NPC Traps

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Ridiculously Circuitous Plans

NPC Traps

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Given that this has been brought up more than once in other threads:

How do people feel about the current situation with NPC traps? I personally really liked the overall concept, but have found it more than a little frustrating in practice.

The main issue I have is that the traps never clear if they are not disarmed. Basically, party 1 comes in, kills everything, avoids the traps they put down. Ten minutes later party 2 comes in, does the same. If neither of those groups had a trap disabler with, then party 3 has stacks of traps all over the map, often with 2-3 triggering on the same spot. If /they/ don't have a trap disabler, the problem continues to compound. I've had a few times where I've triggered 3 or 4 traps all at once.

Would it be possible to have the traps they lay disappear over time? Or perhaps limit the script so that the NPCs won't overlap traps?

Lorkas

Re: NPC Traps

Post by Lorkas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm

I've even had the NPCs stack them up when I was the first one through an area.

I really, really like that NPCs set traps now, but I think it'd be good if they were cleared when the area reset, or at least if there were a lower limit on how close two NPC-set traps could be to one another to prevent them from stacking up.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 am

I like them, but I've also stepped on stacks of up to four at once before, which was not fun. I wish they didn't do that.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 am

Would it help to have the cleanup script get rid of NPC-placed traps?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am

I'm not a fan, personally. I very much like the idea but, in practice, it seems to me to turn into a 'Gotcha,' unless you're in-stealth and able to detect and disarm the traps.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 pm

I love these. As a rogue player, it gives me something to do in the dungeons more now. And I can compete with those pixies for something! (Not really, Lol.)

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Tyrantos wrote:I love these. As a rogue player, it gives me something to do in the dungeons more now. And I can compete with those pixies for something! (Not really, Lol.)
That's honestly more an indictment of the rogue class than any sort of endorsement of this system.
Commissar wrote:I'm not a fan, personally. I very much like the idea but, in practice, it seems to me to turn into a 'Gotcha,' unless you're in-stealth and able to detect and disarm the traps.
Even then you're going to hit traps. I've had multiple parties go across a transition and hit traps immediately on the other side. No real way to avoid this other than never transitioning in a dungeon, which is obviously silly.

The trap laying could be removed entirely and I'd consider it a net boon to the server. All it really adds to my server experience right now is occasionally sap a heal kit, and occasionally kill me/party members with no real way to counteract it.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Tyrantos wrote:I love these. As a rogue player, it gives me something to do in the dungeons more now. And I can compete with those pixies for something! (Not really, Lol.)
That's honestly more an indictment of the rogue class than any sort of endorsement of this system.
I know. But you gotta take what you can get! Stay posetive and all that. But I see why you guys would be annoyed by it, as sometimes your party just walk abit too fast and step onto a trap which winds up killing them.