Drop Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RedGiant

Drop Feedback

Post by RedGiant » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:41 am

While I generally like the current loot changes, some of it seems to be killing the consumable economy. I now regularly find high end scrolls, even of the ninth circle. Heck we even put in scroll cases to store them all!

As a player who has played a PC scribe merchant making a tidy profit for a long time, my sales in scrolls are literally now zero.

Potions were already somewhat more liberally dispersed by NPCs, and additions such as the Tinkers expanded this in limited fashion, but certain markets of potions are now entirely dead as well.

I recall we took out several potions and scrolls options provided by NPCs in the past, specifically to reemphasize the PC economy.

Is the current course entirely wise? Do we need to dial consumable drops back some?
Last edited by RedGiant on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Drop Feedback

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 am

I strongly disagree. Having adventured in a few places, I've -never- seen a high level scroll. It may be certain dungeons, but even then, they're not common drops. I also tend to find the same scroll over and over again, and typically not the ones that people would be interested in buying.

So for my scroll maker, this isn't making a noticeable dent (if any) on her scroll sales.

Maybe it's just my luck though, they're nice loot, but they're not ruining any economies in my opinion.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:52 am

I should clarify, the scrolls aren't just drops on monsters, but now found liberally in bookcases, etc.

I'm even finding scrolls which should be PC only IMO, such as elemental swarm.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 am

For sure noticed an uptick in higher level scrolls and scrolls in general, especially from bookcases. I find Timestop, elemental Swarm, Mord, Meteor Swarm.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 pm

TimeAdept wrote:For sure noticed an uptick in higher level scrolls and scrolls in general, especially from bookcases. I find Timestop, elemental Swarm, Mord, Meteor Swarm.
Ditto. In fairly low level grounds as well! I've just sold them at 350 to the scrolly merchant, because I can't be arsed to packrat everything, but I haven't noticed an increase of scrolls sold in the player markets either, unless they're indeed so common that people who need scrolls are able to sustain their own scroll needs without the friendly neighbourhood wizard.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:33 pm

I think you're being a little melodramatic.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Ork wrote:I think you're being a little melodramatic.

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 pm

I have noticed a very very low rate of stream books (like fire, air, demon, etc.) dropping from shelves in favour of these new scrolls.

While the scrolls are nice and I don't mind them, these books are definitely necessary for any conjuring mage or cleric, and fiend-summoning blackguards also need one or two. But they seem to have been overtaken by the scrolls.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm

These scrolls players often need in vast numbers which cannot provide occasional random find in a library.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanatosis wrote:I have noticed a very very low rate of stream books (like fire, air, demon, etc.) dropping from shelves in favour of these new scrolls.

While the scrolls are nice and I don't mind them, these books are definitely necessary for any conjuring mage or cleric, and fiend-summoning blackguards also need one or two. But they seem to have been overtaken by the scrolls.

They get increase in value then, for selling? Not bad :D

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 pm

We have made some adjustments to the drops for scrolls. Can I ask what server you are having the higher chance of finding these scrolls? Or does it seem to be even between the two.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:41 pm

flower wrote:They get increase in value then, for selling? Not bad :D
It seems bad to me. I have only seen a single stream book so far, and I've done far more shelf-looting than usual.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

I'll review the frequencies of the drops of both scrolls / summoning books and confer with Irongron over what we should adjust once more. I do believe I have a quick fix for it.

Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

DM Spyre wrote:We have made some adjustments to the drops for scrolls. Can I ask what server you are having the higher chance of finding these scrolls? Or does it seem to be even between the two.
The last time I went to the duergar fortress and ransacked the library there I ended up with a lot of high-tier scrolls from it.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Nitro wrote: The last time I went to the duergar fortress and ransacked the library there I ended up with a lot of high-tier scrolls from it.
I noticed that more scrolls and less books are appearing on the shelves there.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 am

DM Spyre wrote:We have made some adjustments to the drops for scrolls. Can I ask what server you are having the higher chance of finding these scrolls? Or does it seem to be even between the two.
I can't speak for Surface, but all my recent adventuring has been on City and Planes. They don't seem to be restricted to high-level areas either. While I really wouldn't mind seeing the occasional high level scroll as chest loot in an appropriate level dungeon, this change to me seems to hit the PC economy particularly hard. It also seems to encourage several second and third order effects which seem undesirable, including everything from grinding wizard spell books to completion (vs. rp or trade) to further super-powering UMD dips (without any real cost).
Last edited by RedGiant on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:52 am

I’ll be tweaking the drop frequencies further. I’m playing with a limited size database to adjust drops in just one specific type of container. I’ll do a complete reshuffle when I can. My plate is a bit busy today as you can imagine.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Nitro wrote: The last time I went to the duergar fortress and ransacked the library there I ended up with a lot of high-tier scrolls from it.
I noticed that more scrolls and less books are appearing on the shelves there.
A few days ago I went there. I found something like 28+ scrolls(with enough variety to fill an entire inventory page almost) 2 spell books(ptarian cachetisis and a magitech manual) and 1 language book(abyssal).

If that feedback helps, great.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 am

I've adjusted the drops (literature treasure drops only):
  • Scrolls drop from a range of cantrip to "Circle" 5.
  • Circles 6,7,8 and 9 do not drop - so that scribe scroll is still useful.
  • Frequencies for Circles 4 - 5 are the lowest, and the lower circles with higher frequencies.
  • Book frequencies adjusted to be higher / in line with lower spell circle spells.
  • Future adjustments to drop frequencies will be made if need be (likely addition of more books as I have wiggle room.)

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks for this!

While probably unpopular in some quarters, I think this is best not only for the economy but for balance (I.e. high-end magical consumables probably ought to have an associated cost).

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 am

I'm still getting very few books -- only seen one more book since Spyre adjusted the rates, though I've slowed down on my looting just a touch.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I still haven’t increased the frequencies to where I want them for boos, the rate I posted would be the rate after I did the work. Currently in a 76 hour work week - so likely Friday I can finish.

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 am

DM Spyre wrote:I still haven’t increased the frequencies to where I want them for boos, the rate I posted would be the rate after I did the work. Currently in a 76 hour work week - so likely Friday I can finish.
Ok, update: been looting a lot again. Book droprate is much better; I've seen plenty of books (though not the one I'd like to drop, of course!) and no scrolls over 5th level.

However, there seems to be a strange bug with respawning. A lot of the times shelves are bare, or even sometimes "moved around" like someone was fiddling with them. I don't think the shelves are coming back as often as they should be? Everything else in the area is always as it usually is, including monster spawns and other things like that.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 am

Been to bloodmoon 4x, even when no ones been there for a bit, no books and only 2 scrolls each time.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am

RedGiant wrote:Thanks for this!

While probably unpopular in some quarters, I think this is best not only for the economy but for balance (I.e. high-end magical consumables probably ought to have an associated cost).

You mean from 2 000 to 4500 per 9th circle scroll from a PC shop? 8-) :lol: