Bank Storage Space

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

WanderingPoet

Bank Storage Space

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:39 am

This popped up in the question about forcing doors, but it was a good idea that I've also been thinking about.

Could we have banks have storage space? Talk to the banker and get access to a chest that holds 10 items. The fee can be say 500 gold a month, and if you don't refresh it once every RL month then the contents are vaporized. Maybe even allow 20-30 for an additional extra 500 gold per 10 per IG month. Auto close the account if a character rolls.

Problem: Storage space is limited to quarters and quarters are limited. Players want to keep books/RP items/equipment but not carry it everywhere.

Solution: This would free up quarters that are used only for storage space, since there is now an alternative. It'd allow people to keep books/RP items/equipment without needing to buy a quarter. With an expiry of a RL month it'd close anyone's accounts that are not used enough, and there would be at max one per character. This would also allow alts to have storage space since we're limited to one quarter per player, meaning alts can't have quarters if a main does.

Thoughts? I don't know the technical limitations on why there is such limited storage space on the server and why we can't have 10-30 items/character stored.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ozzy.nl

Re: Bank Storage Space

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

This I love. Though I'd suggest lowering the price because the price is not more attractive then a quarter.

I do think a Dev awnser will be no. Reason would be server preformance as this would eat up a chunk of that since one chest would need to load a different inventory based on the person talking to it.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 am

I believe performance is the cited reason for limited storage space in the past, the more persistent containers in the module, the more resources it eats up.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

There is the existing vaults, (I can only remember the one in cordor below the shady pub). That's essentially what you're asking for right?

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am

Kirito wrote:There is the existing vaults, (I can only remember the one in cordor below the shady pub). That's essentially what you're asking for right?
I believe the distinction is that these count as player quarters and OP would prefer something that didn’t?
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Due to server resources, yes. Thats the reason they count as player housing, which is quite understandable.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Part of asking the idea is asking if server resources are still an issue here? I imagine tech wise server resources have improved dramatically over the years. I've seen this work fine on another server (although not from a bank teller, it was a separate room that anyone could pay to enter and could store 50 items or something).

I don't know how it is coded in the backend of course, but I would think that stores/quarter chests as persistent storage need to be filled on server load which could poke performance but that storage which only loads when a player uses it would not be as performance heavy as add new quarters/vaults unless people are constantly talking to the bankers or somethign.
Kirito wrote:There is the existing vaults, (I can only remember the one in cordor below the shady pub). That's essentially what you're asking for right?
Not quite what I'm asking for. The idea is to allow people to have storage on all characters (vaults count as quarters), and not tie it to a specific settlement (or shady pub) so it is more accessible RPwise. There is very little incentive to use the vaults unless you really don't want a home or really can't find one, as you're still limited by the quarter limit.
Ozzy.nl wrote:This I love. Though I'd suggest lowering the price because the price is not more attractive then a quarter.
The high cost is to help keep down the amount of storage space used (offset performance issues) - if you want 30 spaces then be ready to pay a lot. This would help ensure the storage space is used typically by active characters while not be impossible to pay for lower level characters and less active players.

Depending on if performance is still an issue, could change the gold amount to reduce the use of it further. For example, if number of items is an issue then 10 items could be 500 gold, 20 could be 1500 and 30 could be 3000 all per ingame month. If number of storages are the issue then could just have the 30 for 3000 mark, gives players storage without being affordable by relatively lowly played characters (spitballing solutions here, need more info though on why it could be a performance issue for any real ideas).

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:Part of asking the idea is asking if server resources are still an issue here? I imagine tech wise server resources have improved dramatically over the years.
Based on the sheer number of quarters and shops in and around Cordor these days compared to a few years ago when I last played, they certainly seem to have done so.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm

My suggestion was the one in the other thread. I still stand behind it regarding per player allowable though, otherwise people would still have many characters and the amount of server toll would be super high. I mentioned it mostly for the reason of easy access, the suggestion was allowed/taken on board regarding having to needlessly walk all over the place and so the mercantile has been spruced up. It would be a good QOL if there were ""safety deposit boxes"" convenient for a few valuables that you didn't have to go accessing underneath a tavern in an out of the way part of the city to get to (vaults).

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Just to uh, back up what others are saying: Yes - Vaults currently count as player housing, and thus all the rules associated. Thank you.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Instead of using persistent chests, why not just write the items to the database, similar to how the inventory storage bags work?

This shouldn't create load on the server, because the information is in the database, not the module, and only accessed when the player's storage account is accessed.

At least that is how I think it works. I could very well be wrong.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Anatida wrote:Instead of using persistent chests, why not just write the items to the database, similar to how the inventory storage bags work?
If I remember correctly, the storage bags only store basic items, anything customised will lose its custom content (eg descriptions and enchantments)

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 pm

And technically speaking....

