too many raw gems

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

too many raw gems

Post by nobs3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:51 pm

There are far too many raw garnets, topaz, sapphires, and fire opals around - on loot.
If you care to pick them up you soon will have piles of them.
They are sold in stacks for close to nothing in shops.

Like it is now there is no reeason to search for those gems in special places.

So maybe make them more rare in or take them out of the loot matrix?
Last edited by nobs3 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Hazard89

Re: too many raw gems

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Since the new loot thing has been introduced (all these raw gems and other stuff) I've been pretty surprised by how common rare gems have become. Even a low level can easily find a small pile of fire opals after an adventure. Those used to be dragon quality loot, now they're Bramble Bugbear quality loot.

I think the occurrence of rare gems could be turned down. They've sort of become worthless. There's just so many! I would totally support making them rarer in the loot matrix, or removing them from 'normal' mobs and having them just drop from bosses/dragons/scary stuff.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Gnomes love gems ... and they can always be cut and sold in the gem scales. Many really rare gems are still hard to come across: Ruby, emerald and diamond.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Saphires and Topaz were never super rare to start with. Heck there are topaz outside the grove. The really rare ones emeralds and rubies are still hard to find.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 am

Cuchilla wrote:Gnomes love gems ... and they can always be cut and sold in the gem scales. Many really rare gems are still hard to come across: Ruby, emerald and diamond.
Sab1 wrote:Saphires and Topaz were never super rare to start with. Heck there are topaz outside the grove. The really rare ones emeralds and rubies are still hard to find.
No, I think they're too easily found. Including the 'rare' gems you've listed. The only rare gems are star sapphires and beljuril gems and the like, now.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 am

If people have so many rubies, emeralds and diamonds they're just falling out of their pockets you can kindly direct them to my characters who will be HAPPY to pay a fair price for them.

:mrgreen:

As for selling them: Try checking places other than the normal NPC merchants.
Last edited by TimeAdept on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 am

Raw Gems need to be cut or they're more or less worthless. It gives Art Crafting people a way to make some money, so you could sell them on to those folks.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:01 am

TimeAdept wrote:If people have so many rubies, emeralds and diamonds they're just falling out of their pockets you can kindly direct them to my characters who will be HAPPY to pay a fair price for them.

:mrgreen:

As for selling them: Try checking places other than the normal NPC merchants.
This. Please. :)

I have heaps of topaz and sapphires but anything beyond sapphire (ruby, diamond and especially emerald) are still exceedingly rare.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:15 am

Just want to say: garnets, topaz, and even sapphire should not be all to rare. But there should still be a reason to go at a low level dungeon to mine them. (sapphires and opals at mid-level dungeons)

As it is now they can be found in masses in normal loot. So mining them is not needed anymore. (There is no reason to send out low level characters to search for those gems...)

In Andunor there are stacks of 99 garnets sold for 300 gold...

My character tries to sell garnets, topaz, sapphire, and fire opals in his shop and outside the shop to players. The prices just did went so far down.

And I wonder how many characters have mining bags full of middle-raw gems.

(Rubies, diamonds, and emeralds work well)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:44 am

I will say sapphire and fire opal are definitely the lost middle child of gems. All the other cheap stuff is easy to cut and has a good time to gp ration or directly is used in temp essences or the dysts are useful. All the much higher gems have direct uses in gem and dust form for essences, portal lenses, and high end niche crafting things. Fire Opal and Sapphire make less than desirable essences and their dusts don't do much useful either, so they just sort of get dumped off.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

nobs3 wrote: In Andunor there are stacks of 99 garnets sold for 300 gold...
Buy these, and put them directly in the gem scales. Each garnet is worth ~100-ish, so enjoy your 10000% profit margin
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Buy these, and put them directly in the gem scales. Each garnet is worth ~100-ish, so enjoy your 10000% profit margin
I think he meant uncut garnets.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Freyason wrote:
Durvayas wrote:
I think he meant uncut garnets.
If you can cut them, my post is still accurate.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 pm

I've never seen a diamond or emerald dropped. Ruby maybe once.

Fire Agates and Opals used to be super rare, but I'm actually glad they're easier to find now.

Sapphires were never that rare, in my opinion.

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 pm

My two cents in the matter would be to remove Raw Gemstones from the drops of creatures alltogether, forcing adventurers to travel to the specific location where the desired gemstone can be extracted.
Not only would it balance slightly the massive amount of low-teir gemstones that come into occuranse, (there is plenty of Greenstone deposits anyhow). It would also help to combat my extraordinary hoarding ability.
Currently my own character have one of the miningbags full of uncut gemstones, which I will never come around to cutting, as other things are more valuable to do with the craftingpoints.

ps. Playing a Strenght built Gnome with a Gemstone fetish did not help my anti-hoarding tendencies at all.

pss. Also taking out Gemstones of the miningbags are a pain in the buttocks.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Please don't remove raw gems from monsters, they are a massive source of income and being able to get gems and gm dust in the quantities required by full time merchants of consumables, like skleen, heal potions, mojo, attunements and essences.

