UCL (Undead Caster Level)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

hoshi

UCL (Undead Caster Level)

Post by hoshi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 am

It would be nice if tiers 1-3 (pre-mummy dust) were no longer gated behind UCL but instead just character levels, or add bard/blackguard levels to counting for UCL. I find it a bit odd that you have items like the craftable "Harp of Haunting" that must have a bard crafter, bard only, that you can use to create 3 ghouls/zombies. Maybe the item was designed for those that only dipped bard, just seems odd.

Back when you'd get 2 henchman and 1 summon it made sense that you needed the knowledge to work with a corpse to create a higher tier undead, but now that all 3 are summoned critters it seems reasonable to me at least for a character to be able to pull out Wights/Mummies if their total levels are 16+, or Ghasts/Tyrantfog Zombies if 11+. Especially as elemental swarm items and summon/gate scrolls have no limitations themselves.

Maybe I'm biased due to wanting to play a Dirgesinger though.

Dreams

Re: UCL (Undead Caster Level)

Post by Dreams » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:00 am

If bard levels counted, it would open up some amazing thematic builds. You could bard song to buff your summons, you could potentially be a warlock that deals more with undeath (thinking Orcus pact here). I'm hoping it is considered!