Artefact Armor

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

GwaiLo

Artefact Armor

Post by GwaiLo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 pm

Hello,

I would like some feedback on my Artefact armor nerf. I had full plate with +4str +4uni save, and the useless +3 move silently. It was nerfed and it now +1str, +1 uni save, and the +3 move silent. This makes it pretty much worse than anything you can craft or enchant, as it has no armor bonus. Does this seem like too much of a nerf?

Thank you!

Baron Saturday

Re: Artefact Armor

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:07 am

Honestly? No. That brings it in line with what can be made in the basin. In fact, that skills aren't capped at +2 is pretty nice. Shame that it's not useful to you any more - time to turn it in for rune components, sounds like!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 am

Looks like intended behavior to me. That plate's ridiculous.

Lost Crossroads

Post by Lost Crossroads » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:56 am

GwaiLo wrote:Hello,

I would like some feedback on my Artefact armor nerf. I had full plate with +4str +4uni save, and the useless +3 move silently. It was nerfed and it now +1str, +1 uni save, and the +3 move silent. This makes it pretty much worse than anything you can craft or enchant, as it has no armor bonus. Does this seem like too much of a nerf?

Thank you!
Yes. It is in fact a huge nerf, and inappropriate to the effort that must have gone into obtaining it. People are too afraid to speak up, since there are downsides to disagreeing with it, if you catch my drift.

Remembering you as the player of Smoke, you have my utmost respect. I'm so sorry for your loss, dude.

GwaiLo

Post by GwaiLo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 am

Craftable armor like Northman's armor seems much better.

Armor Bonus: +4
Damage Immunity: 10% Slashing
Enhancement Bonus: Constitution +1
Increased Saving Throw: Fortitude +1
Skill Bonus: Discipline +3

That's a total of 11 ac, with 4 really useful bonuses. Where as my armor now is 8ac, with two bonuses.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 am

Yeah, but you'll notice that stats and saves are capped at +1 there as well. So yes, your artefact got hit hard, but leaving the caps higher would leave people whose artefacts had, say, +4 Str/uni/AC with a big advantage.

Basically there was no way to retain the usefulness of your armor without doing a custom alteration to it or even adding properties, rather than a script that brings all the variables down to predefined values. Sorry.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Miskol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:12 am

Lowering the stats to +2 or +3 wouldn't have made most artefacts more powerful than what could already be crafted. A good chunk of magical items someone could find from opening any chest in the game is almost strictly better than what an artefact offers now. I feel this kind of nerf is entirely unneeded and unwarranted.

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:07 am

Artifact nerfs are a painful but necessary step for the well being of the server.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 am

While i am not fan how it was done, it was done, and all further discussions over it are rather pointless.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 am

This is definitely too much IMO and its also definitely worse than craftable armor. While the nerf may be necessary for server balance, the numbers could have been crunched in a way more in line with other loot currently available. Your current artefact could be made in a basin by a lvl 3 with a wealth gift or even by someone who just farmed bows from the sewer rats for a few hours.

As with Lost Crossroads, sorry dude. It sucks.
Last edited by RedGiant on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:41 am

GwaiLo wrote:Craftable armor like Northman's armor seems much better.
Then like, make some.
You know that +4 ac, +4 unisave armor is too much. I know you do. We all know this. Pretending it's not too much because you happened to grab it out of a chest doesn't help anything.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:06 am

I would of like to see it just get cut in half, so would of seemed fair to me that +4 AC. +4 Uni dropped tp +2 AC and +2 Uni. Still a nice piece to have but not so overpowered.
Last edited by Sab1 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:07 am

Even though it's been nerfed, you still get bonuses from it that no one else gets. You can turn it into something else that's great. Woo hoo! Recycling.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:33 am

Lost Crossroads wrote: Yes. It is in fact a huge nerf, and inappropriate to the effort that must have gone into obtaining it. People are too afraid to speak up, since there are downsides to disagreeing with it, if you catch my drift.
There's no downside to disagreeing with it, although there probably are downsides to falsely implying that people are being targeted for voicing their opinion on the matter (namely that the people you're casting aspersions at are likely to have an avoidant reaction to you in the future when they recognize your name).

About the only part of your statement that is observably, objectively true is that his item got a huge nerf. They could have gone on the most epic two-month-grindfest of their lives- they could have got it the very first day artifacts went in on their very first epic grind-fest with no deaths in twenty minutes.

You don't know. Neither do I. And that's okay! Because that's completely irrelevant to just how broken that (and many other artefacts) were and wound up being for attempts to balance the server. Let us assume for a moment that your premise is true and that they spent a lot of effort and repeated dungeon runs to get that item.

Now, let's say an enchanter spends the same amount of time attempting to make a 5% piece in the basin. I can anecdotally use myself here, since Ast made some 5% gear in exchange for the Weatherstone some time back, and the project took me about 2.5 months and several hundred thousand gold (and thousands of XP lost to failed attempts).

The final product: +1 Stat, +1 Stat, +1 Universal Saves, +2 Skill, +2 Skill, +2 Skill, +2 Skill.

Unless you're arguing that every enchanter that's ever spent months on a single item should also be able to make +4 stat +4 uni items, the amount of effort involved is not a related point.

The point is that +4 stat +4 uni items shouldn't exist inside Arelith's balance structure, and that's why artefacts got the artefaxe. (Badum-tsh. :lol: )

:arrow: @Gwailo- it sucks that you lost that item, but try to think of it as cool instead that you got to use such a boss item in the first place.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 am

The long stream of compassionless follow-ups here misses the point. Should the +4s perhaps be nerfed for overall game balance? Devs say yes. Should they all go to +1s? This point is debatable. We are debating it. A good number of players think this is too far. I am one of them. There is also a current bug to the script, unless the Devs hate dwarves.

But more importantly, even veiled threats of targeting players for avoidance based on forum opinions kind of crosses a "not cool" line IMO.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:05 am

Is it a lack of compassion to disagree with you? I think this nerf is fine. 4 STR was too much, and 1 STR brings it in line with other stuff that's available. GwaiLo pointed out that the armour available now is much better, so looks like there's no downside in upgrading to what is now available.

You get all those bonuses, and a free ingredient for making the already better armour much better. :)

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.