Lead ore

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

gilescorey

Lead ore

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:46 am

Is only used in two recipes: lead ingot, and arsenic poison.

Lead ingots are used in two recipes, both of them tailoring: the net, and the new Duelist's cape.

This feels like an extremely redundant, silly resource that could easily be removed and the recipes containing it have that particular part replaced with something else so that it doesn't "pollute" ore veins by mere virtue of its existence.

Its use is, to my eyes, far too niche to justify its continued existence.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Lead ore

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 am

Simplifying the resource system would help ensure that discovering a vein has a high chance of being a rewarding experience.

I can't see lead as having anything but niche uses in a game about d&d adventurers.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:11 am

Or just take it out of the vein system but leave it in place inn the recipes, and also leave that one vein of it in the mountains as having lead 100% of the time.

I think a lead ingot is also used to craft fishing poles.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 am

Lorkas is correct, it is also used in fishing poles, and the "junior" small size fishing poles.

My point remains pretty much unscathed, despite.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 am

Maybe lead could be used to make gonne slugs as an "Alternate recipe"?

Lead Ingot + Alchemist's Fire = Gonne Slugs
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:51 am

You could, but imo that doesn't really fix the issue of "this ore is used in a single digit of recipes." It just makes gonne slugs really easy to make, depending on how lucky (unlucky?) you are to find a lead deposit.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 am

The main ways to look at it would be to either remove it on redundancy reasons, or add a score of new recipes that do utilize it to make it useful. Could go either way.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 am

Remove it from the random script but leave a permanent node above ground and one somewhere below.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am

gilescorey wrote:Is only used in two recipes: lead ingot, and arsenic poison.

Lead ingots are used in two recipes, both of them tailoring: the net, and the new Duelist's cape.

This feels like an extremely redundant, silly resource that could easily be removed and the recipes containing it have that particular part replaced with something else so that it doesn't "pollute" ore veins by mere virtue of its existence.

Its use is, to my eyes, far too niche to justify its continued existence.
Delete both lead and tin - Replace with arsenic (for both bronze and poison making - using bronze in the net and cape recipes)... Put it in common tier.

Cut down on the potential number of resources you could mine - make all of them actually useful.

Edit:
TEMPORARY ESSENCES

Added in the full range of craftable Temporary Essences, at +1D4. These are produced in stacks of 10, at DC 12, with 24 Required Points. They all require the following ingredients.

1 Ingot Lead
1 Lesser Catalyst
10 Bottles
5 Gems (The low range of gems is used here, malachite etc)

DC 12
Required Crafting Points 24

END PRODUCT: 10 Temporary Essences (+1D4)
This changes things a little... However I think using lead for the purpose was a mistake, when you could have cut down on the number of resources in game (call it streamlining, if you like!) and create larger demand for the remaining ones.
Last edited by Aodh Lazuli on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 am

Lead is also used in the arsenic recipe, its a poison in itself, but also a component for other poisons, and now also used for Temporary Essences.

Bronze has a lot of uses - some new items, as well as fixtures and lesser catalysts. I'm happy with the resources we have, and will be considering further uses for them in future.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

Ah, the reason I suggested arsenic is because it can be used in bronze making instead of tin, in addition to being the poison...
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:20 pm

i am convinced irongron implemented these temp essences solely to post brutal owns at me

well played..........