Please Add Npc Guards to Guldorand

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

sporting1

Please Add Npc Guards to Guldorand

Post by sporting1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm

This one is a no brainer, I believe, that doesn't need any kind of introduction.

Guldorand's been a part of Arelith for as long as I can remember in terms of being a fully fledged settlement, however small it may be. I've watched it acquire shops when it did not, I've watched it acquire statues over Rp I never quite witnessed.. It really developed as a whole as something unique and away from the other cultures of the Island.

There is, however, something Guldorand is also known for, which just so happens to be something that makes absolutely no sense.

Guldorand has no guard npcs, either at the front or back, in spite of being the settlement with the greatest dangers on its doorstep. Solav's always been a joke in this regard, the caravans get destroyed by sneaky cats, and if anything even manages to mow Solav down - which is relatively easy by the way - the entire settlement gets razed by a hand full of npcs if no one is around to deal with them. And someone, be that an individual or a group of people, continues to do this systematically.

The body count continues to go up now to a point it becomes ludicrous, and blatantly obvious that it's being done on purpose multiple times per week. From Foof to Vampires from Crypts, just about anyone can guide a murder stack of npcs into Guldorand simply because they can. It does not create any Rp because there are no real loose ends to pick up on, and it gets tiresome to return to a completely dead settlement for seemingly no other reason than someone knowing how to take full advantage of this breach of the Be Nice rule.

I'm sure there are a gazillion other reasons for us to have guards, such as multiple developments in Rp to have been rather lawful or pro-defense, but the fact remains this is the one addition that is long overdue but never quite came or stuck around.

Just my two cents.

Garveus

Re: Please Add Npc Guards to Guldorand

Post by Garveus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm not sure if someone really exploits this on purpose, but other than that, I agree wholeheartedly - Guldorand having no guards just doesn't make sense and it breaks immersion a great deal. If anything could be done about it, I'd appreciate it too!

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Garveus wrote:I'm not sure if someone really exploits this on purpose, but other than that, I agree wholeheartedly - Guldorand having no guards just doesn't make sense and it breaks immersion a great deal. If anything could be done about it, I'd appreciate it too!
We know for a fact that people have led mobs through intentionally, which I won't go into great detail but we do have evidence for it. Sometimes it is accidental yes. Guldorand has some dangers around it and players underestimate things and then make their characters run back into town for safety. That is still annoying, but at least it isn't intentional. There have however been cases throughout the years where it has been done intentionally however and it has happened recently.

The argument I'm going to throw in here is that Guldorand is perhaps the most dangerous settlement on the surface. It is surrounded by wyverns, ogres, wereboars, giants, and Talassians right outside the gates with many more dangers elsewhere in the mountains. It would make sense that even if Guldorand didn't have a regular npc militia, that the npcs who have been living there would be very strong and capable to put these threats down. Somehow the people have survived all these years without Amn or Cordor stationing guards.

It's also just super obnoxious to have NPCs essential to the town including merchants and settlement npcs like Elder Harman and Nel the Foreman being unable to talk to because they're dead on a regular basis.

Oh the year was 1778...

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:27 pm

I’m surprised that this update wasn’t made years ago, to be honest. I know for a fact plenty of effort went into giving Guldorand a proper wall (aka, a means of defending itself against mountain cougars) a few years back that was either contrary to the Devs beliefs for Guldorand or simply not heeded.

The town has a history of getting assaulted. It’s nonsenstical that it still doesn’t have a sturdy guard force at the front and back entrances.

Long overdue change.
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Having played an official guard of Guldorand, this is sorely needed I must agree.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:Having played an official guard of Guldorand, this is sorely needed I must agree.
Are there PC guards now?

Sounds like a simpler solution then just employing strong NPC guards.
\

sporting1

Post by sporting1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:38 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
DarkDreamer wrote:Having played an official guard of Guldorand, this is sorely needed I must agree.
Are there PC guards now?

By this logic, settlements such as Brog or Cordor shouldn't even have a player guard, and that it's fully ok to murder all npcs and Rp a one mob army invasion due to the absence of players or npc guards. Either way, there are pc guards, but pc guards can't be expected to be there at all times. Same for Cordor. There is a thing called immersion.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm

For the purposes of not having to raise NPC's over and over again when the PC runs for their life against a strong enemy, a single NPC guard outside of the gates of Guldorand would be nice.