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 pm

TimeAdept wrote:Please don't remove raw gems from monsters, they are a massive source of income and being able to get gems and gm dust in the quantities required by full time merchants of consumables, like skleen, heal potions, mojo, attunements and essences.
I would rather see this filled by accessable resourcespots for the desired Gemstones, then repeatedly grinding the Bramble Woods.
Also, by the use of the expanded warehouses, these Gemstones should be accessable too you, even if you don't spend alot of time outside the city walls. (If the warehouse is correctly opperational that is).

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:51 am

Things seem to be fine, you could say the same for 20 other items that drop in normal loot, if you don't want the gems leave them behind, just like irongut potions, various dusts etc etc.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:40 am

The reason the warehouse functions is because PCs sell the loot they find. IT's not being filled with the 3 greenstones you find from the deposit, I can guarantee that. It functions and is useable by PCs who don't often leave town specifically because the raw ores drop from monsters.

Grinding the Bramble Woods is more activity creating than grinding set spots to hit rocks. you'd need to add a lot more of them to make up for all raw gems being removed from loot.

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:45 pm

azrael_athing wrote:My two cents in the matter would be to remove Raw Gemstones from the drops of creatures alltogether, forcing adventurers to travel to the specific location where the desired gemstone can be extracted.
Not only would it balance slightly the massive amount of low-teir gemstones that come into occuranse, (there is plenty of Greenstone deposits anyhow). It would also help to combat my extraordinary hoarding ability.
Currently my own character have one of the miningbags full of uncut gemstones, which I will never come around to cutting, as other things are more valuable to do with the craftingpoints.

ps. Playing a Strenght built Gnome with a Gemstone fetish did not help my anti-hoarding tendencies at all.

Exactly.

But maybe only garnets, topaz, sapphires, and fire opals

And maybe increase the number of chunks you can get from deposits: the lower the value the more chunks. That way lowlevels can be send out mining e.g. greenstones for mages oder gems to make skleens...

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:Things seem to be fine, you could say the same for 20 other items that drop in normal loot, if you don't want the gems leave them behind, just like irongut potions, various dusts etc etc.
I would rather start to ballance the other 20 items too. E.g. mage irongut potions somewhat useable (longer duration?).

The point is that there are too many of those gems around so the market does not work anymore and there is no need to search or pay for gems. = less interaction

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 pm

I buy gems from Pc's all the time and basically can't get enough. Leads to tons of interaction.
\

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:27 am

This might be an unpopular opinion but I'll give it a shot.

I think the raw gems, and for the matter, most crafting components (most, not all) are in a perfect place and are rare/common enough for their status both for daily players, and players who got limited time to play. Some gems are supposed to be rare but in reality they arent that rare (fire opals, sapphires) because the devs decided that these particular rare gems should be more accessible for the casual players while other gems remain rare even for the everyday players. It's really hard to find the balance for those things and I think the matrix is in a RELATIVELY good spot. P.S. I also ragequit when I find 3 zinc on a row Baator, etc etc.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:41 am

I just shove them into my mining bag, then offload them in someone with Art. Or hire someone. Or just don't pick them up if you don't want them!

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:38 am

Woper_The_Black wrote:Things seem to be fine, you could say the same for 20 other items that drop in normal loot, if you don't want the gems leave them behind, just like irongut potions, various dusts etc etc.
I think you have underestimated my Hoarding tendencies... you really think I leave Irongut Potions behind? They are worth what... 8 gold?

TimeAdept wrote:The reason the warehouse functions is because PCs sell the loot they find. IT's not being filled with the 3 greenstones you find from the deposit, I can guarantee that. It functions and is useable by PCs who don't often leave town specifically because the raw ores drop from monsters.

Grinding the Bramble Woods is more activity creating than grinding set spots to hit rocks. you'd need to add a lot more of them to make up for all raw gems being removed from loot.
The reason the Werehouse functions right now, even though most of them are horrible managed, is that there is too many Gemstones in circulations, the mentioned statement that the Werehouse functions for PC's who do not leave town, would still be accurate, the prices in the werehouse would however, be different.

And honestly I don't think Grinding the Bramble Woods is a more activating method then grinding rocks, as the grinding of rocks then could be implimented into the werehouse system with someone systematically gathering them to sell in town.

e.g "Hello! I'm Dwarfy McDwarfface, I'm a dedicated Coalminer, I mine Coal!"

Or would you to counter such claim also desire Coal, (and any other material) dropped as loot?

nobs3 wrote:
azrael_athing wrote:My two cents in the matter would be to remove Raw Gemstones from the drops of creatures alltogether, forcing adventurers to travel to the specific location where the desired gemstone can be extracted.

Exactly.

But maybe only garnets, topaz, sapphires, and fire opals

And maybe increase the number of chunks you can get from deposits: the lower the value the more chunks. That way lowlevels can be send out mining e.g. greenstones for mages oder gems to make skleens...
Second this.