PDK Vanguard Final Stand

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

PDK Vanguard Final Stand

Post by Bashagain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:23 pm

(Vanguard 10): at ten class levels, enemies within the area of effect are immobilized for one round with no saving throw.

The ability seems incredibly powerful. Since most melee battles end in a round or two, and given that the allies in the area are available to take advantage of the immobilized enemy, its effect is similar to a party time-stop. I don’t think any character has attained 10th level PDK Vanguard since the update for us to see it in action, but just from the description, it seems overpowered.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Cortex

Re: PDK Vanguard Final Stand

Post by Cortex » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:41 pm

It's also a full round action in a relatively small AoE. Moreover, immobilized characters are only flat footed, they can still attack or act, they just cannot move.
:)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Also, timestop isn't removed by freedom of movement, restoration, remove paralysis, or greater restoration. Immobilize is.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:07 pm

It's useful for repositioning, or setting up an enemy for six seconds worth of sneak attacks. It's more like a single-round saveless entangle than a Time Stop.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 pm

So does this mean Kensai are immune to this?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Sab1 wrote:So does this mean Kensai are immune to this?
Currently, FoM removes the effect but it does not prevent it.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Cortex wrote:It's also a full round action in a relatively small AoE. Moreover, immobilized characters are only flat footed, they can still attack or act, they just cannot move.
If I'm immobilized and still able to attack something in melee range or cast a spell, does it not mean the flat-foot state will be over when I click one of those?
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Astral wrote:
Cortex wrote:It's also a full round action in a relatively small AoE. Moreover, immobilized characters are only flat footed, they can still attack or act, they just cannot move.
If I'm immobilized and still able to attack something in melee range or cast a spell, does it not mean the flat-foot state will be over when I click one of those?
No, it's as if you're entangled. You can be sneak attacked and some of your AC is negated. Sort of like darkness.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Entangle makes peeps vulnerable to sneak attacks?
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Yes.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 am

That's Cool. Now, how does this interact with my Kensai who has a real and perma freedom of movement?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:51 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
I'd take this to mean that you aren't immune to it. You'd have to cast FoM on yourself to remove it (and thus lose a round anyway).
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Astral

Post by Astral » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
yellowcateyes wrote:
I'd take this to mean that you aren't immune to it. You'd have to cast FoM on yourself to remove it (and thus lose a round anyway).
But Kensai has (I guess I'll use this term) "hardcoded" kind of Freedom (like the one you get on item property, rather than the spell) which is 'stronger' form of the Freedom status and its a fundamental feature in this path so one could argue that they should be immune to ANY cc that isn't a mind effect, especially cc that a Freedom spell does remove. However, I understand even if my logic made sense to the dev, it would probably be impossible to separate kensai freedom status from the spell effect after it's already casted. So I don't expect any changes here.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:22 pm

If the script doesn't check for any of the immunities granted with kensai freedom (paralysis, entangle, slow, and movement speed reduction), then it will bypass kensai freedom.