Horses

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dreams

Re: Horses

Post by Dreams » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 pm

In the space of me going to sleep and waking up, the original problem I have gets that much worse...

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Don't know what to tell you. All we know is that more overhauls are coming so don't plan on or for anything.
\

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Awhman. I used a ride gift and have been RPing my character as "heavy cavalry".
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 pm

First of all, I thank the dm’s, devs, and code contributors with all my hearts. As always, you have my full trust and support. I am certain that in few weeks, points I bring up below would be moot, because they would have been addressed after rigorous testing and review.

Now, as a player who has total bias for Paladin characters, I should be jumping in joy for all the blessings that the Paladin class has been getting recently. And I understand that it’s exciting to undertake an ambitious project to overhaul something and make it new. But with so many things in life, moderation is the key to happiness. The current level of perks that come from having mounts do seem pretty excessive. After all, I believe many of us are just happy to look at our characters on horseback, moving faster than they normally move even without any mechanical advantages. +1 here and there for riding would be cool, but more than that, the whole gameplay shifts dramatically.

Going from a mount-disabled server to mount-enabled server was a wonderful, positive change. That each character has to have a minimum prerequisite skill points to ride is absolutely brilliant. But bonuses that have been discussed above is like getting a chocolate ice-cream cake filled with bourbon, topped with dripping honey and frostings... with not one, but three cherries on top. It’s just way too sweet. We need to return to balanced, high fiber hay-diet for the horses. Maybe then, all Paladin characters would be able to enjoy their ability to summon their mounts once per day without getting bashed, again and again. ;)
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm

I think anybody should be able to ride horses without ranks in ride.

The ride skill should be used for simply performing mounted combat actions.

maybe by making mounting a horse give -15 to AB and all skill points. which is offset by the number of points in ride you have. (if you have a horse gift then this doesnt apply)

so if you have +1 in ride, you only have -14 skill/ab, +2 ride then -13skill/ab, etc..

if it were like this you can still get around on them just fine but wont be riding them into battle or danger anytime soon.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Should just have a 'minimum base ranks' to ride some horses, which do nothing but give more movespeed and prestige. Want a 150% speed nightmare? 27 base ride. 3 ride? Enjoy the mule. Mounted combat as a feat just removes the base ASF and gives +2 to hit (same as ranger outdoor bonus).

Then add some kind of horse call item that Epona-summons 'your' horse that you kitted out via whatever system is about to be introduced.

My 2 cents.

Better then what was proposed initially, a change that translated to a free +14 dodge AC and +10 AB, making being on a horse better then permanent true-strike and divine shield.
\

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 am

I would love to see mounted combat result in previously subpar weapons becoming better. Like Longsword getting bonuses when being used on horseback, and something like a spear or halberd getting bonuses vs a pc on a horse.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 am

All The Sinners Saints wrote:I would love to see mounted combat result in previously subpar weapons becoming better. Like Longsword getting bonuses when being used on horseback, and something like a spear or halberd getting bonuses vs a pc on a horse.
Yes, I'm very much in favour of certain polearms being good against mounted units, and having weapons like a horseman's flail being good for the rider.

Right now I'm just trying to flesh out the ideas for the horse breeds/types. I would like almost all (the non-combat trained horses) to have a vulnerabilty to fire, meaning that if one is using a torch in the off-hand when fighting there is a high chance they will throw the rider and bolt.

If anyone is interested the breeds currently being consider are as follows:

Common Breeds (covering about 90% of the horses on the module) are Cart Horse/Pony and Riding Horse.

Rare Breeds are Wild Horses (Caught in the wild) and Thoroughbreds (Purchased from an NPC) and Heavy War Horse (Restricted to certain guilds)

Special Breeds are the Nightmare, Arcane Steed and Darrowdeep Destrier (Light War Horse)

While some of these have certain special abilities, the general consideration is maneuverability vs combat potential, sacrificing more of one for less of the other.

Only 3 of the above will have any significant combat utility, I'll let you all figure what those are!

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 pm

I would like to point out that many polearms like scythe and similar are widely used by barbarians and so on and already have devastating dmg on target.

The dismout in combat...you cannot re mount unless you change it Irongron. And even with low chance if it happened then rider looses all he invested into mounted combat. That would mean dismount forced by PCs would be awfuly powerful.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Uh. Scimitars are already the meta and they are designed for mounted combat. The reason my character uses a scimitar. The curved blade prevents you getting caught on enemies. Longswords would not be ideal.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Also as of last night I got on a horse, combat log was spammmed with 'You need at least 8 ranks to ride' which I have, and then repeatedly telling me I've been thrown off the horse, which wasn't happening. My combat log was quickly nothing but yellow text, and I just got off the horse and walked.

Recommend rollback to whatever it was a few days ago when you could ride anything with the 8 ranks, everything ran at 150% speed, there was no throw-off, and then keep it that way until this new feature is complete and implemented. It's a mess as it is and I don't believe it should have been deployed in its current half-complete state.
\

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Uh. Scimitars are already the meta and they are designed for mounted combat. The reason my character uses a scimitar. The curved blade prevents you getting caught on enemies. Longswords would not be ideal.

Longswords were ones of the most common cavalry weapon. Afer spear. In europe.

But yes...

