3 ogre mystics

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Invader_Nym

3 ogre mystics

Post by Invader_Nym » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 am

I just encountered 3 ogre mystics in a single spawn in the ogre caverns on the surface.

If the goal is to make the game more challenging you guys have succeeded. The game has reached the point where it's no longer a joy to play.

Invader_Nym

Re: 3 ogre mystics

Post by Invader_Nym » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am

Lost half my piety raising my fallen comrade too. I don't know if it's fair to call this change a 'feature' given it's literally designed to waste my time.

ephyrion

Post by ephyrion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am

If it's too hard for you there isn't the solution to go somewhere easier? I personally think the increased challenge is only a good thing.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 am

Why do you keep posting these angry threads

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 am

gilescorey wrote:Why do you keep posting these angry threads
Why do the developers keep making the game less enjoyable to play?

Who sat down one night and decided "You know what we need is traps everywhere, less potent healing kits, massive penalties to player piety for helping eachother out, and hordes of spellcaster enemies in every encounter. Oh, let's also make gold way harder and more annoying to collect by replacing actual gold coins with 15 annoying little nicknacks that clutter up the player's inventory and require more tedious vendoring."

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am

You've got valid concerns, but the tone of your posts isn't doing you any favors. The changes you describe we're not the the work of one developer, nor did they happen overnight. It is entirely possible that, put together, these changes have had unforeseen consequences, and there should absolutely be a discussion about that.

Problem is, the tone of this thread doesn't come across as someone looking for a discussion, it comes across as an attack, and that's not going to accomplish anything.

I'd suggest taking some time to cool down, get your thoughts and arguments in order, and THEN posting.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 am

Duergar slavedriver in Wharftown Boys Lair. . .

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

Cerk Evermoore wrote:Duergar slavedriver in Wharftown Boys Lair. . .
That has been toned down significantly already.

But yea: the feedback subforum is meant to be constructive. It is not a soap box for whining every time something from the game is more challenging than you want it to be. If you can't take a constructive tone, simply don't post.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Stop whinning Nym :P

They may not be 3 in one place (but may). But once combat breaks usually all NPC in surrounding areas rush to help their comrades.

Annoying, hard but i like it.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

There are spells that make you immune to that spell and turn that place into a cakewalk.
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:02 pm

That dungeon was designed to be very difficult to solo, but much easier in a party. I still intend to re-visit it though, as it was the first batch of monsters I ever made for Arelith.
:)

Devil Dog
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Devil Dog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Had my share of 3 mystics for a good while now. I like it though. Make me think, ok, im the idiot that came here alone so how do i work thru this. They have yet to best me, but have been so close.

Most of the time i am all about tactics. Ok, what if all of them charge me when i start firing off my bow. I look around for cover and make my back up plan. It might not look pretty, but my back up plans nearly always work. But then some people like things a certain way. When they updated the AI i panicked thinking no way eill i solo any more. But i still do. Just need to stop and think sometimes.

GilestheBard

Post by GilestheBard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 pm

I like the dungeon the way it is. It’s challenging but not overly so. The combination of NPCs force the use of tactics party or solo. Please don’t dumb it down and make it easy. There tends to be a slew of new complaint threads on this too easy or not good enough. Then dungeons become less challenging. Challenging dungeons keep the adventure aspect fun. Well done Cortex if these were some of your first monsters. It’s much better now than when it was gnolls. You breathed life into an old dungeon.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:22 pm

There are only two things I want to fix for now, to raise their CR a bit to be slightly more rewarding, and to make the Raid Chargers a boss instead of a common mob (they're only a common mob due to a miscommunication).

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Cortex wrote:There are only two things I want to fix for now, to raise their CR a bit to be slightly more rewarding, and to make the Raid Chargers a boss instead of a common mob (they're only a common mob due to a miscommunication).
Those things are brutalizers.
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Cortex wrote:There are only two things I want to fix for now, to raise their CR a bit to be slightly more rewarding, and to make the Raid Chargers a boss instead of a common mob (they're only a common mob due to a miscommunication).
Those things are brutalizers.
As they should be! But in my design, they were meant to be a mini boss, powerful but always only one. So multiple would be hell to deal with.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 pm

I put in a "suggestion" about that mob specifically. Good to know it was heard.
\

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I gotta agree on heal kit tediousness. pls make heal enchantable again, maybe by cleric enchanters only or something? I hate using a full stack just to get to full health, omg. Yes there is some rare heal specific gear, but no i ain't unequipping/equipping all my gear every time I need to use 1 kit ty.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 am

The Ogre mystics would ordinarily be game enders, but the ogre caves are full of twists and turns you can use to LoS juke enemies so you're rarely handling more than one at a time.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 am

If heal has got-to-has-to-forever be non-enchantable, how about like. A skill booster item that goes on gear like an essence?

Say forging, carpentry, and tailoring each get a set of related items that apply to gear made with that skill only, like the new repair kits.

So forging could get:
Armor Buckles (you get the picture) of X
X being either discipline or parry or something else martial-y.
Comes in lesser (+1) normal (+2), and greater (+3), and takes the defensive essence slot.

Tailoring could get whatever of X, X being heal, bluff, etc.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Yeah, compared with the rest of ogres, those Raid Chargers are higher damage dealers in comparison, it can be the difference between fail or success depending how many numbers of them you find about in a group, if you are trying to solo.

If combined with those lovely mystic I-don't-like-your-summons-bye, it increases the chances of losing incredibly, although I personally find it challenging and fun!

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am

+2 Heal rings/necklaces/belts/otherstuff spawns regularly all over the server, and shows up in player shops, just collect those with the enchants you want, take it to an enchanter to make it better, rinse & repeat until you have your favourite equipment.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:59 pm

greatfanfare wrote:+2 Heal rings/necklaces/belts/otherstuff spawns regularly all over the server, and shows up in player shops, just collect those with the enchants you want, take it to an enchanter to make it better, rinse & repeat until you have your favourite equipment.
I don't think I have ever actively sought heal skill on my end gear. But this is the way to go. I pick up +2 heal items every day. Maybe I should start selling them in a shop.