Daily Quests Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kreindis

Daily Quests Feedback

Post by Kreindis » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:31 am

In short: I think this is one of the greatest additions to Arelith ever. Maybe it's because I'm playing a mercenary/adventuring character now too but I love the daily quests.

Now for more detailed stuff.

The public quests are a great source of Adventure Exp for people that don't like to grind but still really enjoy a good dungeon crawl. It outright just makes it easier foor people to get a massive pool of Adventure Exp then not have to worry about it again for probably the rest of the day assuming a quest that rewards 3000 exp. This means you can spend more time on socializing or alternatively just get to a higher level faster if that's part of your RP goal.

I think the real benefit however are the RP possibilities with the system. It encourages people to group up or even forgo rewards because the contract reward itself is pretty hefty.

I think of the whole system as more of an RP suggestion board than anything else. It gives people very clear goals and rewards them.

I also believe that it does streamline some RP but in a very good way. This is the most basic example and might be more of my problem than anything else but previously you had "I'm bored" "Me too" "Let's go kill orcs!" "Okay". Now it's "Got any contract left?" "I have one for the orcs" "Okay".

Ultimately the result is the same but I feel like the IC reasons for going out to kill orcs are more believable now even from a very basic level.

Kill registration seems to work fine now although I never had a summon strike a killing blow so I don't know how that is.

All in all, I really like the system. Like if anything I kind of wish the lower level dungeons were more difficult to further encourage grouping up now. But that has nothing to do with the system.
Former Characters: Madeline Thorne, Falloren Ciel (FL), Sorina Lokevir, Ceinwen Randallar.

WanderingPoet

Re: Daily Quests Feedback

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:42 pm

One thing I think would be useful is an indicator of relative difficulty. I have a low level character I've been trying to the quests with and I had no issues with 4/5 quests I've done so far - kill some sewer monsters and some scouting. Problem happened when I went after the Sewer Rats which I'd never fought before and suddenly went from easily killing enemies to having to flee to survive in 2 rounds.

The difficulty of one quest vs the other was staggeringly different and without knowing the area (never fought the sewer rats on any character), I wasn't aware that one quest was going to be out of my solo range (no matter I was grouped for the Sewer Rats and we both had to flee).

For new players however discovering the quests it'd be useful to indicate the relative level of difficulty (and reward) so that characters aren't suddenly stomped by getting in over their heads.

Also if it hasn't already, it'd be nice to have a the Cordor Speedy Runner Quest bring you to the Quest giver so new players can find him.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Can confirm that the Speedy quest does not introduce players to the quest NPC. Drop that in the Suggestion box?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm

The quests do scale with level. What my char has been doing is scouting them first to see how hard the enemy fights. Then go back to cordor and seek out a party of the size needed.

Mind you that doesn't always work. When I first got the orc quest I thought I could solo it..... Until I got to the boss.

A good gauge would be the reward you get. Bloodmoons pays out 3k gold. From that you can ascertain that to be a difficult task for a lowbie alone.

These quests really help me to talk with other chars ic'ly for parties.

Bravo Zulu to whoever has done the hard work on these.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Er... Daily quests?? Where is this and why wasn't I told earlier?

I think I just ran across this, in the Nomad? Is there an elf that does this as well? Because the only reason my elf went into the Nomad was following another elf and even then he would not be talking to some random human.

Are PC's like mine just out of luck on the daily quests and that sweet xp?
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

Kreindis

Post by Kreindis » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

mazeofthorns wrote:Er... Daily quests?? Where is this and why wasn't I told earlier?

I think I just ran across this, in the Nomad? Is there an elf that does this as well? Because the only reason my elf went into the Nomad was following another elf and even then he would not be talking to some random human.

If we're talking about Cael'ean here, I think you probably outlevel the current batch of quests anyway. I couldn't get any quests on Sorina (21). The last I read on the announcements it was still being tested for the level 1 to 10 range.

There's one in Cordor and Anundor currently.

Maybe we'll get other race agents as more quests are added? It would make sense as far as the leveling progression goes anyway.
Former Characters: Madeline Thorne, Falloren Ciel (FL), Sorina Lokevir, Ceinwen Randallar.

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:15 pm

mazeofthorns wrote:Er... Daily quests?? Where is this and why wasn't I told earlier?

don't worry, there's another one in andunor.

Real talk though you can just say you heard there was a guy paying fat stacks of cash to adventurers and now you have a reason to talk to him.

Rogaku

Post by Rogaku » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:18 pm

So far I'm liking the systme, I just wish it'd been around earlier myself!
Major Characters:
Lacroix Sudentan (Deceased) , Rory Tate (Retired), Harcourt Fentyon: (Deceased) , Rachielle Du Vernais (Deceased) . Aloysious Valoheim (Retired), Troius Meridio (Deceased), Earnhardt Creid (Deceased)

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:24 pm

I also abandoned my character for doing daily quests. Daily quests are super awesome. Specially the IC excuse it gives a character to go slay monsters as it makes it easier to influence people to join.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Improv

Post by Improv » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Higher level quests that require maybe three people to complete could be nice. Something I really dislike about Arelith is how difficult it is to get the traditional D&D experience of a mismatched party going on a quest together (at least past the first few levels of running about beginner areas) since most people seem to want to stick to their own race or faction.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 pm

The quests are great! But as far as I understand the kills only register if you land the killing blow, I think the bosses should be removed from the quests, (Or gave them drop an item instead) since they discourage partying up.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Kills by party members count towards your quest goals.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Ah, it makes sense. Someone bumped into me while I was fighting a boss and he got the blow before we partied up. Is it possible to change it to vicinity instead of party?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 pm

afreshstart wrote:Ah, it makes sense. Someone bumped into me while I was fighting a boss and he got the blow before we partied up. Is it possible to change it to vicinity instead of party?
It is possible, but I'd rather keep it to within the party to discourage the practice of stealthing after adventuring groups and counting their quest accomplishments as your own.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.