Dragonshape bug, or unlisted update.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cortex

Re: Dragonshape bug, or unlisted update.

Post by Cortex » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Bat totem is probably not keeping its permanent true seeing for long.

And on your 'most played classes' point, they are largely irrelevant to what is powerful and what isn't. A WM is easy and fun to play/level, a dragonshaper would take far longer to obtain it's big cookie, which was really, really broken.
:)

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 pm

*In swoops Wytchee to derail yet another thread because she has nothing better to do*

All totem forms need a rework.

Give them access to appropriate cross-class skills like listen (bat), discipline (bear), and tumble (snake) with automatic skill foci and epic skill foci in those skills at appropriate levels. The fact that my eagle totem druid is capped to 16 spot unless she dips ranger feels silly and restrictive.

For example, a parrot totem would gain 4 bluff at druid level 1, then 1 bluff each druid level after that, ending up with 33 bluff at level 30. She would also gain Skill Focus and Epic Skill Focus: Bluff at appropriate levels. The bonuses would be soft and count towards the +50 cap. I feel this would add a bit more functionality to useless totems (Charisma on a druid? Why?).

In exchange, possibly have it so totem druids can no longer multiclass, therefore preventing any possible "double dipping," grandfathering in those who have multiclassed.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

rookie

Post by rookie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Maybe post it in the suggestions section instead?

Personally I'd rather see totems just as a cosmetic thing. Remove the -4 to physical stats, remove the -polymorph command and just have animal wildshape always look like the totem animal, and keep animal companions/summons looking like the totem animal.

Then do a short balance pass on wildshape to remove monk synergy but leave it with a bit more AC/attack base. Though honestly with expertise you can be in the front line of combat right now with the vanilla animal forms without a monk dip, especially as a group of NPCs will be dividing their attacks between the druid, summon, and companion. A +1 magic staff and +2 more AC for normal animal forms and +2 magic staff and +3 AC for dire would probably cover everything and give the druid the ability to pierce weak DR without needing stoneskin.

Edit: Meant to say "without a monk dip".
Last edited by rookie on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 pm

rookie wrote:Maybe post it in the suggestions section instead?
I did.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Wytchee wrote:Give them access to appropriate cross-class skills .
Granting new class skills is something that very likely will have to wait until Arelith with haks.

One possibility is skill ranks added automatically on level-up, so long as the form is balanced around the free skill points.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Wytchee wrote:Give them access to appropriate cross-class skills .
Granting new class skills is something that very likely will have to wait until Arelith with haks.

One possibility is skill ranks added automatically on level-up, so long as the form is balanced around the free skill points.
Is it not possible to grant them soft bonuses to these skills as well as the appropriate skill foci feat without haks? We already give totems soft bonuses to skills. Check out my post in suggestions. :)

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Wytchee wrote:Is it not possible to grant them soft bonuses to these skills as well as the appropriate skill foci feat without haks? We already give totems soft bonuses to skills. Check out my post in suggestions. :)
It's possible to grant those things for free via script. But making those things select-able as in-class features on the level-up screen is not something that can be done without haks.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Wytchee wrote:Is it not possible to grant them soft bonuses to these skills as well as the appropriate skill foci feat without haks? We already give totems soft bonuses to skills. Check out my post in suggestions. :)
It's possible to grant those things for free via script. But making those things select-able as in-class features on the level-up screen is not something that can be done without haks.
That was the idea, yes.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:05 pm

All right then. I might give it a real read later. A re-do of totems is not on the near horizon (especially since we'll likely see a slow-down of class-focused updates while everything settles), but it is something on the radar.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:All right then. I might give it a real read later. A re-do of totems is not on the near horizon (especially since we'll likely see a slow-down of class-focused updates while everything settles), but it is something on the radar.
Yep. It was probably stupid of me to post any suggestion, anyway, since it's all opinion and the walls of these forums are literally made of salt.

I'm aware the intention is to slow down class-specific updates for the foreseeable future. This was just something that I wanted to throw out there because I've always felt Totems were implemented clumsily.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Diegovog wrote:I remember seeing a post not too long ago with the classes and combinations count in the server. If I remember right, WM was by far the most played class while druid was at the bottom along with dwarven defender, wasn't it?
And this is the biggest nerf I've seen by far from my time in the server.
If you thought dshape was unbalanced why not take slow steps in a class that isn't even that widely played?
population based balancing is one of the worst things you can ever do.
\