But Why?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Scurvy Cur

But Why?

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am

- Made the Sibayad Quest Knight less murderous to monster races.
RIP Quest Knight buddy. You were the best.

Dr. B

Re: But Why?

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

My answer to this question is that the tone and culture of a location should, at least to an extent, be determined by the players. Drow and Orogs passing through Cordor would be an issue, especially since it would shape the conceptions that new players have about the tone of the server, and because, given the city's history, it would make no sense for the NPC guards to tolerate them. Sibbayad, however, is a bit more morally ambiguous, being both somewhat untamed and something of a haven for those who live at the fringes of civilization, and therefore attracting people who are both good-aligned as well as those who associate more shamelessly with denizens of the Underdark. This allows for conflict, which is good, and given that the de facto situation in Sibbayad is to cycle between these competing extremes, and that this de facto situation has been created organically by the activities of the playerbase, it seems inappropriate to mechanically enforce the exclusion of monster races, or at least certain monster races.

On top of this, the surfacer-Underdarker RP that happens there (and is currently happening there) has generally been good--unless you want to argue that Underdarkers interacting with surfacers on the surface is inherently bad RP just because it is, which, as far as arguments go, is question-begging and lazy.

You could keep it so that Ranulf automatically attacks certain PCs, but since he goes down pretty easily at the hands of higher-level characters, this would get tedious and unrealistic. If you wanted to compensate for that by making all the NPC guards attack monster races, this would be unmerited for the reasons stated above.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 am

I too was amusing by the knight, and I did hesitate before changing this. The simple truth though is that this was always an overslight, and I never intended him to have the kill script.

This isn't because monster races should be welcomed in Sibayad, but rather because he is extremely strong, and descended on the PCs without warning. It didn't stop PCs entering Sibayad of course, just ensured they had to take another route.

If I do decide to mechanically exclude monster there (rather than relying on their RP guidelines) then I'd do it another way.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 am

I'm gonna miss killing him when he screams at me and charges, RIP Ranulf
Plays as the monster in your closet

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

Very glad for the change personally. Having 60+ bluff and in disguise, only to be charged and outed by some BS NPC mechanics was uber lame.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 am

Beneidalus wrote:Very glad for the change personally. Having 60+ bluff and in disguise, only to be charged and outed by some BS NPC mechanics was uber lame.
Detect evil has no bounds.
:)

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm

But a paladin's code does.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

The code demands all evil be slain.
:)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm

You can run away from him.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:You can run away from him.
You can run on for a long time, sooner or later gonna cut you down.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 am

As a devoted paladin player, I have to say, simply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5VsqVOu5s

Let My Ranulf Go