Dwarves and the elusive dwarven waraxe

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Traitor

Re: Dwarves and the elusive dwarven waraxe

Post by Traitor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Code: Select all

952  FEAT_WEAPON_FOCUS_DWAXE                        83318    436         ife_X2WFDWAx     1              ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****        ****        ****        0            0            1                ****     ****  ****    ****      1       ****       1          ****       44         227        ****       ****       ****       ****     ****             ****      ****              FEAT_WEAPON_FOCUS_DWAXE                        1               ****        ****     ****          ****     ****        0          1         

Code: Select all

954  FEAT_IMPROVED_CRITICAL_DWAXE                   83320    228         ife_X2CrtDWAx    8              ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****        ****        ****        0            0            1                ****     ****  ****    ****      1       ****       0          ****       44         227        ****       ****       ****       ****     ****             ****      ****              FEAT_IMPROVED_CRITICAL_DWAXE                   1               ****        ****     ****          ****     ****        0          1    

there you go

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Alright, made the changes to those as well, hope it works server-side only.

Traitor

Post by Traitor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Do you think you could upload the two updated .2da files, feats and baseitems somewhere so players can put them in override?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm

The hope is that it's a server side only change, once the server restarts, it should be clear

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Kirito wrote:The hope is that it's a server side only change, once the server restarts, it should be clear
I think Traitor's point is he'd like these as overrides so he can use them in single player modules.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 pm

I tested this server-side with a new dwarf fighter. With an empty override folder, I was unable to select Weapon Focus: Dwarven Waraxe.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Traitor

Post by Traitor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:10 pm

I tested it with a ghetto made override

players will need an override to have the options and will even be able to take the weapon focus feat from the beginning, however, in game if you take weapon focus daxe

u get a server message that says: "Character doesn't have prerequisite feats." I have never seen this when messing around in NWN before. Is this an Arelith anti-hack measure?

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Same.
Intelligence is too important

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:30 am

Is it probable that we'll find a solution to the weapon foci and crit feats? Too excited with this buff that I can't keep myself from trying an ask!

EDIT: Also, not sure if intentional but doing -twohand for a dwarven waraxe does not provide the +2AB.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:54 am

-twohand never provides +2 ab, only damage.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 am

Iceborn wrote:-twohand never provides +2 ab, only damage.
Ok, gotcha. Wiki makes it sound like it might with bastard sword explicitly saying it doesn't get the +2AB, while nothing for the new notes on dwarven war axes.

"Can be toggled to one handed/two handed with the -twohand command. Bastard swords, however, don't receive the bonus above when they are two-handed using the command."

"Dwarves can wield this weapon without taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.
Dwarves can also -twohand this weapon."

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 am

Well, that's because prior to this update, we didn't have any other -twohand-compatible weapon :P

Well, we had ogres, but who cares about 'em?
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Iceborn wrote:Well, we had ogres, but who cares about 'em?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:46 pm

See what I mean?
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Iceborn wrote:-twohand never provides +2 ab, only damage.
On a shifter in drider/epic minotaur forms, -twohand definetely provided an additional +2 attack bonus in addition to the extra damage. It seems though that whenever I equip a weapon that is naturally counts as twohanded (such as a gnome wielding a morningstar), I would get +2 attack bonus, so perhaps it wasn't directly provided by -twohand, but it did come along as a result (could be the weapons counted as 1-handed before in the large shapes?).

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I think all Large sized should get the +2AB/+2Dmg while everything else, medium, gets +2 Dmg only.

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm glad that dwarves get easier access to this waraxe now, but is there a chance other medium sized races can -twohand it? Kind of lame tbh.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

ActionReplay wrote:I think all Large sized should get the +2AB/+2Dmg while everything else, medium, gets +2 Dmg only.
While I don't type "-twohand" for the following (because I can't in this case), equipping a quaterstaff on a human comes with a free +2 attack bonus, the "attack increased" icon appearing/dissapearing as you equip/unequip the weapon. The same thing happens on my svirfneblin with a morningstar. I'm not clear on whether this boost is intended or not, but this is likely why one might assume the same to happen when -twohanding a normally one handed weapon.

The combat log shows
"Weapon equipped as a two-handed weapon."
"Two-Handed Weapon Bonus Granted: +2 Attack Bonus"
on my svirfneblin equipping a morningstar.

Ps. Also, to memory the damage bonus gained on a drider scales with strength (and this is for
-twohand as opposed to the above, I think it was +½ strength mod, fitting with that it should be 1.5 * str mod for twohand in d&d).

Punished Hans

Post by Punished Hans » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am

Traitor wrote:I tested it with a ghetto made override

players will need an override to have the options and will even be able to take the weapon focus feat from the beginning, however, in game if you take weapon focus daxe

u get a server message that says: "Character doesn't have prerequisite feats." I have never seen this when messing around in NWN before. Is this an Arelith anti-hack measure?
I'd like to ask an update on this. Can we expect this to be changed (as in, having the override locally and not getting thrown off the server by Arelith Hak protection)?

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:55 am

We'll need to have a chat about this in the admin team. For now, our policy is to prevent people needing local overrides to be able to play Arelith and get access to mechanics. So, I'm leaning towards not making them available.

But..., since I've started this, I'm thinking about other ways to get the dwarven waraxe feats available without local overrides. I'm thinking a command that gives the option to switch a weapon focus feat to weapon focus dwarven waraxe, and similar for the improved critical feat. So you should just choose some weapon focus feat you do have access to, and then use the command to switch it to dwarven waraxe after (none reversable ofcourse). I know this is far from perfect, but it would get the job done without the need for local overrides. Will see if I can work on this soon.

Traitor

Post by Traitor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Dunshine wrote:We'll need to have a chat about this in the admin team. For now, our policy is to prevent people needing local overrides to be able to play Arelith and get access to mechanics. So, I'm leaning towards not making them available.

But..., since I've started this, I'm thinking about other ways to get the dwarven waraxe feats available without local overrides. I'm thinking a command that gives the option to switch a weapon focus feat to weapon focus dwarven waraxe, and similar for the improved critical feat. So you should just choose some weapon focus feat you do have access to, and then use the command to switch it to dwarven waraxe after (none reversable ofcourse). I know this is far from perfect, but it would get the job done without the need for local overrides. Will see if I can work on this soon.
that could also be p sweet

TheRagingGoblin

Post by TheRagingGoblin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 pm

How about some tie in to the battleaxe feats with dwarf as race? (the dwarven war axe is an extra 2 possible damage on it, otherwise identical).

The idea being dwarves with weapon focus battleaxe also gain weapon focus dwarven war axe. Same for the other feats.

How hard this would be to code, especially for prestige class requirements/feats (WMs), I'm not sure.

Only drawback would be that dwarves without martial proficiency still can't invest feats into the dwarven waraxe. However, if you look at DnD 3.5+Pathfinder the dwarven waraxe is a martial weapon for dwarves (not every dwarf has access to it).

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 am

I went with that last suggestion, it's the cleanest solution imo. It also prevents characters who were swinging a warhammer all their lives, from switching to dwarven waraxe all of a sudden. Combining Battleaxe/Dwarven Waraxe makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Intrepid42
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Intrepid42 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 am

Dunshine wrote:I went with that last suggestion, it's the cleanest solution imo. It also prevents characters who were swinging a warhammer all their lives, from switching to dwarven waraxe all of a sudden. Combining Battleaxe/Dwarven Waraxe makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the suggestion.
Nice!

Traitor

Post by Traitor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Has this been tested to make sure you can take imp crit / specialization, and whatnot?