Lowerdark Entrance/Exit

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RedGiant

Lowerdark Entrance/Exit

Post by RedGiant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:08 am

There is an unmarked entrance to the lowerdark situated in a fairly mid-level area. This is fine and well, BUT, the backside of the entrance has a super-duper-epic sonic trap permanently affixed to the door.

All this to say, if you are a mid-level unfortunate enough to peek your head behind door number one to see what's there, you then find yourself face to face with all the horrors of the lowerdark with no way back unless you happen to be an epic rogue.

Assured death for opening a door in a level-appropriate dungeon seems abit harsh.

Recommend the entrance either be appropriately marked or the trap removed and exit allowed. For my druthers, I like the latter option.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Lowerdark Entrance/Exit

Post by Durvayas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 am

I feel like the intent of that entrance being so unforgiving is to drive home the very real danger of the lowerdark. You can't lense out. The only way out, is deeper.

If you can solo into the grimlocks to reach the entry, you can usually solo the areas beyond if you are careful and take your time. If you brought a party, you can usually survive the lowerdark at least well enough to reach the portal only two areas away, provided nobody runs ahead and draws tons of aggro.

That said, I think its fine as is. If you aren't an epic rogue, you aren't going through that door without bashing it for almost 2000 damage, which takes forever with all its DR, even for a weaponmaster. Perhaps consider why the door is so thick. What could it be trying to keep out, or in perhaps?

Perhaps floaty text drawing attention to how strong the door is could clue people in on the horrors that lie beyond, without shifting the module design to make it easier.

My first time in the lowerdark I was unable to get back, and that moment of "Oh shit I'm trapped" was great. I was on my toes the entire time until I found a safe way home. I would hate to deprive the experience of how dangerous the lowerdark is to new people by advocating making escape easy. Death's consequences exp-wise have never been lighter. If someone is solo-ing and gets trapped(like I did), then they'll come out of the experience with the knowledge that that door leads nowhere safe, and they should probably think twice about exploring while alone. bring a friend if you haven't been. Its good fun.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Durvayas wrote: Perhaps floaty text drawing attention to how strong the door is could clue people in on the horrors that lie beyond, without shifting the module design to make it easier.
And a very clear and concise description when you examine it about how difficult it would be to open from the other side.
\

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Curious... does the AA death arrow insta nuke the "god-door" despite its 2k+ hp?

But yeah, maybe floaty texts once you start to hit the thing or even approach it.

"Literally the thiccest door you've ever seen, wonder what's behind it? Probably a shortcut to the afterlife."

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)