 40 take 81 hours or 3,3 days.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 am

The quests are great but they give too much incentive to grinding, rather than roleplaying, I think it'd be better if there were 1-2 quests avaible each day but they gave more xp.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

afreshstart wrote:The quests are great but they give too much incentive to grinding, rather than roleplaying, I think it'd be better if there were 1-2 quests avaible each day but they gave more xp.
I think they acrtually encourage more RP now since characters who dont have much of adventurer on their personalities at least have a better reason to go around places killing monsters and trying to find groups for it and finding grouos is easier now wich makes characters meeting more people.

EDIT:And i think on the topic about being to much AXP/XP ,if you think that is the case then the argument "just dont do all the three quests" is pretty solid for me after all the systems doesnt make you do three quests a day,you have the option to but dont have to ;)
Last edited by Cybernet21 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:46 am

Yeah, more adventure EXP is really great for people who'd rather not grind.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 pm

afreshstart wrote:The quests are great but they give too much incentive to grinding, rather than roleplaying, I think it'd be better if there were 1-2 quests avaible each day but they gave more xp.
I disagree. The areas with quests are more lively now and the quest giver is a known place you can linger around if you want to find someone to party up with.

If you actually want to get out and adventure (and I think there's a difference between adventuring and "grinding", which to me means repeating the same areas over and over with little player to player interaction) it's much easier to do so.

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Miskol » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 am

I don't see an issue with the current system. For those who have the luxury of spending hours on grinding, the experience gained is not overwhelmingly significant since you're capped at 3 quests per RL day. For those who do not have the time to grind, the quest system is a great boon that encourages roleplay in addition to mechanical advancement.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:49 am

Just how much XP do the quests give?
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Just how much XP do the quests give?
Around 500-2000xp for trips that usually take 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your party size and experience level.

Tepes

Post by Tepes » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Miskol wrote:I don't see an issue with the current system. For those who have the luxury of spending hours on grinding, the experience gained is not overwhelmingly significant since you're capped at 3 quests per RL day. For those who do not have the time to grind, the quest system is a great boon that encourages roleplay in addition to mechanical advancement.

Pretty much this.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Some of the XP rewards need to be adjusted to better fit the difficulty of each contract, but I'm willing to ignore any minor imbalances for the matchmaking that the system provides.

"You're doing that contract? So am I! Let's go!"

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm

That matchmaking thing is a really good point - they make it much easier to find a party roughly the same level as you without having to awkwardly find some ic way of discovering if people are roughly the same level as you.
I <3 quests.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 am

I think the AXP should be toned down a bit as well.

I'm what you call "the casual player" who doesnt play too frequently these days and I sit on a gigantic axp pool only from doing a quest every now and then and I never turn adventure mode on. I suppose the fact I do different quest each time means I also explore new screens and portals but honestly, 50k axp is a lot. I presume any other "casual player" who decides they got time to do an adventure today will likely take 2-3 quests at once, with relative closeness to one another and do them all. This means the axp gotten from 2 hours of doing quests will take another 12 hours online to achieve and for a casual player it means I will likely do more quests before another 12 hours online pass (within something like a week in my case, for example).

So the people who truely benefit from the gigantic axp are people with high rpr, which are like 10%(ish) of the player base and grinders which then dont need to tune -adventure on, ever.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 am

Move some of the AXP to just regular XP?
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Astral wrote:I think the AXP should be toned down a bit as well.

I'm what you call "the casual player" who doesnt play too frequently these days and I sit on a gigantic axp pool only from doing a quest every now and then and I never turn adventure mode on. I suppose the fact I do different quest each time means I also explore new screens and portals but honestly, 50k axp is a lot. I presume any other "casual player" who decides they got time to do an adventure today will likely take 2-3 quests at once, with relative closeness to one another and do them all. This means the axp gotten from 2 hours of doing quests will take another 12 hours online to achieve and for a casual player it means I will likely do more quests before another 12 hours online pass (within something like a week in my case, for example).

So the people who truely benefit from the gigantic axp are people with high rpr, which are like 10%(ish) of the player base and grinders which then dont need to tune -adventure on, ever.
Disagree, personally. I've found unless I spend most of my time online (av. 2-3 hrs/day) doing quests my AXP pool runs out pretty quickly.

Not to say I think it's too little, but it definitely doesn't need toning down.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Honestly, I rp constantly and reality being, I run out of AXP really fast. AXP is there for rp, so you don't need to be grinding constantly.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Did some testing. The adventure exp from quests could be lowered, or removed in my opinion, as you still get a flat exp bonus which is pretty damn nice.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Please no don't remove the adventure XP that's more the point of the writs than the actual XP. Doing your 3 writs for 1 day fuels RP much longer than that and is actually the best part of the system.