Talassans and misslestorms

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

I hope you got money

Talassans and misslestorms

Post by I hope you got money » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 pm

While I think its cool to have Talassan Evokers be dangerous, when you hit a spawn that has more then two of them your party is going to die in less then a round. Just to give you a comparison, I was in there last night and we beat the boss no problem, but ran into a spawn with five evokers later and were dead in seconds. I realize that if you take certain feats and drink certain potions its not an issue, but without said feats....well, anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to make sure that spawns don't have more then two of these guys. Two will still be painful and potentially deadly, but at least is beatable.

Lorkas

Re: Talassans and misslestorms

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 am

I've gone there a lot over my last few characters, none of which had GSF: abjuration or easy access to Shield and my experience has been that it's tough to deal with more than 2 at once, but it's doable.

For as long as I've been on Arelith, that dungeon has been one of the few that are really great for rogues and other stealthers in the sense that scouting in stealth really gets you a huge benefit. Simply knowing that they're there is amazing, but what's really great about it is that if you surprise them by popping out of stealth very close (as you would if you were attacking them from stealth, or attacking someone standing right next to them from stealth), then it denies them their auto-buff sequencer. Bringing a scout with you and having the patience to let them scout ahead makes a big difference there, especially since they can signal you to drink invisibility potions before charging.

Also try investigating which of their saving throws are good to target, and hit them with something with an AoE that targets it and disables them. Whether with traps, scrolls, or an actual spellcaster, a spawn with many of these powerful mages is a real opportunity for tactics to shine.

If nothing else, keep a potion of invisibility in hand so that when you hear their auto-buff sequence go off, you can down it and either run or set up something that can take them out.

They absolutely require a tactical approach, and some characters are better than others at employing the tactics required, but abjuration/shield is hardly the only way to beat a group of them. There are a lot of approaches that work, and even some (other than abjuration/shield) that almost entirely negate them as a threat.

malice

Post by malice » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 am

Woah... 5 of them is really bad luck! I fight talassians with several chars of a wide level range and never had it. By the way as Lorkas said, stealthers eat them, monks eat them, KD owns them and if you are able to cast it, silence on a melee buddy that plays the human silence bomb, works well too (on my fav soul I cast it on myself and charge).
And of course, inside the fortress los is your ally. They can’t cast around corners and once they run to you is easy game.

I hope you got money

Post by I hope you got money » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 am

I get what you guys are saying, but (and I could be wrong) I feel like something has changed with them recently, be it stronger missles or more castings of it. I never had any problems with them before recently, but them spamming the spell has killed me in less then a round twice now. The first time I was alone on the mountain side and figured I deserved it, but after watching them take down a 350 hp paladin and a elder elemental and a level 18 cleric all in less then a round, I figured something was different. And like I mentioned in the first post, we had no issues with the boss making this random spawn actually scarier then what is supposed to be the scary part of the dungeon.

You are right about LoS though, so I guess that is how I tackle things in there going forward.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am

I went there with a level 19 cleric alone yesterday, so my observations above should be considered up to date (except the stealth stuff--it has been a little while since I brought a stealther there, but no more than a few weeks).

The largest single spawn of them that I faced on that trip was three, but it was easy to handle without even micromanaging LoS or using any other special tactics--just normal buffs on an elemental. 5 would have presented a larger problem, but would have been doable I think by actually applying some tactics.

Make sure your cleric is giving you guys SR. It won't work 100% of the time at your level, but it makes a huge difference.