New AI

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Mango Reinhardt

New AI

Post by Mango Reinhardt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Firstly, I like the new update in principle, as pulling one at a time always felt a little silly to me.

However, after playing with the current AI for a while, I've noticed it may be behaving in an unintended way (or else I am just extremely unlucky).

Basically, when you shoot one, it does the call for help as normal, but if it makes another enemy go hostile and come for you, they seem to also do a call for help. This leads to constant chain pulling until all the creatures are headed your way, and sometimes it brings in multiple groups if one creature from another happens to meander too close to the group you are dealing with. I've also noticed situations wherein some of the mobs in an area can see a long distance (I.E. archers who spot you and start shooting as soon as you are in range) can apparently lead to situations where members of three different groups or more come charging in for a fight as they each 'call for help'.

Perhaps I've just been getting unlucky, as I said, but thus far I've only had two instances out of maybe 50-60 groups fought wherein I didn't end up pulling the entire group with 1 arrow, whether they are of the same race or not.
"Well hello, consumer, yes hello consumer bop bop bop bop be da bup bebop cola~ yeah~!"

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: New AI

Post by CragOrion » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 pm

It's a very realistic reaction, though it does increase the difficulty a bit. If it gets to be too much of a problem, maybe the enemies can be adjusted slightly to be made a little easier. Like lowering the HP so we can kill them a little faster so we don't get swarmed and massacred

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

CoastalSurf

Post by CoastalSurf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm

The chain pulling thing certainly seems like it could be quite the problem in the long run. Initial target has 50% chance of pulling others, first one pulled has 50% chance of pulling others, etc etc. With lower level spawns it's not as much of a problem but the mid-level things seem to do this far far more often.

Maybe just the initial target makes the check to see how many it pulls?

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Name sure to keep a closet eye on the summons, familiars, companions, and henchmen. Their AI is already abysmal and they love drawing aggro. With the new system, you may end up with every enemy on the entire map hot on your tails.
I haven't tested that yet because i expect the worst case of adventuring if i try it.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Quoted from the Kudo's thread:
CoastalSurf wrote: Certain NPC hostile rogues may now sometimes lay traps against PCs. This will not be the case with low CR (Starter Level) hostiles.
I've been seeing this, but the traps are sometimes in really strange places, like completely covering a building but nowhere actually steppable.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 am

The chain reaction of multiple groups being pulled has really squashed my will to adventure. Bad things happen, and I am more than willing to roll with the punches, but this change has drastically changed the way AI functions so much that it becomes impossible to travel in areas without being swarmed.

I shouldn't have to worry about 3 wyverns jumping on top of me when I trigger the first spawn in the Heights.

If we're going to change AI, it would've been best to release a wholly complete rework than slowly accumulating changes to that goal.

Giftstoff

Post by Giftstoff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 am

Ork wrote: I shouldn't have to worry about 3 wyverns jumping on top of me when I trigger the first spawn in the Heights.
This has always had a chance of happening at heights.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 am

Giftstoff wrote:
Ork wrote: I shouldn't have to worry about 3 wyverns jumping on top of me when I trigger the first spawn in the Heights.
This has always had a chance of happening at heights.
I am wholly familiar with what can happen at the heights. That was not the case in this scenario.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:49 am

There hasn't been any change in how such spawning is handled. I can only guess that another PC had fled that area previously, leaving the Wyverns behind.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 am

JediMindTrix wrote:I've been seeing this, but the traps are sometimes in really strange places, like completely covering a building but nowhere actually steppable.
That shouldn't be possible - the center of the trap must be on the walkmesh. Screenshots would help!
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 am

Mango Reinhardt wrote: Basically, when you shoot one, it does the call for help as normal, but if it makes another enemy go hostile and come for you, they seem to also do a call for help.
Hm, quite possibly. I'll take a look at the code when I get a chance.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Once in LowerDark we went trough spawns (invisible) to preserve our combat powers (spells).

Once the fight broke out, all npcs from all regions behind ahead kept stalking us and ambushing us from behind. All spawns we left behind like 3-4 locations kept springing up to help their (now already) dead comrades stalking us several locations :lol:

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:17 am

flower wrote:Once in LowerDark we went trough spawns (invisible) to preserve our combat powers (spells).

Once the fight broke out, all npcs from all regions behind ahead kept stalking us and ambushing us from behind. All spawns we left behind like 3-4 locations kept springing up to help their (now already) dead comrades stalking us several locations :lol:
What, you mean you made a massive noise in an area and nearby creatures came to investigate, then tracked you down from the fight? That sounds properly intelligent of them. :D

flower

Post by flower » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

Mithreas wrote:
flower wrote:Once in LowerDark we went trough spawns (invisible) to preserve our combat powers (spells).

What, you mean you made a massive noise in an area and nearby creatures came to investigate, then tracked you down from the fight? That sounds properly intelligent of them. :D

I am not sure how tens of Magma Giants are sentient and inteligent :lol:

Just saying horde of NPCs from all locations even like 3 away from us came to join fight. But it is some time, and did not happen since it.

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Okay so I had my fair share of experience with the new AI and wow I'm amazed. Everything is amazing. They communicate, they fight eachother sometimes, they put traps on spawning sometimes, they call for backup. It's a new era in Arelith boys! Thank you!
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am

is a super cool update, so kudos to you Mith for the work. :)
Now i don't feel like Leeroy Jenkins when i ruin it for the luring guys. yay!

Ridiculously Circuitous Plans

Post by Ridiculously Circuitous Plans » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm assuming this is related to the new AI, so I thought I'd point it out.

About 1 in 10 groups i fight since this update will have between 1 and 3 creatures which don't fight back. It seems to happen after the 'calling for help' script has already triggered and they fail their roll, so they do not join the fight. Basically, once I kill whichever ones do pull in, the remainder will occasionally just stand there and stare at me as I murder them.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere :)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 pm

NPC's trap stack and honestly it's more annoying, then fun or challenging.

Someone commented that an area looked like a checker board too.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Can confirm, having pushed 3 lowbie PCs up into the early teens recently - NPCs placing traps isn't challenging or fun. Just annoying as all get-up.

The new AI changes also are somewhat frustrating if you didn't end up rolling a new character up with a group of friends - good luck trying to get much of anything done if you aren't swimming in AC, or if you can't Great Cleave through half the spawn in a single round.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Yea I didn't that'd be as much of a problem until I pulled an all nighter last night and saw no more than 20ish players on C&P and 10 on Surface for hours on end.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 am

I'm assuming this is related to the new AI:

Ran into a Wendigo and a Huge Ice Troll today. Ice Troll used their frost breath or whatever it is. Wendigo was in the area of effect. Wendigo immediatly stopped attacking me/my summon, and went to punch the Ice Troll. Ice Troll, upon being punched, proceeded to beat the Wendigo to death. Neither attacked me or my summon again.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 am

Ogrillon Chieftains have the new Terrifying Rage, it's a little overtuned.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 am

Boogin Spiritualists cast elemental swarm. Feels a bit too strong for the average difficulty of their area.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo