Survival

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Xerah

Re: Survival

Post by Xerah » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I don't know. Thazar rarely drinks to avoid being called an alcoholic, like so many island mages. He does fine, I wouldn't say people are "forced" into being sleep deprived alcoholics, it's an ic choice exclusively.
I'm not sure why, but I've never had to resort to heavy drinking to be able to rest as needed. I try to keep my rest at -9 to 25% though, maybe that's why.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I don't know. Thazar rarely drinks to avoid being called an alcoholic, like so many island mages. He does fine, I wouldn't say people are "forced" into being sleep deprived alcoholics, it's an ic choice exclusively.
That depends on how much adventuring you want to do. If I want to sit down and have an 8 hour adventuring session across a multitude of dungeons and areas, I can do it just fine on a non-caster, but I'll end up capped out over 50% sleep pretty quickly as a caster, unless I play it real slow with the spells of course, but that's boring as bricks because then I'm just tagging along doing nothing, contributing nothing to the party except long-duration buffs.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

I do a lot of long warding with summons and very little one use casting, so I'm able to make many dungeon laps or a four boss run without needing to rest really.

If you memorize a ton of haste, extended haste, mass haste, and extended mass haste, you have hours of buffs, not to mention a ton of utility warding like imp invis and a few 'help me' buttons like acid sheath or time stop. Carry scrolls too as some of your spells (time stop) don't need to be memorized to get their full use.

You just need to accept ic that you're preparing for a long hall and thus no max igms and fireballs.
\

Intrepid42
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Intrepid42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 am

The best way of dealing with the alcoholic caster conundrum is to play a Dwarf, naturally.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 am

Well casters having to go with heavy drinking or have to be real sure when to use spells is kind of a balancing tool for me.

You either receive a "RP penalty" making your character be an alcoholic or the Mechanical Penalty of having to know the best of best of times to cast stuff,most people just prefer the first "penalty" :lol:
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:40 pm

The rest bar is still more of a nuisance than anything - I've never had it (caster or not) provide any sort of immersion at all. As a Caster you have to break from immersion by either being an alcoholic or be sleep deprived (as pointed out above) - where as a non-caster its just another annoying bar to deal with. The infinite spellcasting helps with that for wizards/sorcs, though druids/clerics don't get nice bonuses like that!

The main problem is that its effectively a rest timer that you get some control over. Having played with rest timers before (60 seconds per level, which was rather harsh), I'd still rather just have a rest timer than a rest %bar. Sure, you're not able to rest several times in a short timeframe, but you're not forced to risk penalties in order to be able to avoid penalties (that is, risk str/dex/con debuff in order to avoid being without spells).

Immersion wise? I've had meetings/discussions last for 2-3RL hours, which technically is 20-30 hours IG (which is mostly ignored, otherwise people say only a few sentences an hour which'd be odd) - why is a character ready to pass out, starved, dehydrated and practically collapsing on the floor? Solution? Chug 30L of coffee. Go dungeon crawling? Rest when you're fighting/need more spells/just need a heal - what happens? You come back from a dungeon crawl as rested as when you left, or in a caster's case /more/ rested.

Always been quite odd that while working hard/fighting for hours you could be 'more rested' because you sat down and took a breather, than a meeting for the same amount of time where it didn't make sense to take a short breather!

Why not make it 5 minutes + 30 seconds/level? At level 3, that is 6.5 minutes (useful for easier leveling), at level 30 that is 20 minutes. Could even make it harsher at 5 minutes + 60 seconds/level, so 8 minutes at level 3, 35 minutes at level 30.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

What i said aside i do feel like no one gets rest above 50% not even non casters,so maybe make the being able to rest anywhere below 65%(currently it's below 50%) and making people get bonuses above 75% such as a couple more hitpoints and stuff like that,not too OP but helpful.

