-pray

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Beneidalus

-pray

Post by Beneidalus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Change has made, what is already difficult, even more so.

You follow two PC's into their mansion, spy on their conversation, pitting into cover lest true sight reveal, oh but what's this? Yeah, by the way you're dying of hunger, thirst, and exhaustion.

GG m8

Nothing but to do now except suffer, because leaving isn't an option without getting spotted, and neither is eating/drinking/resting, because they all break stealth.

If only one could still use -pray to increase those values, eh.

Edit: To tag more onto this, I've had times where this sort of situation (pre-change) literally went on for hours. Some folks chill and plot in their assumed privacy for long lengths of time, and once again, if you're there in stealth trying to spy on them, exiting stealth is a very terrible idea. Having -pray was the only way this was possible.

Cortex

Re: -pray

Post by Cortex » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Just keep your meters high? Not like -pray was subtle with the bless VFX, alerting anyone who's not blind that something's up.
:)

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Everyone I've played within proximity of over the past few years must be blind then, because as far as I have been able to tell, they don't see the effect. Weird.

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:45 pm

One of the first things a spy should consider when setting out for a mission is being prepared, like having a full stomach, being hydrated, and being able to stay conscious for at least a few hours.

Sounds like poor planning if there's some sneak thirsting and starving to death in the shadows, that or it's the amazing story of the 6 WIS rogue.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:57 pm

When conversations can go on for "2 REAL LIFE" hours and you CANNOT get out, I don't care how well fed, watered and rested you are...you WILL need to at some point.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Risk vs reward
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:Risk vs reward
^ This. When it gets to the point that the spy at risk of starving, it's time to decide whether the information being gathered is worth the hours invested and the potential for exposure.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Could make houses behave like taverns, where meters don't go down.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:When conversations can go on for "2 REAL LIFE" hours and you CANNOT get out, I don't care how well fed, watered and rested you are...you WILL need to at some point.
The values go down at what, 2.5% per tick? One tick is 6 minutes so you'd lose 25% of all values over 10 ticks, AKA 1 RL hr. That means that if you stock up to 100% food/water/rest you're well set for 8 RL hours before your character dies, and 4 RL hours before you start taking penalties from low values.

That sounds like a bit of a non-issue really, stock up before going spying and you'll be all set.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Actually I have seen water and such drain at 4.0% and sometimes higher depending where you are, so it can be more issue.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:Actually I have seen water and such drain at 4.0% and sometimes higher depending where you are, so it can be more issue.
The areas where water drain is higher is in adventure areas like the desert or during storms. Something which will never have any effect on you if you are locked in a quarter. And even if you have a hypothetical sandstorm quarter, you'd still have 5+ RL hours before going down if you fed/drank/slept to 100% beforehand.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Thats of course assuming you can guarantee and manipulate how soon the targets are gonna meet and go into a secured area, on top of the fact that its not just sheer dumb luck you spot them going into a place to have a "private" talk.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 pm

I do not like the status system and I hurl insults it's way.

Piety and rest is fine for the most part since they both have an actual purpose, but water and food is extremely vexing and should be booted out. Either completely remove those two or simply increase the food/water gain by 100%, so that drinking from wells will always give you 100%, from bottles of water 50%, food ration would grant 50% etc. I know its a roleplay server and everything but this feature compels players to pause whatever roleplay they want to do in order to do the roleplay they don't want to do.

Improv

Post by Improv » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:I do not like the status system and I hurl insults it's way.

Piety and rest is fine for the most part since they both have an actual purpose, but water and food is extremely vexing and should be booted out. Either completely remove those two or simply increase the food/water gain by 100%, so that drinking from wells will always give you 100%, from bottles of water 50%, food ration would grant 50% etc. I know its a roleplay server and everything but this feature compels players to pause whatever roleplay they want to do in order to do the roleplay they don't want to do.
I don't feel QUITE as strongly but.. Here's a question and I'm not near the game to test. I am under the impression piety and rest are constant when you go across servers, but it seems like food and water are not? It does seems like my characters will get 100%, transition then be starving and dying of thirst again, which is annoying.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

They are constant as they are saved to the character hide.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 am

I almost exclusively play sneaky types, in through the years, it most often happens the way DarkDreamer has described. Just a random occurrence where you have to act in the moment, or you miss the opportunity. One does not *plan* to spy on people. It just happens and you have to act when it does. Could one try at ALL times to have high meters? Sure, but there's still going to be times where one of those happenstances occur, and you're low on value, but have to act anyways and suffer through it.

Previously this wasn't an issue, and it makes stealthy types (which are already at extreme disadvantage given how Stealth mechanics work and can easily be countered) more difficult. Tis all I'm expressing here.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 am

It does seems like my characters will get 100%, transition then be starving and dying of thirst again, which is annoying.
The % values are saved to the character hide. The STR/DEX/CON penalties work the same as any buff does--if you cast a STR buff on Surface, then transition to C&P, your STR buff is gone. If you transition back to surface, your STR buff is back.

If you have a STR/DEX/CON penalty on Surface from being hungry or thirsty, and then transition to C&P, your STR/DEX/CON penalties will be gone until the next IG hour ticks past, which will add a C&P version of the debuff. If you then drink and eat on C&P, it will remove your C&P version of the debuff. When you transition back to Surface, the penalty you had on Surface will still be there, until the next IG hour ticks past, which will remove them since you're not actually hungry/thirsty anymore.

Basically the solution to your problem is just not to transition with those penalties active, if you can avoid it. Otherwise, the absolute worst-case scenario is that you have 6 minutes of those penalties.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 pm

The rest meter raise is/was more of an RP convenience.