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:14 pm

flower wrote:
Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Uh. Scimitars are already the meta and they are designed for mounted combat. The reason my character uses a scimitar. The curved blade prevents you getting caught on enemies. Longswords would not be ideal.

But yes...
Up to the 17th century, after which the modern cavalry sabre took over, which is a lot more scimilar to the sabres that eastern cultures had used on horseback for centuries.

I'd say the riders of the horses already have enough bonuses at the moment, but giving spears and polearms a buff against mounted combatants would be neat.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

- The legacy Ride Reward now substitutes for investment in the Ride skill, rather than stacking on top of invested skill ranks. The substitute ranks are equivalent to 5 + Hit Dice.

My lvl 30 horse gifted character have 4 ride atm, is this applied on level up?

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:13 am

My two cents as someone who has a character with the horse riding award, I'm not a fan of the complexity applied to the system. I just wish the system remained the same but horses became available to everyone as if they had the old reward. It should remain an aesthetical thing with no mechanical bonuses.
Last edited by Umskiptar on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Seekeepeek wrote:- The legacy Ride Reward now substitutes for investment in the Ride skill, rather than stacking on top of invested skill ranks. The substitute ranks are equivalent to 5 + Hit Dice.

My lvl 30 horse gifted character have 4 ride atm, is this applied on level up?
From what I've been told, it's accounted for in the code and does not show up on your character sheet. You don't have to relevel for it.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Umskiptar wrote:My two cents as someone who has a character with the horse riding award and uses a longsword, I'm not a fan of the complexity applied to the system. I just wish the system remained the same but horses became available to everyone as if they had the old reward. It should remain an aesthetical thing with no mechanical bonuses.
+1
\

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:55 pm

flower wrote:Longswords were ones of the most common cavalry weapon. Afer spear. In europe.

But yes...
Uhm, nope. Sabres and lances. Using a spear on horseback would throw you off the horse upon impact. As for longswords, curved swords work better on horseback, unless you want to break your wrist :)

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:58 pm

I just tested IG, and I was still able to summon and mount the special paladin warhorse with my paladin. Is this an intended but undocumented part of the recent mount update or is it a bug and is functioning in an unintended manner, and I should avoid using the mount until its fixed? I dont have the horse mount reward, if thats relevant.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:14 pm

flower wrote:

But yes...
Longswords were common for only a few centuries from horseback, and mostly when the Knight had already spent their spear/lance and stopped charging (lest they lose their sword). The hunnic army for example used curved swords, maces and daggers, the Nords used shortswords, axes, spears, the Romans used gladius and eventually the spatha which was a bit longer - but none of them actually used Longswords in combat - longswords were only a common cavalry weapon for a few centuries (albeit the most thought of centuries when one thinks of the Medieval Period).

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 pm

be a man and use a scythe while riding
:)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Cortex wrote:be a man and use a scythe while riding
I agree. If you aren't wearing a skull mask with a flaming scythe atop a nightmare -- well, basically I don't even have time for you.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 am

Umskiptar wrote:
flower wrote:Longswords were ones of the most common cavalry weapon. Afer spear. In europe.

But yes...
Uhm, nope. Sabres and lances. Using a spear on horseback would throw you off the horse upon impact. As for longswords, curved swords work better on horseback, unless you want to break your wrist :)

I compare Arelith to medieval times.

There are numerous spears. Normans used spears. Not lances. My nation used cavalry spears for ages. Lance was buisness of later medieval time. And my nation never used curved swords. It was thing of middle East or eastern Europe. Common weapon for medieval knight from early to top period of medieval in Czech lands were cavalry spear and longsword, mace, morning star, axers.

The lance came into use when cavalry tactic more developed, relying on hitting and crashing trough ranks of infantry. It gave rider further reach over infantry man. Prior that spears were widely used.

OF course i come out based on my culture roots. Someone from middle East could consider as common thing sabre.

Not Enough Skillpoints

Post by Not Enough Skillpoints » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 am

Historically speaking, the best cavalry were half-orc bear-riders from the proud equestrian nation of This Is A Fantasy Game. Even they were bested by the concave inverse shiltrom tactic used at the battle of Internet Amateur Historians.

Clearly, the weapon that should be granted mounted bonuses would be the Light Hammer, and the best anti-cavalry weapon should be the storied Doublesword.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:02 am

flower wrote: I compare Arelith to medieval times.

There are numerous spears. Normans used spears. Not lances. My nation used cavalry spears for ages. Lance was buisness of later medieval time. And my nation never used curved swords. It was thing of middle East or eastern Europe. Common weapon for medieval knight from early to top period of medieval in Czech lands were cavalry spear and longsword, mace, morning star, axers.

The lance came into use when cavalry tactic more developed, relying on hitting and crashing trough ranks of infantry. It gave rider further reach over infantry man. Prior that spears were widely used.

OF course i come out based on my culture roots. Someone from middle East could consider as common thing sabre.
Uhm, Poles, Germans and a lot more developed European nations used curved blades on horseback for ages. It's not a "Middle Eastern thing" as you think. A longsword would be (presumably) impractical on horse.

Besides, what weapon a nation's cavalry used is kinda irrevelant to the point. The point was that if a weapon will get a bonus on horseback, it should be a bashing or a curved weapon. Straight blades are the least advantageous, giving them a bonus on horseback would make no sense.
Last edited by Umskiptar on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.