Bonuses for casters could be one more casting per spell prepared(so you have one haste?Now you have two prepared)up to the 4th or 5th level you have*,that way casters dont need to be alcoholics or sleep deprived(unless it's a part of their character), being rested actually is better

*(or just one more casting of all levels up to 4th or 5th if this is too OP for example:you have the right to four 4th level spells,being above 75% rest makes so you can cast any of the spells you already used that "day" one more time,only once per level)

EDIT:While the idea above makes sense i feel like that time would just get in front of lower levels since 20-35 min between rest for level 30's is just right for when their hour/level buffs go out. But 6.5-8 min would be a pain for level 3's that use hour/level buffs for example
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:EDIT:While the idea above makes sense i feel like that time would just get in front of lower levels since 20-35 min between rest for level 30's is just right for when their hour/level buffs go out. But 6.5-8 min would be a pain for level 3's that use hour/level buffs for example
It was in use on my last server - wasn't actually much of a bother at low levels! Was more of an issue at high levels if you forgot a spell, or what have you. Ultimately though at low levels you're still limited by your rest meter, so you effectively get more rests in the same timeframe.

Keep in mind that (at least as far as I have observed) you go down approximately 2% rest/hour - and you go up 15-20% per rest? This means that you effectively have a 'rest timer' of 10 IG hours = 60 minutes. Of course, alcohol offsets this, and you can go back to town and RP until your rest drops to adventuring levels - but that is the problem isn't it?

In other words if you feel like adventuring as a low level spellcaster for 3 RL hours, you'll get 22 rests at level 3, versus if you leave at -10% rest you'll get ~8 (-10% starting point, 60% lost over 3 hours, 15-20% per rest up to around 40% and maybe an extra). The rest system, minus alcohol, is a fixed ~8 per 3 hour period, compared to 22 going down to around 6 at max level.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:What i said aside i do feel like no one gets rest above 50% not even non casters,so maybe make the being able to rest anywhere below 65%(currently it's below 50%) and making people get bonuses above 75% such as a couple more hitpoints and stuff like that,not too OP but helpful.
As someone playing a non-caster, I get my rest meter up to 100% whenever possible, simply so I don't have to bother with the meter. I know I'm probably an exception, rather than the rule. I feel like one of the better ways to deal with the meters would be to simply disable them entirely inside civilized areas.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Xuuldar

Post by Xuuldar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Its one of that aspects that I just don't see a better solution for. Sure it can be a pain, sure it can be a little awkward to have to drink all the time or plop down and rest in the middle of a conversation but there are a lot of mechanics that controlled by rest so any replacement/alteration of the system will have wide reaching impact. I think the addition of the energy drinks was great and helps the RP front. As a caster the worst time is the lower levels, once you get a few levels under your belt and get into a rhythm, it's not so bad. My casters rarely drink any alcohol after hitting the teens but it it nice to have the option there for the "oh crap I mem'd the wrong spell" type moments.
I feel like one of the better ways to deal with the meters would be to simply disable them entirely inside civilized areas
It's disabled in inns and I think it would be good to disable it inside homes/temples so those clandestine meetings and hour+ RP sessions would be free of having to deal with rest, but I think it would be bad around town and other common areas. The fact that it ticks down in town to me is a good thing as a lot of times, mostly at the lower levels with short buffs, I find I have to spend time waiting around in town for my rest to come down which ends up leading to RP. If rest was disabled completely in town it would mean that instead of spending time RPing in town I would have to stand outside of town where there is no RP waiting for test to fall.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I'd rather just have a way to disable the meters entirely while RPing, turn them back on when not. Simple solution, entirely in the player's hands. Would let you turn it off while in 12 hour meetings, turn it on when you actually want to rest again.

Suppose it could be abused if a caster brought their rest to like -10%, then turned it off and had the ability to rest an extra time on a dungeon crawl, but it'd be a nice quality of life for everyone else.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 am

I have always seen the State system with distaste, and a lot of wasted potential.

If there was a way to except my characters from it, I'd take it. ICly or OOCly.
If others enjoy it, good for them, but it's never added anything but a nuisance to my game and unless it's reworked to be necessary in the circumstances that it may be, I don't want it to have anything to do with me.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!