Stupid AI of horses

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

flower

Stupid AI of horses

Post by flower » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 am

Can we please get fixed AI of horses.

You get throwen down or when dismount, the horse ATTACKS any hostile creature around.

When fighting multiple enemies (none of them attacked horse) the silly AI of horse picked fight with all fo them despite being told to stand still. Even when clicking like mad "stand ground" command the horse still would try and gallop into the skirmish even if it happened metres away.

And the last annoying thing when my character dropped from it minutes ago and horse attacked archer almost two screens away and got shot.

Edit: also the falls from horse. I can ride for hours in a linie without single one and then she falls down like ten times in two hours.

Edit2: Right now she rode like hour in a row and then fell. Remounted. Fell again. Remounted fell again. I would expect, when you are bad at riding, to keep falling regularly and not it being that much random...

Kirito

Re: Stupid AI of horses

Post by Kirito » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 am

flower wrote:Can we please get fixed AI of horses.

You get throwen down or when dismount, the horse ATTACKS any hostile creature around.

When fighting multiple enemies (none of them attacked horse) the silly AI of horse picked fight with all fo them despite being told to stand still. Even when clicking like mad "stand ground" command the horse still would try and gallop into the skirmish even if it happened metres away.

And the last annoying thing when my character dropped from it minutes ago and horse attacked archer almost two screens away and got shot.

Edit: also the falls from horse. I can ride for hours in a linie without single one and then she falls down like ten times in two hours.

Edit2: Right now she rode like hour in a row and then fell. Remounted. Fell again. Remounted fell again. I would expect, when you are bad at riding, to keep falling regularly and not it being that much random...
The horse ignoring commands and just attacking stuff anyway is a somewhat normal NWN behaviour. Familiars/Summons/Animal companions can be just as stupid...

As to the horse falling stuff... a lot more is planned in this area but other things have pushed this down the to do list a little bit I'm afraid.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 am

I know that the riding is to be yet polished, it is just frustrating at this point. I can only hope that higher riding will least limit chances to fall down.

Can something be done with the AI? Assign to mount special AI to make them flee away from combat? Also change to how character mounts / dismounts and removing it from dialogue would help too, because right now is impossible to remount.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am

flower wrote:I know that the riding is to be yet polished, it is just frustrating at this point. I can only hope that higher riding will least limit chances to fall down.

Can something be done with the AI? Assign to mount special AI to make them flee away from combat? Also change to how character mounts / dismounts and removing it from dialogue would help too, because right now is impossible to remount.
The better you are at riding (and the better your balance is) the less you will fall off horses... (if you're barely capable of staying on a chair and only know which end is which of a horse you're going to have a bad time trying to ride one)

flower

Post by flower » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Kirito wrote:
flower wrote:I know that the riding is to be yet polished, it is just frustrating at this point. I can only hope that higher riding will least limit chances to fall down.

The better you are at riding (and the better your balance is) the less you will fall off horses... (if you're barely capable of staying on a chair and only know which end is which of a horse you're going to have a bad time trying to ride one)

I understand that just it seems weird to ride hour in a linie with no fall and then fall ten times in half hour in a row :lol:

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Horse got bored of carrying you xD the novelty wore off :lol:

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:02 pm

You could be terribly evil, and when the horse kicks you off, sic some fey on it.
Please don't feed my sister.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Have you ever actually rode a horse before...?

If you jump of a horses back and don't hold onto the reins or the lead rope, it will run away. The exception being very very calm and cuddly horses.

Horses have mood swings and can even get injuries which lead them to turn from a super pony to a devilish stallion that will buck and bronk to get you off like it's life depended on it.

Honestly, I can't count the amount of times I have been thrown off infront of or even half way over a jump, or fence because something spooked the horse or it wasn't feeling in the right mood :P
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm

It does not run away.

It charges hostile npcs like that orc arxher who was beyond players LOS even.

And in addition, this is a game, not real life simulator, so your commen is way off :P

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 am

To take your argument of flawed logic because this isn't RL?

Damn right it isn't..

So if your horse decides "Yeah, Nah!" and drops you on your hide so he can go and thug it up with some Orcs, then you shall absolutely have to grab popcorn...

Why should this horse be subjected to the standard definition of a RL Horse and RL Actions afterall?
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:52 am

CookieMonster wrote:To take your argument of flawed logic because this isn't RL?

Damn right it isn't..

So if your horse decides "Yeah, Nah!" and drops you on your hide so he can go and thug it up with some Orcs, then you shall absolutely have to grab popcorn...

Why should this horse be subjected to the standard definition of a RL Horse and RL Actions afterall?

If you cannot see that this thing is utterly broken, then it is your fight. Not mine.

BTW the AI goes even wilder than on summons.