Discussion: Bannishments shown in Description?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

azrael_athing

Discussion: Bannishments shown in Description?

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

To avoid diluting the discussion done in the other Outcast-labeled, which is topiced to discuss the matter of a suggestion that was made, I decided to post a new thread instead.

Thinking in a slightly different angle here:

What if the characters current bannishment-lists would be visible (Common-knowlage), in the description of the character?

edit: Perhaps even the settlement may also add a reason for their exile?
e.g "This individual is bannished from Narnia, on account of being the Ice-queen"
Last edited by azrael_athing on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Discussion: Bannishments shown in Description?

Post by Kuma » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm

hm

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

I think this is an interesting idea, but if it were brought in I think it should replace current mechanical exiles, rather than add to them. Having someone exiled from cordor, and have everyone easily able to tell at a glance they're exiled from Cordor is, perhaps, a little harsh.

I also think that, like current exiles, it should be limited to a certain amount of people. Especialy if other mechanics (e.g. ability to vote in elections) is tied to it.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 pm

I don't think it's a good idea. If you want to know who is banished, check the exile list, memorize it, and then RP to make a point of knowing the faces of everyone. It's not realistic to have banishments listed on a person and it opens up an opportunity for meta-gaming.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I"m confused how you would RP it, since banishments can be lifted. A mark wouldn't make sense in that instance.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Durvayas wrote:I"m confused how you would RP it, since banishments can be lifted. A mark wouldn't make sense in that instance.
With a lifted bannishment, the mark would be removed I figured?

Making it in a bit of a "Outcast-light"?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Don't really think it's needed as there are public boards that just let you learn who is banished so you can RP it.

Unlike Outcast.
\

Stath

Post by Stath » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Please no. Why is it so hard to organically find out that information ic by asking.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

I think that such things would be best left for FOIG. I find it fun to try to figure out why a person is banished/exiled and seeing all the different reasons one gets (some of them legitimate, some political, some just wild rumors etc). THere are lots of reason why a person gets an exile and It's a lot of rp to not know them

Also I definitely do not think that this should repace mechanical exiles. THe mechanical exiles were put in because players could not be trusted to rp thier exiles and basically just abused and ignored RP. (I know this because I was there when they put it in and am aware of what went on at the time when we did not have mechanical exiles). Mechanical exiles are not perfect and can be frustrating, but I'd rather improve them that replace them at this time.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Not without a successfull *looks*

Though I think its fine the way it is. There's an in-game list, if you see someone on the list, you know they're exiled.

This idea does have one advantage over the list. In the event you recognize a person by their common disguise or their looks, ie, if this is one of those characters that never uses their real name.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm

How would you justify knowing that character A is exiled if your own character does not actually know said character? Figuring that out just by looking over a stranger's description is no better than metagaming a character's name IMHO.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Wanted posters

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Boring.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:28 am

Then just put up and maintain a selection of wanted posters, or an IC exile notice board.

This is one of the many facets of the game where automation is both unneeded and undesirable.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 am

Iirc Cordor has a dynamic exile board in a public area able to be inspected by all even the banished.

It's pretty ideal and I think most settlements would benefit from such a thing.
\

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 am

BegoneThoth wrote:Iirc Cordor has a dynamic exile board in a public area able to be inspected by all even the banished.

They already do
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 am

No.

Why is there this current line of thinking that makes it seem like we really need to just absolutely make it as painfully obvious as a long monologue before a tablesaw that people are evil.

Why do we need more meta for an already overly interconnected (via discord or other 'magical' means) of instantly communicating.

There is -description, you can put whatever self flagellation tag you want to if you're that into making it more obvious for yourself.

Why isn't there more appropriate punishments for the good guys who mingle in the dark like the smell of underdark spores and dust? All this seems to target is criminals and outcasts. There's plenty of meddling from people abusing prisoner slave collars just to use a portal, there's plenty of infiltration by good people just chilling in the hub like it's a nightclub. Yet we will either deal with it in game or just get on with it.

Some people don't even need this brand, magically people know they're Cyricists. Magically people know who an exiled person is by name alone on a board.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 am

Thanatosis wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:Iirc Cordor has a dynamic exile board in a public area able to be inspected by all even the banished.

They already do
I must just be missing them then!

Either way it's a perfect system, no reason to change.
\

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am

Echohawk wrote:No.

Why is there this current line of thinking that makes it seem like we really need to just absolutely make it as painfully obvious as a long monologue before a tablesaw that people are evil.

Why do we need more meta for an already overly interconnected (via discord or other 'magical' means) of instantly communicating.

There is -description, you can put whatever self flagellation tag you want to if you're that into making it more obvious for yourself.

Why isn't there more appropriate punishments for the good guys who mingle in the dark like the smell of underdark spores and dust? All this seems to target is criminals and outcasts. There's plenty of meddling from people abusing prisoner slave collars just to use a portal, there's plenty of infiltration by good people just chilling in the hub like it's a nightclub. Yet we will either deal with it in game or just get on with it.

Some people don't even need this brand, magically people know they're Cyricists. Magically people know who an exiled person is by name alone on a board.
🤡

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah,this one i'm agaisnt.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm

CragOrion wrote:Wanted posters
Wanted posters get bashed or stolen almost as soon as they're put up unless you attach them to a permanent message board as a note.

I'm against banishments being shown without being DM supplied. If a DM decides to brand someone for an event, so be it, but the average johnnypickpocket need not have a mark that magically exists only as long as he's being kept off the streets of cordor.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

There has always been an issue within this community when it comes to "winning". Similar to how the Triadists would make everyone walk through the Light that wanted to become a part of their organization, factions and individuals that want to maintain their own personal dreams for their character's goals might use any measure to ensure they are not subverted.

This affects "good" aligned characters. This affects "evil" aligned characters. Hell, the drow community has done this frequently without prejudice. It's boring. It's old. You can't control roleplay in a persistent world. Allowing others to influence the direction of the outcome is what multiplayer is all about.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Also keep in mind you don't actually have to do anything for a settlement banishment. If the leadership is just corrupt, you can get evicted/banished just for undercutting other merchants, or because they don't like how you look, or because you violated a law they won't quote or define or cite or show you.

So would rather not get a scarlet letter over those kinds of things.
\

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for this. Just saying it has the one advantage. I think the current mechanics are working well enough. The benefit isn't great enough to justify the effort of coding a solution. Further, I think something like this could be easily and badly abused.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm

I don't think it would be too hard to add an NPC to settlements that asks for a large sum of gold and then a name, and will return a binary y/n if the name is an outcast.

Call him the 'Housing Ministry Representative' or something.
\