Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

ReverentBlade

Re: Do Quests Give Too Much XP?

Post by ReverentBlade » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

They are plenty difficult enough for casual players. I'd even say that some are -too- difficult for the expected level.

Undulat

Post by Undulat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, I think contracts give too much XP and gold, though I understand the arguments to the contrary.
Last edited by Undulat on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Prior to the quests, there was always a gap of helplessness when you reach a certain mid-game level. The fun turns into a grind and you start to not enjoy playing the same character, even with other people. There's only so many ways to Roleplay through the same dungeon 10 times.

Most of us play adventurers. Adventurers want to advance, explore, and get better at adventuring. In out-of-game terms that is to level up. These new quests allow us to do exactly that. Just like before, but a little faster.

Now, for a lot of us, it's not necessarily faster on a daily basis, because we only put so many hours into this game, due to being busy IRL. But at least we get more out of the time we put into the game, and that's really helpful and makes us feel like we accomplished something. Like we don't have to grind our butts off to accomplish something.

I don't even understand how anyone manages to do 3 quests every single day; I could never get that much done. Even on days where I'm on many hours, I always get side-tracked by roleplay, which is absolutely a positive thing! But the point is, there's plenty like myself who never reach the daily quest cap.

Can we please just leave the quests as they are? They are clearly bringing in more players to the server. And for those of you hardcore players, here's a newsflash: More and more gamers become 'filthy casuals', because life is short and we've got stuff to do.

Undulat

Post by Undulat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Yes, I agree it's probably best for the server.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:36 pm

I agree with the above, leave the quests be they bring new players and also finally make rogues and monks playable.

Makes me wonder though... isn't part of being a "hardcore player" to impose a handicap on yourself for extra challenge? I mean, just don't do the quests then. Issue solved lol.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Xanos950 wrote:Makes me wonder though... isn't part of being a "hardcore player" to impose a handicap on yourself for extra challenge? I mean, just don't do the quests then. Issue solved lol.
Hah! That's a wonderful point.

Sadly in my experience, many hardcore players want everything to be hard for everyone, because apparently it's a competitive game they want to be better than you at (or they simply have more time than you, but that's 'winning', apparently).

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:25 pm

I'm going to state this more just to offer the information, for a presently efficient grinder in Arelith, writs are slower than circle-grinding with three people at all levels. Spending time doing writs has comparably used up time, and even taken more than one day, which could have earned 5-10k xp with just three people.

Tho that adventure XP has made it so I never need to turn adventure mode on again until like level 26-28.

Over the course of time it took me to even reach level 20, writs only really gave me 12-15k flat xp MAX. This is obviously excluding what was earned in adventure xp, but that really only cut a part of a day off my rise to level 22. That's not very much, and I already can't take anymore. Almost every time Ive done writs was to solo.

They really work for those who just do the writs then go back to rping.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:00 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Xanos950 wrote:Makes me wonder though... isn't part of being a "hardcore player" to impose a handicap on yourself for extra challenge? I mean, just don't do the quests then. Issue solved lol.

Sadly in my experience, many hardcore players want everything to be hard for everyone, because apparently it's a competitive game they want to be better than you at (or they simply have more time than you, but that's 'winning', apparently).
Hardcore player here, I want things easy so everyone can spend time learning to be as good as the 'hardcore' and less time grinding mobs.
\

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am

MissEvelyn wrote:

That's always the reason, no matter what they say :roll:

I love the quests! Not only I can log in for an hour, clear a couple of easy writs and log off to do irl stuff, but I've also met so many more people on adventures solely due to "I'm working for the agency" stuff mentioned before.

Don't change anything, please! (Except the hunt the huntsmen quest - final boss room is too much of a pain with atleast 7-8 circle 9 prebuffed priests sitting there :lol: )
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm

telmarael wrote:Don't change anything, please! (Except the hunt the huntsmen quest - final boss room is too much of a pain with atleast 7-8 circle 9 prebuffed priests sitting there :lol: )
Another one I had to go back to at a lil higher level x.x

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 pm

susitsu wrote:
telmarael wrote:Don't change anything, please! (Except the hunt the huntsmen quest - final boss room is too much of a pain with atleast 7-8 circle 9 prebuffed priests sitting there :lol: )
Another one I had to go back to at a lil higher level x.x
Unlike boogins, these are soloable on 15-16 :lol:
*sounds of explosion*

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Yeah, 15-16 is a pretty big jump from when you should even be doing these areas.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 am

The gold and XP seems rewarding enough at very early levels, but at level 6 I already have 15,000 adventure XP stored up! :shock:
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:The gold and XP seems rewarding enough at very early levels, but at level 6 I already have 15,000 adventure XP stored up! :shock:

im sitting at over 40k adventure exp at lvl 12.

