Horses

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Seekeepeek

Re: Horses

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:29 am

Did see a youtube movie about weapons. apparently the design of weapons went back and fort between stabbing (straight blade) and slashing (curved blade). as far as i recall slashing was good cause it left a lot of wounds people would die off at a later time, cause of infection and lack of penicillin. while the straight blade was more like instant death. by the end of the medieval times..the weapon became somewhat of a combination of the two. was a while back when i did see that movie tho, so don't take my word on it.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 pm

>Thread about horses
>All the self-professed "history buffs" come in and start rambling about "muh realism," "muh spear is best weapon," etc.

If I wanted a realistic combat system I wouldn't play NWN or anything even remotely derivative of DND. If you can suspend your disbelief about how elves feeding their children morningdew actually makes about no sense at all, you can suspend your disbelief about people using different weapons on a horse. Please stop being that guy.

Kalyco

Post by Kalyco » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 pm

I made my Palidan years ago and was excited and reinvigorated but the possibility of rideing - the vary basis of the Knightly class. Taking away the basis reward for being a Palidan - the ability to summon a Holy Mount -- is depressing at best!

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:31 pm

I was sad to see it go myself, but I recognise that balance wise paladins especially post power boost not being able to summon a mount on the fly is a nessecary change.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 am

Seekeepeek wrote:Did see a youtube movie about weapons. apparently the design of weapons went back and fort between stabbing (straight blade) and slashing (curved blade). as far as i recall slashing was good cause it left a lot of wounds people would die off at a later time, cause of infection and lack of penicillin. while the straight blade was more like instant death. by the end of the medieval times..the weapon became somewhat of a combination of the two. was a while back when i did see that movie tho, so don't take my word on it.

I did not want to meddle in this kind of things but...

Curved blades were less effective against armours. Chainmail, platemail both well protected vs slash. That is the reason why main design in Europe was straight blade on swords. Yes, you slashed with straight sword pretty much, but not aiming for an awsome slash across belly, but for impact, causing shock on body, shattering rings on mail, or crashing helmets. Long, heavy blade was built for that.

When armours began to retreat from armoury, curved blades were adopted much wider....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAh78K_hqVU

Let the cavalry clashes begin! :D

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:44 am

Uuuuurggghhhh.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm

How could you stab me in the back like this flower?? how could you??????

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Top ten anime Arelith betrayals.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:55 pm

That's why scimitars should be 1d2 and no keen vs anyone with an armor bonus.
\

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:34 pm

You also need to take into consideration how magic, and spells or abilities play into it. Its why focusing too much on realism is silly and pointless. Fun and thematic over less fun and realistic imo.

Also, some of the scimitar models look more like messers or falchions then cavalry sabers.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:10 pm

All The Sinners Saints wrote:You also need to take into consideration how magic, and spells or abilities play into it. Its why focusing too much on realism is silly and pointless. Fun and thematic over less fun and realistic imo.

Also, some of the scimitar models look more like messers or falchions then cavalry sabers.

Yes, well restrictions on weapons for mounted combats i suggested because some of them are already powerful on foot, and is pointless to make one weapon one bag for everthing.

Anyone already figured out "first cavalry weapon"? I would like to know these things before i put away 10 lvls for de level -... :roll:
gilescorey wrote:How could you stab me in the back like this flower?? how could you??????
Just because Drow wears white cloak does not mean you wont get stabbed into back! :lol:

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:16 pm

The TV show Time Commanders definitively state that the reason the Romans failed to conquer Scotland was NOT actually because its cold, shit and no-one wants it, but actually because the Scots employed two-handed axes, which took out the horse's legs very effectively. Therefore, since dwarves are Scottish and use axes, I propose they get +5 attack and damage vs mounted cavalry.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm

WinkinBlinkin wrote:The TV show Time Commanders definitively state that the reason the Romans failed to conquer Scotland was NOT actually because its cold, shit and no-one wants it, but actually because the Scots employed two-handed axes, which took out the horse's legs very effectively. Therefore, since dwarves are Scottish and use axes, I propose they get +5 attack and damage vs mounted cavalry.

What? All studies why Britain fell was because inability to deal with romanian infantry, where did you také that cavalry was that decisive?

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Britain never fell. England fell. The Romans just built a big damned wall to keep the Scots out.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Sure, real big wall. Not like it was chest-high or anything.

And if Time commanders really said that, they must've been talking out of their asses. The large majority of the legions were infantry core (with the exception of some auxilary legions that had a cavalry focus). It was the fierce winters, rugged northern terrain and distance from the capital that were chief reasons behind Romes disinterest in britannica.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 am

Nitro wrote:Sure, real big wall. Not like it was chest-high or anything.
Was and is are two different things. It was originally 3-5m high, but it's been mostly dismantled for other construction projects, which is why it is only chest-high today.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 am

3m is the accepted height a wall needs to be to be 'untraversable.'
\

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm

>be me
>be stath
>be want ride horses to larp as a knight
>rage roll many characters
>no medium
>grind
>medium, make riding char
>roll character because ooc
>take riding again
>roll because ooc
>use medium -ecl
>roll at 24, minor
>8 ranks now

the ride never ends
how deep does the rabbit hole go
i want off this wild (horse) ride
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?