The Minogon Plant

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Astral

Re: The Minogon Plant

Post by Astral » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Invader_Nym wrote:I'd say the dungeon is representative of the trend towards making things way more difficult without increasing the rewards proportionately.
Is there really such a trend tough?

I think most dungeons are way more interesting (sometimes harder a bit but sometimes also easier) since the AI update. I think mage mobs are a perfect example. Most of them used to just insta-buff all the lvl 7-9 protections and then spam Mord's and Horrid till you die. Now they cast spells in different order each time, so it adds unpredictability.

Further more, in my personal experience, exp is overall higher or the same in most dungeons and there is high value (value can be rarity, for sake of crafting, not just item flat gold value) loot even on goblins. The new additions of the Gnolls Den, Boogins next to it and Minmir Giants are all absolutely great dungeons for the mid-range lvls where characters are kind of in a fall off in their power curve (meaning they achieve high CR, respective to how strong they are in reality) until they reach epics. And these dungeons have, imo, insane reward for time, especially in the exp department.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 am

Oooh.. I haven't been there since the AI update, maybe the mages aren't as bad as I remember?

When I went there, the mages would instabuff w/AcidSheath then spam Horrid/IGMS until you die.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:22 am

The brain flusher room seems to bug on occasion. I'm not sure how or why, but the door to get at the switch becomes entirely indestructable, making turning off the machine impossible, and progression through the dungeon likewise impossible. If you can't hit the switch, you can't learn the secret, and therein is my biggest gripe about the minogon plant.

The absolute requirement for a perfectly dedicated lockspringer rogue is also a pain in the Snuggybear. There are many other places with artefact chests that don't require a dedicated rogue. The plant is also, in general, pretty cruel to them, given a total lack of other chests, locked(pickable) doors, and the inclusion of the minogons being sneak immune. A rogue is basically dead weight until the very last room here.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:18 am

Durvayas wrote:The brain flusher room seems to bug on occasion. I'm not sure how or why, but the door to get at the switch becomes entirely indestructable, making turning off the machine impossible, and progression through the dungeon likewise impossible. If you can't hit the switch, you can't learn the secret, and therein is my biggest gripe about the minogon plant.

The absolute requirement for a perfectly dedicated lockspringer rogue is also a pain in the Snuggybear. There are many other places with artefact chests that don't require a dedicated rogue. The plant is also, in general, pretty cruel to them, given a total lack of other chests, locked(pickable) doors, and the inclusion of the minogons being sneak immune. A rogue is basically dead weight until the very last room here.
It happens when one of the NPCs there interacts with the door. They're able to close it, and it's locked by default, so if they do so, it's closed until the area resets.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 am

Lorkas wrote:
Durvayas wrote:The brain flusher room seems to bug on occasion. I'm not sure how or why, but the door to get at the switch becomes entirely indestructable, making turning off the machine impossible, and progression through the dungeon likewise impossible. If you can't hit the switch, you can't learn the secret, and therein is my biggest gripe about the minogon plant.

It happens when one of the NPCs there interacts with the door. They're able to close it, and it's locked by default, so if they do so, it's closed until the area resets.
That seems like poor design to me, since it seems to happen quite often. Perhaps a way to make this not happen would be to make the door bashable, or re-tune their AI not to interact with the doors?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am

Oh yea, I was just adding a bit of detail to save the devs some work if they decide to fix that little bug.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 am

Cortex wrote:only cool kids figure out the last puzzle

Probably the longest lasting secret in Arelith.
All secrets are the property of the Bcliqueman!

Mythical

Post by Mythical » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Duel wielding a certain set of daggers made carving through those lovely minogons fairly easy.. didn't feel like dead weight. : P

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 am

After all these replies i cant wait to go there now. I relly would like to see more of dungeons like these withlots of secrets and puzzles or just places like Obsidian Asylum. Why not a dungeon with only good characters, or something nature themed, or underwater. Large places that only rare manage to see, and talk about it later.

condotierri

Post by condotierri » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am

I would also say it's a really enjoyable, and challenging dungeon. If anything you can take away from all the comments is that the dungeon is interesting and unique. I personally haven't passed the first few stages of the dungeon puzzles on any of my characters; while also asking many people IG about its secrets and it seems very few people know it (I haven't encountered any so far).

The dungeon itself offers great xp from mid tier characters who are willing to just do the first few floors that are accessible. Honestly, I wish more dungeons were designed like this for its difficulty and uniqueness, but to a lesser extent.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Lorkas wrote:

That seems like poor design to me, since it seems to happen quite often. Perhaps a way to make this not happen would be to make the door bashable, or re-tune their AI not to interact with the doors?
Ofcourse that's not by design, it's a bug, which afaik was never reported until now.
However, I've been checking the NPC AI code for this today and can't find anything that would make NPCs close doors, they should only be able to open doors (anywhere in Arelith really). So are you 100% sure you see them interact with the door object there, or is it closing as well when NPCs are not standing close to it?
I did find another thing that might have caused it, since all the Panels in the Plant could be interacted by NPCs in theory, so to make sure that they don't interfere, I've excluded them now.
Also added some nice extra's in the Owners chest.
Let me know if the door still closes after the reset, and if there is an NPC interacting with it yes/no, when it does.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 am

The easy way to fix it would be to just delete the door section at the end. I've always been a little puzzled as to why it's there.

Removing it would also get rid of the fact that if a player accidentally (or intentionally) closes the gate from the outside, it bars everyone else from running the dungeon until reset.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 am

Aha, I think some or all of you just haven't figured out how to open it exactly and got lucky in that case. It can always be reopened, so a reset should never be needed for it.

BattleDrake

Post by BattleDrake » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am

I just want to say, the Minogon Factory is by far, my favorite dungeon. It's always been one that's been challenging, but never seemed impossible, or luck based. I even made a character to specifically farm that dungeon solo. A kensai pure fighter who took acid resistance epic feats(And now with the addition of ankheg armor, anyone should be able to do this dungeon with very little difficulty). Now, he couldn't open the chest, and i didn't realize there was a way to get into it without a lockpick; but now that i know, i expect to farm that dungeon more often.

The only issue i have with it, is the continued issue with the bridge and the ballistas not turning off when they should. Makes it hard to convince lower levels/hp people to come along.

Recent Characters:
Aramis - "S'fine piece of art yer havin' there." (Shelved)
Eradyn - Trying to make the world a better place. (Shelved)
[Redacted] - ? (?)
Skek - Happiness in Endless Industry. (Rolled)

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Cortex wrote:only cool kids figure out the last puzzle

Probably the longest lasting secret in Arelith.
I know a certain goblin that figured it out quite fast and got payed with very very well for leading parties in the plant. I wondered how long it took that more did know it. Because there is a hint and it is a very classic riddle :)

I like it! And - even if riddles are quick to become common knowledge (but can get forgotten again) - IMO more dungeons could be spiced up by riddles and funny extra quests.

(Like there is a cooking recipe in a certain pirate place: It would be great if you could collect the incredients close by and cook a magic pirate stew...)

The brain flusher place can be the hardest part if you are unluck and it is filled with artificers - as far as I remember.

There are several ways to handle the balista. (Sadly we never managed to use the ballista against the Giant Prototype. That would be great...)

(The scrying was bugged once... but I think that is fixed)

As for the chest. DC 50 would be great. But no way to destroy it. So a common rogue in the party would do. (But maybe that is just me.)

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Welcome to Durlags Tower ... Erm I mean .. the minogon plant....
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 am

Rivace_Silver wrote:Welcome to Durlags Tower ... Erm I mean .. the minogon plant....
love Durlag's Tower tho