Maybe we ought to reduce the adventure exp gain but increase the direct exp gain for handing in quests?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 am

Yeah, but math that out in hours real quick, and divide those hours by your daily playtime. At the rate I play, my char's adventure xp will take- jesus, 857 rpr ticks in a tavern? Which is, what, 85.7 hours? I can play an hour or two at the most each day, call it 1.5 for ease of use..

Fifty-seven days, an hour and a half average every day, all of that time spent in taverns so the xp gain is a Little higher.

Dude I think it's fine.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 am

The fact we all sit on 40-50k adventure exp on characters in the levels of 10s speaks loudly for itself. As it stands, this system diminishes the gap between grinders and high RPR holders.
Xanos950 wrote:Maybe we ought to reduce the adventure exp gain but increase the direct exp gain for handing in quests?
Yes please. This also diminishes the gap between casual players and everyone else.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 am

Increasing the instant XP would have the opposite desired effect. I can already get 6000 instant EXP daily just for doing three quests if I want. And some of them can take quite a while, nothing the people with less time can afford to do daily.
:)

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 am

Cortex wrote:Increasing the instant XP would have the opposite desired effect. I can already get 6000 instant EXP daily just for doing three quests if I want. And some of them can take quite a while, nothing the people with less time can afford to do daily.
You may be right. I simply look at the fact that instant exp has about the same cap for everyone per day. Such factors contribute in lowering the leveling speed gap all across.

When regarding to AXP however, the cap is irrelevant since everyone stack it to practical infinity, in which such factors are beneficial more to people with either: high rpr, plenty of playing time, grinders or all of the above.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 am

Play time is the only relevant factor, the amount someone wants to grind won't change how much adventure XP they get over time. Someone who does Cordor RP or whatever for hours while someone else is off grinding will get the same amount of adventure XP (given both have the same RPR).
:)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am

Quests give way too much XP, summon books drop far, far too often, and zinc is the rarest metal on the server.
\

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am

BegoneThoth wrote:Quests give way too much XP, summon books drop far, far too often, and zinc is the rarest metal on the server.
Can't agree on summoning books - simple fire/water/earth books are very rare and cost 10-20k... People need them, so they are always in short supply.

Please, don't change anything about quests - they are perfect
*sounds of explosion*

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 am

telmarael wrote:Can't agree on summoning books - simple fire/water/earth books are very rare and cost 10-20k... People need them, so they are always in short supply.

Please, don't change anything about quests - they are perfect
He's being sarcastic!
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 pm

In regards to Adventuring experience, it does exactly what it should be doing. Providing people a pool to eventually get extra experience from, but it does require them to stay logged on and actually interact with the world. Shocker, I know.

But the best part of it is that you have 100% control over whether you want to use Adventure experience or not. If you turn it off, you'll get the full value of the experience instantly! That's instead of getting only 50% and 100% in AXP, mind you, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about that if you're already stocked up on adventure experience.

My character is only level 8 and she has no more than 12k adventure experience stored up. I don't know how the rest of you manage to hoard that much, but not all of us are as savvy as you. So please, don't change the experience, adventure or not.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:In regards to Adventuring experience, it does exactly what it should be doing. Providing people a pool to eventually get extra experience from, but it does require them to stay logged on and actually interact with the world. Shocker, I know.

But the best part of it is that you have 100% control over whether you want to use Adventure experience or not. If you turn it off, you'll get the full value of the experience instantly! That's instead of getting only 50% and 100% in AXP, mind you, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about that if you're already stocked up on adventure experience.

My character is only level 8 and she has no more than 12k adventure experience stored up. I don't know how the rest of you manage to hoard that much, but not all of us are as savvy as you. So please, don't change the experience, adventure or not.
They're talking about the gain through quest completions (1.5k adv exp per pop? i cant remember rn). Quests ramp up a lot of adventure exp, just by casually doing your three dailys, you'll never even have to turn adventure-mode on ever again and will still sit at around 30k+.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Xanos950 wrote:They're talking about the gain through quest completions (1.5k adv exp per pop? i cant remember rn). Quests ramp up a lot of adventure exp, just by casually doing your three dailys, you'll never even have to turn adventure-mode on ever again and will still sit at around 30k+.
That's what I mean. Not everyone gets to complete 3 quests every day. It's more like 2-3 every week total for some.

And for those who feel they have more than enough adventure experience points, they can, like you said, simply turn it off until they feel comfortable turning it back on again. In the long run, they do lose out on the experience, but to a grinder it's probably no big deal.