Horse gift

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Seekeepeek

Horse gift

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 am

HORSE RIDING

- Horse riding no longer requires a reward, but does require 8 ranks in Ride Horse
- Summon Mount is disabled (Those people who previously spent a reward on Horse Riding retain the feat)

NOTE: We will looking at compensating those who recently selected this reward.
Just curious how this will be handled. should i not log in my horse riding Character (who spend a gift on it) before this is settled or can i play it as i please?

i haven't "recently selected this reward", but it's some years old, will i still gain compensation?

any plans to make more then 8 ranks in horse riding mean anything? (kinda spend 33 on ride on my Character, cause of role-play)

flower

Re: Horse gift

Post by flower » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am

Seekeepeek wrote:
HORSE RIDING

- Horse riding no longer requires a reward, but does require 8 ranks in Ride Horse
- Summon Mount is disabled (Those people who previously spent a reward on Horse Riding retain the feat)

NOTE: We will looking at compensating those who recently selected this reward.
Just curious how this will be handled. should i not log in my horse riding Character (who spend a gift on it) before this is settled or can i play it as i please?

i haven't "recently selected this reward", but it's some years old, will i still gain compensation?

any plans to make more then 8 ranks in horse riding mean anything? (kinda spend 33 on ride on my Character, cause of role-play)
Been answered elsewhere.

More features to come. But Irongron will not rush it in and také some break now.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 am

Rolled my horse character, then afterward realised this was a thing. Should I just enjoy that minor reward? :/

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 am

Hard skill point/base ranks

More ride features will come in time, as will fitting out one's horse with superior gear, and adding saddlebags etc. I'm in no great rush to do that quickly though. This update has been the work of many weeks and I'm pretty exhausted. Think its long past time I got some actual play time in.
since you provided no link, i guess it's this?

kinda don't answer all my questions tho, unless you have other links.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 am

Yes

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

A quick fix in the meantime for those with the horse gift could be to give them a -2 ECL.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Though the -ecl is a nice idea it's kind of redundant for the Horse Gift characters already at level 30.
I'm sure whatever the Admins decide to give as compensation to horse gift chars will be suitable though.

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Examining the strengths and long-term viability of the gift of riding for your character is essentially the same as looking your horse gift in the mouth.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 am

Hrm...

Is it to complicated to search player vaults for gift and simply credit the award back to the CD key? I know I would have chosen something completely different...
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Crossing the Rubicon

Post by Crossing the Rubicon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm

I've had my horse gift active since February and honestly I hope that people who have the gift just keep being able to ride horses so I don't have to wrestle with my skill ranks at this point in time.

Is there any word on if people with the gift need to invest in ranks?
Alea iacta est.

Not Enough Skillpoints

Post by Not Enough Skillpoints » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 am

Crossing the Rubicon wrote:I've had my horse gift active since February and honestly I hope that people who have the gift just keep being able to ride horses so I don't have to wrestle with my skill ranks at this point in time.

Is there any word on if people with the gift need to invest in ranks?
This would be wonderful. There are players who have roleplayed equestrian characters all this time, who suddenly find themselves in a lurch because their Horse Award no longer functions.

If the Horse reward could at least let existing characters continue to ride horses, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:34 am

For now I've added grandfathering of horse ride chars to be able to still ride horses.

Might be we go with a different solution soon, but rest assured, any change will involve people with Horse Ride gift still being able to ride horses.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 pm

TBH, I'd rather see everyone riding horses than everyone running all the time. Besides, I think that the initial reason for horses being tied to a gift were performance issues rather than "uniqueness". Being mounted doesn't really give you much more mechanical benefits than a guaji root does. Why not just let everyone take the ride now? :mrgreen:

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Perhaps the simple fix is giving those that took the gift a bonus to the Ride Skill high enough to be worth the gift used. No one would really complain about free skill points, right?

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am

Eh, the bonus would be arguably worthless.

Most characters take about 20 ranks in UMD anyway, leaving 10 or more ranks unused with nowhere to go. Investing in horse riding is really a formality.