But once Hack Guldorand comes out, this should be self-corrected.

This should go in the suggestions thread though, it's more a suggestion rather than feedback.
Please don't feed my sister.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm

DM Titania wrote:For the purposes of not having to raise NPC's over and over again when the PC runs for their life against a strong enemy, a single NPC guard outside of the gates of Guldorand would be nice.

But once Hack Guldorand comes out, this should be self-corrected.

This should go in the suggestions thread though, it's more a suggestion rather than feedback.
This should go in suggestions yes but there have been topics made already in that section for this suggestion including a recent one that is already buried by other posts. A lot of us wish to voice our concern over this matter and it would be better to have one thread we can all reply to than to make several separate posts in the suggestion thread we thought. It isn't just the front gate, it's the back one too. A lot of us are just really frustrated over this. Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I did suggest posting here so we can all say something without spamming the suggestions topic.
BegoneThoth wrote:
Are there PC guards now?

We do have an active militia faction but it's not like we can have a pc guard stationed in town 24/7, and expect them to handle everything on their own, and expect them to be able to raise all the bodies after. Not even Cordor's guard faction has a PC on duty every second of every day to respond to everything.

Oh the year was 1778...

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm

and expect them to handle everything on their own, and expect them to be able to raise all the bodies after.
Do you expect/want the requested npc guards to do this/be able to do this? NPC's that rez seem pretty op.
\

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
and expect them to handle everything on their own, and expect them to be able to raise all the bodies after.
Do you expect/want the requested npc guards to do this/be able to do this? NPC's that rez seem pretty op.
The point is that if there were a competent NPC guard in Guldorand, then resurrections wouldn't be necessary. No other settlement has the problem that the enemy NPCs routinely dragged in are stronger than any of the NPC guards in the area. What happens if someone who can't handle Talassians or ogres decides to walk to Guldorand instead of paying for the boat ride is that they wind up running to Guldorand, with those enemies in tow, and the PC just keeps on running while the NPC enemies switch to slaughtering first oxen and the caravan master, then Solav, and ultimately the vagrant child NPC and his struggling-to-find-work father.

Guldorand really needs a competent guard at each of the major gated entrances--Alyss and Erika the former Watchwomen of Wharftown would do really nicely, and they were even stationed in Guldorand for awhile after Wharftown's destruction as part of RP to try to offer them employment after said destruction, but after a few resets they just vanished and didn't reappear.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Lorkas wrote:Alyss and Erika the former Watchwomen of Wharftown would do really nicely, and they were even stationed in Guldorand for awhile after Wharftown's destruction as part of RP to try to offer them employment after said destruction, but after a few resets they just vanished and didn't reappear.
Alyss is dead (Sorry for those who didn't know, spoilers!) but Erika would do nicely.
Please don't feed my sister.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10658

From almost exactly a year ago.

I guess the reason I post that link is because this problem with Guldorand is not really new. It is the settlement that suffers with this the most. Nowhere else are the local mobs so much more lethal than the local inhabitants.

This was frustrating and expensive when you could still just go and buy a stack of raise scrolls, and has only become more irritating since.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 am

DM Titania wrote:
Lorkas wrote:Alyss and Erika the former Watchwomen of Wharftown would do really nicely, and they were even stationed in Guldorand for awhile after Wharftown's destruction as part of RP to try to offer them employment after said destruction, but after a few resets they just vanished and didn't reappear.
Alyss is dead (Sorry for those who didn't know, spoilers!) but Erika would do nicely.
Rannos and Alice themselves actually had a little rp event with I think Erika as well as a few guards and a dog, where we offered them a chance to stay in Guldorand and work for the town. Alice and Rannos offered them shelter in exchange for them being our new guards. After a little discussion they agreed. They hung around until the next reset, and we were confused that they were just gone. They actually held off an attack successfully and it was great for the short time it lasted.

Oh the year was 1778...

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 am

I will be the Devil's Advocate here, probably to much booing and tomato throwing.

For as long as anyone can remember, people have been trying to make Guldorland into more than what the setting suggests. I remember once a group of PCs trying to turn it into the seat of a Magocracy/Mystical Empire.

Its a logging camp...sometimes even struggling at that...hanging on the side of a cliff...beset by hostile druids, Vipermonks, monster races, undead, golems, Talassians, and scantily-clad evil barbarians.

I like that is has an 'outpost' feel. Civilization goes here...barely...and no further. The Mountains are wild and dangerous.

The counter arguments have always been, well, respect our role play. We parked here for a long time. Develop the place accordingly. But, if we adjusted every place lvl 30 PC stomp through, then I dare say there would be none of those wild/dangerous/frontier feeling areas left on the server.

Just my two cents, but I LIKE the dangerous feel of Guldorland.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 am

The counter argument is that it’s not good design to have NPC spawns run rampant though the village because they follow a PC. DMs should be the ones who reenforce the dangerous feel, not some random AIs.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Its a logging camp...sometimes even struggling at that...hanging on the side of a cliff...beset by hostile druids, Vipermonks, monster races, undead, golems, Talassians, and scantily-clad evil barbarians.
It's a logging camp that has survived in spite of such dangers. It's far more of a stretch for Guldorand to exist in such dangerous territory without proper defenses than it is for Guldorand to have a guard force that can defend against all the things you listed above.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 am

Guld has forever been a logging camp, and suffered from, dare I say, a lack of developer attention despite its fairly stable and constant player population. It is in very easily fortified territory, protected by cliffs, mountain passes, and bridges. Yet for all its exported lumber, it doesn't have defenses. With wharftown gone, it has had an influx of people, both of the refugee and PC variety, and is in need of dev attention to address this.

Yes, Guld is getting a rework, I know, but having some semblance of guards is very long overdue. Its unrealistic to expect a PC cleric to linger the settlement all day every day just in case all the NPCs get killed. Its not something the PCs can, or should, do.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 am

RedGiant wrote:The counter arguments have always been, well, respect our role play. We parked here for a long time. Develop the place accordingly. But, if we adjusted every place lvl 30 PC stomp through, then I dare say there would be none of those wild/dangerous/frontier feeling areas left on the server.
The other counter argument is simply that it makes no sense to have an unprotected logging camp in a super dangerous area. And realistically, I don't think Guldorand can be said to be just "a logging camp" anymore. It has a developed mercantile. It is home to a very well-established monastery. It has walls, it has trade with Amn. It has been invested in by both local and foreign powers. And yes, it's a town in a dangerous place - and that is all the more reason for it to have guards, to protect the investment that has been made.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Maybe have guards that are monks?

Monk NPC Guards wouldn't detract from the more civilian/logging appearance of the town, and would reflect Soulhaven's existence within the town.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:20 pm

If the place is so dangerous and mobs and players keep destroying it, wouldn't it be fair to say it should, rather then get better, be updated to reflect the ongoing damage done to the settlement? Can the city really afford to muster a guard force when they die, sometimes multiple times, every RL day?
\

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Why is there so much pushback against Guldorand having guards capable of defending it against local mobs like literally every other settlement has? Even the Outpost and Greyhammer are better defended, and they're blips compared to Guldorand.

To say that "this settlement keeps getting trashed so it shouldn't have NPC guards" when the only reason it keeps getting trashed is BECAUSE it doesn't have NPC guards seems a strange sort of circular reasoning, especially when RP has been put in to get NPC guards.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Considering the expansion of the Skull Crags, the rise of the Talassians, and Guldorand being the only other dominant-human settlement outside of Cordor, there really should be something. It doesn't make sense for a profitable logging operation to have no security. Especially considering there are Amn Pilots there, and a century-old monastery.

Monk guards would be cool. So would lumberjacks with bows.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

flower

Post by flower » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 pm

I just wonder for whom they do the logging operation lol.

But yes, Guldorand should have guards. Especially with new AI able to pursuit you trough several areas and player may not be even aware of that. Happened to me once, no npc arrived while i was there for like 10 minutes when i ported off NPCs came and killed all and then i was blamed from murders lol. That is simple hilarious.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 pm

flower wrote:I just wonder for whom they do the logging operation lol.
Amn. There was a big event about that a few years back.