The chests contents ARE stored in the database.

Item bag contents ARE stored on the module (well through the item.. but same thing more or less as far as performance is concerned).

Plus what kirito says that the bags don't store enchantments or much of anything beyond the base item.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Kirito wrote:
Anatida wrote:Instead of using persistent chests, why not just write the items to the database, similar to how the inventory storage bags work?
If I remember correctly, the storage bags only store basic items, anything customised will lose its custom content (eg descriptions and enchantments)
Vaults that could store generic raw materIals would even be welcome on my alts.. who tend to be more active than my supposed "main" with the quarter. That would certainly make crafting easier which might throw off the economy, or might spur growth.. hard to say on that.

I have long wondered- if coveted quarters in high traffic areas didn't have storage chests would they change hands faster to allow more use by those who want them for active RP? Not really a suggestion, just a thought.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I think storage encourages hording. Reducing the risk of loss only increases the possibility that character will horde large amounts of resources/items.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:25 pm

^Having rentable chests in vaults or hideaways, and removing the chests from (most) quarters, with rules specifying max one of each per player,might have an interesting impact.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Ork wrote:I think storage encourages hording. Reducing the risk of loss only increases the possibility that character will horde large amounts of resources/items.
Reduce storage and people will just sell stuff off and hoard gold instead, which is usually more useful than a chest full of, lets be honest, random garbage most of the time.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Ork wrote:I think storage encourages hording. Reducing the risk of loss only increases the possibility that character will horde large amounts of resources/items.
And what is wrong with hording? You talk of it like its a bad thing, but nostalgic items add RP flair, being able to store costumes/disguises makes it easier to play someone that uses such, being able to store crafting materials allows people to also have enough room to adventure.
Woper_The_Black wrote:My suggestion was the one in the other thread. I still stand behind it regarding per player allowable though, otherwise people would still have many characters and the amount of server toll would be super high. I mentioned it mostly for the reason of easy access, the suggestion was allowed/taken on board regarding having to needlessly walk all over the place and so the mercantile has been spruced up. It would be a good QOL if there were ""safety deposit boxes"" convenient for a few valuables that you didn't have to go accessing underneath a tavern in an out of the way part of the city to get to (vaults).
I stand against one per player, that is the point of the cost - realistically the vast majority of players would not be able to consistently keep up a high amount of gold to afford the cost of having the account across more than a few characters.

But even if it was one per player, allowing them to be accessed by any bank teller rather than the vaults would be a vast improvement over the current system. Making it 1 bank account AND 1 quarter per player would be a nice improvement in allowing someone to have a Main with a quarter and an Alt that can still hold a couple items.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 am

Quarter ownership is probably the only thing differentiating a "main" and an "alt" for me. The alt (or alts, I have two) get played way more, but the "main" has a quarter and a shop and I mostly log in for the idle RP there.

I don't expect or want all three to be able to have real estate but being able to store like 10 bulky items or stacks of heavy materials in a bank vault would be a huge quality of life change. Really, even if there was a resource bank that stored generic resources (separate from the settlements, but possibly tied to it so you could donate directly) for every character, that would still be great. I think it would foster more crafting too which could only be a good thing.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 am

I agree. I’d like at least ten items storage at the bank.

Xuuldar

Post by Xuuldar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 am

I would love some sort of "safety deposit boxes". I would even be fine if it was very short term, like 2-4 RL hours, or heck, even an hour like temp shops(though an hour is a bit too short but better than nothing). So say you log in to play and have stuff encumbering you or eating space, you could walk over and safely stow those items for a short period so you could go dungeon crawl or RP or whatever, then come back and pick your stuff back up before you log out.

If you are a WM/barb/fighter its annoying to have inventory slots filled up but if you are a non-STR based class, or god forbid a STR penalized class/race, you can't carry much of anything. Even simple things, like shopping, becomes a royal pain. I stopped playing a druid I had because my choices where to never have anything past a couple heal kits and potions, run around town as an animal, or walk everywhere heavily encumbered. I refuse to run around town in animal form and my other 2 options got real old, real fast. I even for a time tried to find out of the way barrels I could toss stuff in and hope it was still there when I came back from adventuring. :)

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 am

Might as well ask for bags of holding, limited by 1-x per character.

StoneBreaker

Post by StoneBreaker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Storage is a problem but I do agree with the weird resource bank. Most of my chests are usually full of ore and metal.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, speaking as heavy crafting characters, my storage chests are essentially nothing but crafting mats en masse to support the shop.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Teshil wrote:I agree. I’d like at least ten items storage at the bank.
Same.

And let you pay like 500,000 gold to upgrade to 20.
\